Anonymous
Years ago

Shoe Recommendation for Ankle Support

What's the best ball shoe recommendation for ankle support?
I have a grade 3 ligament tear in my ankle that never quite healed (surgery is my reluctant next option) but am due for some new kicks.
I heard AND1 had a good style that came out with good solid ankle support in addition to taking my ankles.
Any recommendations from what anyone has tried?

Thanks.

Topic #15848 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops- that should read, TAPING my ankles!

Reply #186610 | Report this post

Moose 21  
Years ago

shoes do not provide ankle support. Even high cut shoes.

What i'd recommend is that you strength your ankle ligaments through excercises (ie, wobble board/resistance movements etc) and strap for a little while until you've regained strength and confidence.

Reply #186612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron 4s used to tape ever game had ligament tears etc but wearing them i dont even need to tape anymore

Reply #186613 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Tape, tape and more tape. I dont think that any shoe helps. I've tried every different brand of shoe,hi or low and still hurt my ankles. As said before strengthen the ankle and tape until you get confidence back.

Reply #186614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've strengthened the ligaments as much as they will co-operate with exercises and electromagnetic therapy amongst vitamic c loading for collagen, ligament and soft tissue repair over that time- amongst other things. (the injury was a year and a half ago)
It's moreso a good shoe that I'm after to help balance that level of care I've put into it, so I've done as much as I can from the inside, now just need a good shoe to maintain it.
I have been taping them both, but my physio also acknowledged that unlike bone, the ligament won't grow stronger- it will always be somewhat compromised.
He also said that the benefit of taping although good, tends to lose it's affect the first 15 mins or so.
I'll still keep taping them though.
Has anyone tried the AND1 shoes- what did you find?

Reply #186616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont touch and1 i destroyed my ankles wearing them the air max 360 were good for em and the lebron 4's are the best very supportive and the ankle straps in shoes prolly the bets support u will get out of em, wo help ur ankles u need a pair that hav good cushioning and a strap

Reply #186618 | Report this post

Fat Bottomed Girl  
Years ago

Well if you want a really good shoe you cant go past asic netburners, but you will be teased for wearing them.....if you are not a girl!

Reply #186619 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

Yeah - not a fan of And 1`s at all... Modern era Fila`s (if anyone ever got sucked into buying Fila BBall shoes (as i was) in the mid-90`s you will know what i mean - is it just a coincidence that both of their big-name stars - Mash and Hill had significantly knee/ankle injury comprimised careers? - not forgeting Hingis` claims about Fila`s and their effect on her career (along with the coke))...

Reply #186622 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

That said though the colorways and designs do look good... Much like the Filas did as well -

Reply #186623 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I wouldn't go near And 1s either - they destroyed my ankles.

I have found that Adidas sneakers fall apart far too easily and hance lose their rigidity very quickly.

I have never had a problem with Nikes. Not so much the new school razzle dazzle ones, but the simpler basketball shoes - something like the Uptempo.

Reply #186625 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

I got a pair of the Uptempo 3`s last year and cant fault them: Good solid construction, light, excellent support and the reinforced eylets will let you torque up the laces without any worries...

Reply #186627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

since i done my ankle a few months ago ive started wearing my old Zoom Lebron II's with the strap around the top
these have worked fine and i wore my low jordans one social game and twisted it again

Reply #186629 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

i've had nothing but bad luck with my ankles. so i def have to agree with the tape. nothing compares. i broke my ankle wearing those f'n stoopid lace up braces. tape is costly. but if your a tru baller...you pay to play. also, not a fan of the nike shox. had a shawn marion pair. looked great, but the high heel puts huge stress on your patella.

Reply #186636 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The one and only pair of And1's I bought were and will always be the only pair I ever buy. 'Nuff said.

Reply #186641 | Report this post

Leopard 94  
Years ago

Huarache 08's its like a vag for your foot.

Reply #186648 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I hate And1 shoes.

I don't mind T-Mac's Adidas boots especially the dark blue ones which I still currently own.

Jordan and Lebron's are good shoes.

D Wade's Converse range is pretty good too.

Reply #186650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys- some good food for thought.
I doubt a lot of those older style shoes that some of you have continued would be easy to source- I guess I'm just not so sure about buying shoes online/ internationally.
Is that how some of you have done it and if so, have you had any problems with perhaps exchanges, etc if need be?
How reliable would buying those older styles with better support be?
Thanks again for the help so far.

