Isaac
Years ago

Chad Ford upgrades Jawai to first round chance

Some promising talk from ESPN's Chad Ford about Australian big man Nathan Jawai after seeing Jawai work out at an NBA trial, even likening him to Elton Brand:

"He arrived from Australia on Sunday night and was going through his first workout in Vegas alongside Alabama's Richard Hendrix and fellow Aussie Aleks Maric," Ford wrote.

"What I saw was encouraging."

"Jawai has the size of a NBA player. He's a 6-foot-10 big man with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and weighs roughly 270 pounds. He is very strong and a good athlete for someone that size. Despite his size, he's pretty light on his feet and shows the footwork of a former soccer player."

"What surprised me were Jawai's skills facing the basket. He has a very soft touch and great range out to about 18 feet. He showed an excellent understanding of the game and went through the workout like a seasoned pro."

"Jawai has been criticized for his poor conditioning in Australia. He's already lost some weight training in Australia and expects to lose another 15 pounds over the next few weeks training with Abunasser. He also needs to hit the weight room. While he possesses natural strength, his body doesn't look like he's really ever lifted seriously."

"Look for him to be very popular in draft workouts. His game resembles Elton Brand's. Usually you can't say that about players in the second half of the first round. Only six NBA teams made the trip to Australia this year, so most scouts are working off video tape. Unfortunately he's skipping the Orlando pre-draft camp, where we could see him in 5-on-5 play. But it shouldn't damage his stock. As he gets in shape and gets into team workouts, his draft stock should take a leap. I think at the end of the day, someone takes him in first round."
Bit more at the NBL site

Topic #15900 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

It was an interesting read. They've pointed out that he could potentially be a Spur at the current placing (which would be the bane of all existence).

I'd want Jawai to play for N'Orleans or Orlando.

Reply #187215 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I'd love Jawai @ the Knicks. Get rid of Randolph and Curry to make the room for him.

Reply #187220 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

How exciting. I'd love to see the big guy in there.
An Aussie playing for the knicks???!!!!

"Despite his size, he's pretty light on his feet and shows the footwork of a former soccer player"

I remember they said the same thing about The Kandi Man, it got him 1st pick so GM's must love soccer...

Reply #187230 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Hakeem Olajuwon was a former soccer player also.

Reply #187239 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mark Viduka pretends to be a soccer player...

Reply #187242 | Report this post

hahaha  
Years ago

I just hope when drafted he falls over grabbing his leg.

Reply #187243 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

It doesn't suprise me. Big men are generally sought after on draft day, and the fact that Jawai has a nice game around the basket is a plus.

Conditioning wise I agree that he looks like he needs to bulk up a bit; with a bit more muscle he'd be a legitimate power forward in the NBA. I always thought he looked a little slow around the basket, but this could be mitigated if he could match up strength wise with any of the other forwards.

Reply #187264 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Unfortunately I have still not seen Jawai play for more than a few seconds on Sports Tonight, but if they correctly list him as 6'10 270 lbs he could easily play as a centre rather than a PF.

Not too many guys outmuscle the Celtics Kendrick Perkins at C and he is listed as 6'10 264 lbs.

If Jawai is roughly as athletic as Perkins there is no reason why he can't be a solid starting defensive centre for 10 years in the NBA.

Guys like that will often go in the 1st round even without any college. Perkins is a perfect example, drafted around 21st out of highschool.

If Jawai can actually jump quickly and go up strong, unlike Perk, he could be an offensive monster as well!

Things might be looking good for the big fella. It'd be awesome if we could claim TWO starting NBA centres in a couple of years!

Reply #187286 | Report this post

Years ago

"He also needs to hit the weight room. While he possesses natural strength, his body doesn't look like he's really ever lifted seriously."

Doesn't really say much about the weights and conditioning program at the AIS. Well neither does Joe Ingle's body really. Not criticising, just telling it how I see it.

Reply #187315 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Last time I looked, Shaq doesn't look like he's hit a weight bench in a decade.

Jawai is like Shaq: he's basically a brick.

Jawai would be a "decent" centre but I think if he was to get his inside shooting up a bit more, you could be looking at another KG. He's got the maneuverability to get around and drive the lane etc. but he gets easily pressured into stupid shots. If he was to wait another year or two; he wouldn't be green anymore and would probably stand a chance of being a high 1st round pick.

Reply #187327 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Height isnt the absolute killer that everyone thinks... standing reach is the killer in basketball... yeah the guy is listed at 6-10 but has a 7-4+(?) wingspan - that matters... anyone remember Oliver Miller (no, i an not comparing the two) - but he was 6-9 or 6-10, morbidly obese - but was still (when the spirit moved him) one of the best shot blockers in the nba... beacause of a ridiculous wingspan...

Reply #187335 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"Jawai would be a "decent" centre but I think if he was to get his inside shooting up a bit more, you could be looking at another KG. "

Now that is flat out patriotism.

Unless you mean Kevin Gamble? or Kenny Gattison?

Reply #187353 | Report this post

Years ago

I think a Nathan Jawai/Kendrick Perkins comparison sounds pretty apt, in relation to how Jawai may contribute at NBA level when he gets there

Reply #187466 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey Quagmire, if you saw Perkins in game 3 vs Detroit, you might start thinking Big Marty is right!

The big fella was so confident he pulled off a patented KG spin to the baseline and fadeaway on his way to a 6-7 shooting game!

If Perkins can do a KG impersonation, maybe Jawai can too!?!?!

Reply #187712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754