Isaac
Years ago

Wondered what an NBA chartered jet is like inside?

Was reading on TrueHoop about the Spurs getting grounded and having to sleep overnight in their chartered plane before taking off for LA (the plane wasn't allowed to take off, and hotels were booked out because of a conference).

The piece linked off to some pictures and video of the inside the jets that teams typically rent to transport the team. Nothing too over the top, but who wouldn't kill for that sort of leg room and tables for a bit of poker action?!

Video
Pictures (PDF)

Shame that the NBA's airline of choice, Champion Air, is going out of business shortly.

Topic #15901 | Report this topic

coopz  
Years ago

not as lavish as i was expecting, but better than economy on jetstar.

not sure how much a private jet costs, but how can a company that supplies planes for 30 teams to get to 80-100 games per year go out of business.

surprising they dont just buy their own planes.

Reply #187190 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'd expect it to be more like Tony Starks plane in Ironman.

Reply #187200 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

surprising they dont just buy their own planes.
IIRR, NBA teams used to fly first-class commercial until the Pistons did just that during the "Bad Boys" era, their team plane was nicknamed "Roundball One" and the convenience of having this plane available was thought to contribute significantly to their championship runs. Other teams began chartering planes rather than buying their own. AFAIK Detroit is still the only team that owns their own plane - even Cuban hasn't stumped up the cash for one.

Reply #187217 | Report this post

Dogblow  
Years ago

Saw a show on fox the other nite about Elton John. Back in the early 1980's he had a private jet (a real big one, dont know what type) that had a fire place in the master bedroom, a baby grand piano and full bar.

He did say that to this day he had never seen a fire place in a private jet since.

He also mentioned he was a member of the mile high club, blaaaahhhhh!

Reply #187238 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

He also mentioned he was a member of the mile high club
It was a solo flight.

Reply #187245 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He had a really 'hot' flight, but it might've just been the fireplace.

Reply #187249 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Define 'poker action' for me Isaac

I have two sorts of images in my mind at the moment!!!

One involves cards the other one doesn't.

Reply #187250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, it was a very normal suggestion until Dogblow had to bring Elton John's fireplace into things!

Reply #187254 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Now that's three images I have.....

Eltons' FirePlace......EEeeeeeeuuuuwww!

Reply #187257 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

BBBenny in the Jet .

Reply #187258 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What about the reference to Elton's "full bar" by dogblow....

Reply #187260 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

bahahah Kent

Reply #187267 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

..This turned into a thread about Elton John rather quickly.

Reply #187328 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Seem to recall watching a documentary about the Miami Heat and how they travelled on their own jet which It appeared they owned. The jet appeared to be failry large. All the players had their own allocated seat with plenty of leg room. The coaches had a separate area. All the players had their food requirements met and the staff knew what each player wanted. All in all it was pretty impressive.

Reply #187372 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

You would think they'd know after 41 away games each season.

Reply #187431 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754