Reply #186657 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Buying online is generally ok.. just make sure you buy from a trusted source that doesn't sell fakes.

www.designerathletic.com is one such trusted source.

Reply #186661 | Report this post

Milklicker  
Years ago

I swapped over to New Balance a few years ago and have had no problems. I was having ankle/feet issues with other brands prior to that.

Available online through aperfectdealer.com (I've bought 3 or 4 pairs from them).

NBs are available in widths too to accomodate gentlemen with substantial girth like me.

Reply #186667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys,
Your help has been fabulous.
I'm a bit worried about getting burnt online but glad to hear some of you have done it without any problems.

Reply #186669 | Report this post

Sugar  
Years ago

By far the softest (best shock attenuation) shoes available are any nike with zoom air throughout (zoom air is under 30psi compression while air max is 25psi and normal encapsulated air is under 15psi), nike use EVA as mid sole material while And 1 and some other brands are still using PU (poly urethane) as midsole material, PU is lighter and more durable but is much harder (better for street baler shoes which I think And 1 is mainly about). For ankle stability you need to either lock/hold the calcaneus (heel bone) in place in the shoe with a strong well fitting heel counter (hard bit at back of shoe) and/or have the shoe wrap around the arch of the foot, holding the foot in more of a neutral position. It doesnt matter how high the shoe is generally if the foot ( heel and mid foot/arch area) can move with-in the shoe, the high cut just provides true ankle joint (talo-curual support) while the actual joint sprained is more closly related to the joint underneath the ankle, thus a shoe which is more snuggly fitting around the heel is the better option. I would look at the nike zoom bb 2 or any of the jordan range that has full length zoom air cushioning while providing a snug fit around the heel and arch area. Also i would tape the ankle, stirrups, figurs 6's and a heel lock and top it off with ASO ankle braces for maximum stability. Any other shoe or ankle related questions just ask

(Mod: Great info.)

Reply #186673 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

A few quick points (and Isaac has my email if you want to talk further):

Blew the living sh*te out of my ankle (broken talus, busted ligaments all over the place, needed to be surgically put back together) last year in And1s after suffering stress fractures the year before in the same shoes. They are the most comfy shoes to wear but for performance and safety, they are trash. Sensational leisure shoes though.

Nikes still fit the bill. Buying online is fine if through a reputable site. I buy through Eastbay.com, as do other players I've played with for several years. No hassles and a good range and good prices, esp if you're not fussed about orange, light blue or other "US College-style" colours. The US-AUS dollars are about the same, so all you pay is a $40 delivery fee and the shoes are yours. I bought two pairs of Nikes recently and they're great. Aim for what you want though and as the previous poster says, it's all about how the ankle is supported, not how high the boot is.

That said, bring back the Nike Air Force 180s with dual pumps and super-high cut. They were the bomb. Mind you, at $420 .....

Reply #186678 | Report this post

Hedley  
Years ago

From a just under mid twenties ABL'er who has two ankles needing a reconstruction since U18's but just doesn't want to take a year out, strapping combined with bracing is surefire.

I have the weakest ankles of anyone out there, but strapping each ankle with stirrups and heel locks (do not use figure eights), combined with McDavid lace up braces has meant that I haven't had an incident with my ankles since the initial damage ten years ago, with a whole heap of bball since.

In my extensive experience, the shoes (high top or otherwise) make no actual difference. Taping correctly and tightly, combined with tightly laced braces, means that your ankles are, in a very real sense injury proof, and this is a big point because most players tape so loosely and with so many wrinkles that they might as well use that time as prayer period instead.(tape tightly! and brace those suckers twice through each hole, get to training 5 minutes earlier)

Reply #186688 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Air Jordans are simply awesome when it comes to ankle support.

Wore the 13s last year, and they held up great when I rolled my ankle during games. Never injured once.

Now wearing the 23s, and they too are sturdy.

Have not experiences any issues regarding performance or otherwise with either shoe.

Reply #186759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks guys- really good cross-section of advice there.
I have only ever bought Jordans without question (I currently wear 22's) but just needed to be sure if there was something else I could be wearing that may make a tiny difference.
I'm supposed to get surgery on it but very reluctant to do so, partly because it's expensive, as well as there's no guarantee that it will 'take' and the rehab time will be a total pain in the butt.
Thanks again.

Reply #186861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754