skip
Years ago

Ingles withdraws from NBA draft

Has deferred until his final year of eligibility.

Article here

Looks like we will see him in Adelaide on June 17 then.

Topic #15880 | Report this topic

the_champ33  
Years ago

Goorjan will have him ready since he'll return to the Dragons.

Reply #187016 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

whats june 17 (apart from being my birthday) did you boys buy me Jo Ingles??

Reply #187017 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Whoops, should actually be June 18th. Boomers v Iran game.

Reply #187018 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Good move IMO - he will learn what it takes to get there (ie more size/bulk) and have a pretty good chance next year IMO

Reply #187038 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Smart move by Ingles, exposure at a world class level @ the Olympics will help him out greatly. May end up catapulting him to a 1st round high end pick. Who knows?

Reply #187041 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Reality check- Ingles is a dime a dozen. He will never play an NBA game. To be in the NBA you must be able to do ALL things at a high level, plus have a niche that makes you special. ie, speed, shooting defense, athleticism. From watching our boy it seems he is good at most things, but no way is he special at anything.

Would you pick Hodge or Ingles? Hodge by a mile, and Hodge can't make it to the NBA... Case closed.

Good luck to him in Europe.

Reply #187046 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

what about scalabrine? he aint special, let alone great at everything

Reply #187065 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

"Would you pick Hodge or Ingles? Hodge by a mile, and Hodge can't make it to the NBA... Case closed."

He does make a good point here...

Reply #187080 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Good point with Scalabrine- he is actually a tough defender clubs like to have as a "practise" guy. He scored really high on some b-ball personality test that danny ainge puts a lot of stock into- and it landed him that contract. He is a great arguement though....

Reply #187082 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ricey, have you SEEN how well Veal Scalabrine waves his towel from the bench? Let me tell you it is a thing of beauty!

Tend to agree with you Quagmire, Ingles would be lucky to make it in the NBA from what I've seen of him. Would love to see him return to Adelaide and play for the Sixers though. We could really build a successful long-term contender around Ingles, Holmes and Schenscher.

Reply #187087 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The NBA draft beyond the first few picks is often based on POTENTIAL - of course Hodge is a more polished player than Ingles, but clubs draft players with a long term view - Who knows, with the right coaching and development, Ingles could be the next Tayshaun Prince.

Reply #187090 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I would say the strongest reason for Ingles' name being in draft talks is that he isn't a dime a dozen. 6'8 left handers who can handle the ball and create plays for others are rare in the Basketball world.

Reply #187100 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

Ingles should have went when his stock was hot, i.e. after his first NBL season. After more games, flaws are exposed etc. We've all seen this story before.

I want to see Aussies in the NBA as much as the next guy, but I tend to think his chances are at NBA contract, at least in the short/medium term, are gone.

Not to suggest he couldn't attract some interest in the vein of Dwight/McKinnon at an older age, but as a draft prospect, he's done.

Scalabrine is a different case, because he's in the mould of professional bench player. A guy who is happy to play the 'NBA game'. That is, sit on the bench, be training fodder and play some minutes rarely. Sean Marks is another. A lot of players would rather be the big fish in a small pond.

Reply #187103 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

FWIW, Draft Express have him at 45 for 2009.

I agree with M Dizzle, if anything, he's unique. 6'8 and can handle the ball? Not exactly everywhere. And why compare him to Hodge? He was pick #20, then spent two years playing NBA ball before we got him. No comparison.

Reply #187108 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

In addition to the towel waving Scalabrine also provides road trip entertainment by busting rhymes about opposition players.

Reply #187112 | Report this post

Dogblow  
Years ago

Good move by Joe. I am not saying he will never make it to the NBA but at the moment he is not worthy of filling an NBA's bench warmers drink bottle.

Reply #187155 | Report this post

shanna thornell  
Years ago

To Jo Ingles
I would just like to say congratulations on your effort on getting into the austrailan team your a great player and you are the best on the court if you are allowed can u please send me back some imfomation about yourself so i can do a speach in my class on you thanx you are my ideal and i love watching you play thanx

Reply #201144 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754