Quagmire
Years ago

Eastern conference finals - predictions? (Spoiler?

Garnett will be shut down by Wallace.
Pierce will have a tough time against Prince.
Allen will continue to struggle against Hamilton, who i predict will score a ton of points this series.
Rondo is gondo against Billups, injury or not.

If the playoffs are really about matchups, then this season is over for the celtics.

Home court to the celts, Pistons will pinch one there, close out at home so i say Pistons in 6 or less.

Topic #15876 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Holy crap! totally forgot the spoiler element!!! so sorry if i stuffed it for anyone. Totally my bad.

Reply #186853 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Is that the same Wallace that played on the loosing Cavs team?

Reply #186856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DAM UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #186857 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Really sorry anon. Like, gutted sorry man.

Rasheed wallace Kent, not Ben.

Watch him drag Garnett away from the paint by stroking the trey. Leave the key open for Billups, prince and of course Rip.

Also- I still have doubts about the celtic coaching staff...

Reply #186860 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

I'm predicting Detroit, 4-3. Boston have been stretched this playoff series, I don't know if they've got enough in the tank if their big 3 don't all play well.

Reply #186863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boston in 7 and ray ray to finally fire

Reply #186866 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Boston in 7, in fact Boston to win it all with each series going to 7 games ... the playoffs are about home court advantage ... Hamilton to be knocked out by PJ Brown, Rondo to destroy Billups, Big Baby to average 20 points in the fourth quarter alone..

Reply #186872 | Report this post

Hoops 47  
Years ago

If Lakers meet Celtics in the final, who's got the homecourt advantage as they are both 1 seeds in their conference?

Reply #186884 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

i think the celtics because they had the best record in the league, that would seem to be the logical thing but who knows

Reply #186888 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

detroit will win they are coach better and have a solid finals squad. boston have no sparks.

Reply #186906 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anyone notice how Tayshaun Prince has the head of a chimp? Always strikes me as rather chimp-like.

Anywho, Celtics in 7 games; as I hate Detroit but realise they can actually play.

KG will average 20/10 across the series; Allen will play 2 games scoring 30+ppg and die in the arse over the other 5.

Pierce will cry when the Celtics lose their first home finals game, then do the happy dance when they get it back in Detroit.

Reply #186907 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

the team with the best record will have home court in the finals. so either Boston or Detroit will have home court.

I think a lot hinges on the injury to Billups.

Doc Rivers is a liability, but Flip Saunders hardly has a great post season reputation.

Reply #186920 | Report this post

Tayshaun to dominate (as usual)

Detroit to win. in 6 games

But my predictions have been so terrible this year that the celtics will prob win in 4

Reply #186928 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Well, Pierce scored 40ish in game 7 to somewhat mitigate Lebron; goes to show that they can fire up, but lately they've seemed too lax, it's hard to actually put confidence in them winning games.

Reply #186933 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No chance Quagmire. Prince never plays well against Boston because Pierce is too big and strong for him. He lost his matchup with Pierce in all 3 games this year. Nothing has changed in the last 4 years.

Wallace will do as good a job as anyone on Garnett, but he won't shut Garnett down. KG can score on anyone in this league when he wants to. My only concern with him is that he does not always take the best shot option at the end of games.

Billups has a bulk and experience advantage over Rondo, but I have a lot of faith in the Rajon Cajun. He will cause Billups as many problems as Billups causes him.

Hamilton could cause us problems though, as Ray has done a LOT of work chasing Johnson and (omg) EVEN Wally) for 14 games. But I'm not worried, Hamilton will shatter into a million pieces the first time Perkins steps out aggressively on a pick! LOL

If anything gets the Celtics it will be fatigue and poor offensive execution. Should be a good series but I think my Celtics will prevail 4-3. (Gotta keep that road streak alive!)

Reply #186948 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mark: so either Boston or Detroit will get homecourt in the series? What makes you say that?!?! LOL

Reply #186950 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

boston or detroit will get Home Court in the NBA finals he is saying.
Garnett is All NBA Defense wallace will be shut down and forced to jack up half a dozen 3s a game.
With Billups injured Boston to win the series 4-1

Reply #186958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R Wallace is known for getting in early foul trouble and he will get in early foul trouble going against garnett. So wallace wont be a factor

Reply #186960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line..should be a great series and if rumours are true, we'll get to see every game.

Unlike last season we should be in for an exciting finish to a pretty good season.

Reply #186971 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

It will be exciting if there are ROAD WINS!. This "home court" victory crap is boring the shite out of me. Was nice to see LA finally break the drought, but I'd prefer to see another Boston-Cavs series with the comeback from behind to tie @ 6 games scenario.

