Camel 31
Years ago

Ch 7: Dodman to the AFL?

Did anyone see ch.7 news tonight ? I only saw 2 seconds. I THINK it was about the next basketballer into the AFL . i THOUGHT i saw Jordy ? Not sure ???

Topic #15927 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

didn't see that but channel 10 sport new were talking about basketballers making good footballer. they said that the hand eye coordination of bball is often very good and they skills transfer very well to footy. they said to espect footy scouts at basketball tournaments. phil was one of the people being inbterview in this story.

Reply #187550 | Report this post

zoomzoom  
Years ago

I watched Channel 7 and it named Dodman as a player both the Crows and Power are pursuing as a result of Brogan and Tippett's transisiton from basketball to AFL.

Cahnnel 7 reported that he had met with the clubs (I think!) during the week.

Also had some footage of Dodman watching Power training in the stands.

Reply #187552 | Report this post

Wyatt Earp  
Years ago

Risky... needs to stick his neck out and choose soon.

Reply #187554 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Getting interesting isn't it. Basketball is getting a bit of publicity, recently, through Tippett.
Seems like Phil doing a bit of scouting.
The GOAT, I will miss. Julius liked him.

Reply #187555 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I had to laugh at Phil talking about junior tournaments, when was the last time he went to one, when he was a player?

Reply #187556 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I would have thought Dodman's body type would be too stocky for a footy player in this day and age?

Reply #187561 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Not sure ? Does he have to go into an AFL draft?

Reply #187562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before moving to Adelaide Dodman played some pretty handy football up in Port Augusta as a junior.

Reply #187571 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

I'd say Phyl just want to have his head anywhere near the news seeing as his table tenns player has disappeared off the earth.

Reply #187574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that he 'quit' basketball - more like he didnt get picked up by 6ers or anyone else.

Reply #187581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Townsville or Wollongong should pick him up. Otherwise, if he can get a good gig playing AFL, go for it Goat!

Reply #187586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he played in the under 18 state footy comp didnt he. and then left half way through the week to play for sa country. thats what i thought the case was

Reply #187593 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

yeah he did leave half way through, i think we all know it's time he went for AFL and made some real money

Reply #187594 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Surely he would have to put himself out in the Sanfl for a year before he will even get a look in at AFL. I have heard he did quite well in Country footy, but would still take a year or two to get up to a decent skill level.

Reply #187598 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Put it this way. When he played in the Classics a few yrs back AFL scouts from at least 2 clubs came out to his games.

Reply #187599 | Report this post

beatz79  
Years ago

Phil has been at junior tournaments, saw him at both the juniour tournaments for under 20's ans 16's both held in Adelaide...

Reply #187603 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

2 in 10 years isn't bad.......

Reply #187605 | Report this post

Leo Pard.  
Years ago

Brogan made it to the AFL because he was an athlete.

From what I saw last night at Pasadena, Dodman has a long way to go before he would be drafted.

Reply #187621 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

I can't believe that regulars on this site are still bagging Phil... get a life!
He should be respected for the great contribution he's made to the sport as both a player & a coach.

Reply #187626 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have said it before and will sayit again. If Jordy is lost to the lure of the $ and AFL basketball will be the loser.

I have seen Bradtke, Wheeler and Rogers all develope from teenagers. Jordy at the same age is far more developed than what theey where.

He has a nice shot (i read he went 9/10 last weekend and some shots where from range) and has great footwork and hands for a big (usually the hardest part for a big to get right)

Either way i am sure he will make a career in the sports field.

Reply #187730 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

don't see how it would be a big lose to basketball to be honest, we aint talking about wilt chamberlain here, is a good junior but has fallen off the radar, he was big news a few years ago, now there is no publicity around him, so i fail to see how it is a lose to basketball as a whole, maybe to sturt and maybe even the 6ers, but he has to go where he can make money and sustain a good living, what if he never makes it in ball? then he gona b stuck out on his ass, think he should take the money for the long run if there is a good offer there for him

Reply #187732 | Report this post

Years ago

Bradtke, Wheeler and Rogers were/are all taller and bigger (in size I mean) than Dodman is weren't they?

Reply #187740 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think it nine news, this Friday, said he'd decided not to go into this seasons AFL draft. Will play SANFL at North Adelaide. They showed him doing some rucking and marking. Looks pretty good.

Reply #207204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754