Quagmire
Years ago

Draft realities...

Just read an article about DeAndre Jordan, a center entering this years draft who's stock is on the rise.

Turns out he is being asked by an un-named team to refuse any try-outs with teams that have picks higher than said team.

This indicates the team must be in the top 5 and fears losing out on him if he trials really well with teams placed hirer in the draft.

It is speculation that he has agreed (or his agent has) deciding that the teams promise of drafting him takes a great deal of pressure of him and his family.

What are peoples thoughts about this?
A team doesn't want to draft a guy they havn't seen, yet he could be another Dwight Howard and they pass because he refuses a trial?

Could a different sports agent try to stir publicity for a client by perhaps suggesting a deal had been brokered when it hadn't?

Makes you wonder just how sketchy the entire draft process is....

Topic #15923 | Report this topic

Phizzer  
Years ago

Like when unknown Scottie Pippen (but known to the Bulls) saw his stock rise and Seattle looked like picking him ahead of Chicago, Bulls gave him an all-expenses paid overseas holiday to make him look irresponsible and unattractive to other teams!

Reply #187498 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thats huge!

Thats the sort of stuff i'm amazed at.
If i'm an agent i'm trying to get my guy hyped, if i'm a team, i'm bad mouthin him 24/7 while talking up other players.

The air would be so thick with bullsh#t around draft time...awesome.

Reply #187501 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

It actually backfired because Pippin didn't bite on the offer, so it just showed how important he was to the Bulls. Bulls still thought they could get Pippin at 8th. But eve of draft, Bulls knew Sonics would pick Pippin at 5th spot, but Sonics they needed a big man, so they promised to trade Pippin to the Bulls if the Bulls selected Olden Polynice at 8th.

All went smooth and Bulls got a bargain and championships.....

But imagine your mind racing at the draft, what if you're been had? What is the other team didn't pick who they said they'd pick and screw you over!?

Reply #187507 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

It is speculation that he has agreed (or his agent has) deciding that the teams promise of drafting him takes a great deal of pressure of him and his family.
If so, the agent must be getting some sort of payment/quid pro quo from the team, since the higher the draft-pick the bigger the contract, and the Agent's cut grows proportionately.

Reply #187510 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Just don't lose Frank "Cush" Cushman the eve of the draft.....

Reply #187513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deandre Jordan has no chance at ever being Dwight Howard.

Reply #187529 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

They need to install a rule against draft tampering! Of course catching people would be near impossible.

Reply #187580 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

It's the polishing that players get before draft time that get them the draft placings.

If Jawai was buffed up as "The Next Big Thing"; had him do a few exhibition games with some local college players where he basically stomps them all; get him to do some mic work; he could easily get a top 5 spot in the NBA draft.

..while there is the possibility though that he could end up doing a Sam Bowie this way; its just an example of simple things that can be done to inflate the value of someone.

Reply #187799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754