Reply #186990 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Beantown- Pierce averaged 15.0 points on 35 percent shooting against Detroit in three regular-season games.

Big Marty- "KG will average 20/10 across the series; Allen will play 2 games scoring 30+ppg "
I was just going to ask what drugs your on and how do i get my hands on em.

KG is not a 20/10 guy. He is a 15/13 guy at best.

If he doesn't close out on Rasheed expect treys and in tight, defensive, games a string of treys can kill you. If he does get out to Rasheed, celtic D takes a bit hit in the paint.
My prediction- close games, decided by this match-up in closing moments. Either Rasheed hits or misses.

C'mon Rasheed!!!!

Reply #187004 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Quagmire:

Sure Wallace can draw a big guy away from the paint, but that also means he isn't a threat on the offensive glass.

I think the Celtics will send Perkins at Wallace as well as Garnett and even when it is Garnett who is drawn out, the Pistons will find Perkins is very solid defensively.

I'll agree that Pierce didn't go off against Detroit this year, but watching the games, he was getting the shots he wanted, just didn't knock them down in 2 of the 3 games. He contributed well during the game overall and to me, didn't seem bothered by Prince at all. Prince on the other hand averaged 5 pts @ 23% !!!

I haven't got time to look up the stats, but I have watched several games over the past few years where Pierce dominated the SF position in games against Detroit.

Also, don't know where you get the idea KG is a 15/13 guy at best. His playoff avg this year is 20/9.9 and all time (playoffs) it is 22/12.6

Wallace's career playoff pts/rebs is just 15/6.7 (and it is even less this year).

Wallace is a good player, but there is no reason to think Wallace will shut KG down. If anything, it will be the opposite. KG is still a top 5 dominant player in the league. I watched him average 24 ppg vs Wallace this year and he shot over the guy at will.

I think this series will still be close though. Detroit has a lot more experience together in playoff games than the Celtics do and the Celtics lack of experience (esp. Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Big Baby) has really hurt them so far (too many mistakes in pressure situtations). This could cost them against a team that has shown its ability to execute at key times. The backcourt matchups will also be huge for this series, because I think both PG and SG matchups could go either way.

Reply #187086 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Beantown;

Sorry for the KG sledge, but he is frustrating me right now with his lack of crunch. Hey, maybe he will score 20+ for the series and i'll eat my words.

It's hard to make a call on KG having not seen him play all that much. Duncan i have seen play and even if he scores only 15-20pts, you know he is the reason parker and gino get so many looks.

Is this happening for Ray and Paul? From what i've seen it really isnt, allen would be shooting much better than he is if he were getting open looks, and all the paul highlights i've seen have him scoring in a one-on-one...

And dude- no love shown for the detroit back court...
Machups could go either way? Serious? Really showing your bias there man, billups and rip will carve.

Reply #187151 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey Quagmire,
KG did have a big one today. Might be that he took Bill Simmons article to heart: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3403820

Having said that, I can see why people knock his clutch play. At times I think it is just a case of him getting TOO MUCH adrenaline at big moments. But overall I think people should lay off him, because the Celtics are nowhere without him. He just does sooo much else for his team throughout a game, he really is phenomenal.

To answer your question about Ray and Paul, he has got them (and everyone else) a lot of good looks this year. Paul has been almost nonchalant in scoring his points quite often, because KG takes away so much attention from him.

In the playoffs, the Celtics have really struggled to get a good offensive rhythm in most games. There are a lot of reasons for this, but I don't consider KG one of them.

He often sets high picks for Paul, Ray and Rondo. Paul generally gets a lot of points by taking advantage of these picks, using them to turn the corner and take it to the basket or pull up for a J.

On the other hand, in the playoffs, Ray has struggled to take advantage of these same picks, with his man often getting over the pick and keeping him from penetrating or getting an open look.

Unfortunately, the Celtics don't run enough double screens IMO to free Ray up curling around via the baseline (Reggie Miller style). During the season, the best scoring plays for Ray were as a trailer on the break or after a kick out from Rondo or Pierce. Because both Atlanta and Cleveland have really packed the key, that has not been happening enough in the playoffs and when it has, Ray's shot has just been really horrible.

As far as bias goes, well you got me, yes I am a Celtic lover. I recognise that most neutrals would pick Rip and Chauncey as a better combo than Rondo and Allen, but like I said, I think this series could well come down to how those matchups go. I'm hoping I'm biased AND right, because if Rondo and Allen play well, the Celtics are going to the Finals!

If you get a chance to watch the ECF keep an eye on Rondo and let me know what you think. He frequently blows my mind with the plays he can make and his speed makes me think of a raw Tony Parker just before he broke out a few years back.

Reply #187308 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754