what the
Years ago

BASA locator

on the BASA web site they have a basketball "locator" - where you type in post code and then they find or direct you to a club.

So far I've typed in Port Adelaide postcodes and been directed to Norwood.
Typed in western postcodes and directed to Norwood ???
Typed in a Fullarton postcode - and totally ignored Sturt.

All i can say - BASA - do not go into courier services !

at the end of it though - I like the little addition to the web site.

Or has the person a BASA tried to divide Adelaide up into club zones / catchments ??

mmmmmm.......

Topic #1584 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

I typed in the postcode of Marden, and got North Adelaide.

Reply #18123 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I realize it is a basic program - type in postcode and it just scans then matches what BASA have put - obviously Libertine it is out of whack.

it amused me that if i lived at birkenhead down the port - Norwood was referred

If I was a greenhorn - and using that search - i would follow that advice - which to me, is double dutch - i know it does not matter where you live as to who you play for - but it does influence recruiting hatchery if everyone is channeled to a certain club.

i only hope they have dived the population up evenly.

PS - i was not having a shot at Norwood by my original post - i thought it was amusing that if i lived at lockleys - i was sent to Norwood or South by BASA, and woodville ignored by the search (only down the road)

If they divided the postcodes evenly - this can be a mistake as population demographics vary greatly postcode to postcode

Reply #18131 | Report this post

Map of Tassie  
Years ago

I typed in the postcode for the Cemetery, Parklands and the Airport. It directed me to Forestville. Now tell if you think zoning is appropriate. Neither of the above places has ever produced any decent juniors!!

Reply #18144 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Apparently living in Ingle Farm exculdes one from club competition as no matches were found on my search.

Reply #18157 | Report this post

molten  
Years ago

looks like someone at the BASA office has little project next week

Reply #18179 | Report this post

Danny O'Brien  
Years ago

Thank you for your feedback on the Association/Club Locator.
The Locator is an initiative of Basketball Australia as part of the National Interfuse website.
You will appreciate that it is new and will have teething problems.
Basketball Australia is to be commended for it and supported in its development.
It is an excellent initiative and will be a very useful tool particularly when those teething problems are remedied.
Similar problems are being experienced in other States and not just South Australia.
The search is based on Association and Club contact data supplied by the various State organisations including BASA.
The Locator works from postcodes.
Clearly not all postcode areas will have a basketball contact.
Recently (within the last three weeks I believe) there has been added to the site the software used by Yellow Pages which should provide contact information for all Clubs and Associations within a ten kilometre radius of any postcode, in many cases providing more than one option.
Hopefully this will have improved the accuracy of the service however I have no doubt that there will still be anomalies
The process of identifying them will be helpful in improving the service.
As I am the point of contact in South Australia for the website I would be grateful for any assistance the users of this forum can offer in identifying these anomalies so that I can report them to the website designers.
My email address is [email protected]

Reply #18293 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Great Idea and Im sure it will work it self out.

Reply #18294 | Report this post

wha the  
Years ago

thanks danny - appreciate your work

Reply #18317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754