brisvegas
Years ago

BRISBANE DEAD IN THE WATER

The strong word is the "white knight" Brisbane found has pulled out of buying the Bullets! Lets hope it isnt true as it will be the end of the club.

Topic #15955 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Sydney is reportedly on the brink as well

Reply #187748 | Report this post

Casual Observer  
Years ago

From another thread on the Kings -

It means that we have teams in the NBL like Singapore & NZ that mean absolutley nothing to the loyal NBL fans of the last 10-20 years while we have Aussie clubs going under every couple of years.

How the can this competition be taken seriously by any potential backer while we have teams that are "johnny come latleys" and have little or no support in Oz pulling crowds full of free tickets whlie the NBL sits on its hands and does nothing for the kind of clubs that have helped make this comp a little more exiting.

Sure the Kings are the team everyone loves to hate, but who are we going to "love to hate" when they fold, the slingers?

NZ & Slingers = no passion for oz crowds

No passion = no paying bums on seats.

No paying bums on seats = no NBL.

Remember the past sell out games at the Powerhouse because I cant see the slingers or the breakers ever selling out the Dome.

Reply #187755 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Seems to have come credibility..

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,20797,23765130-952,00.html

Reply #187765 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

some*

Anyhow, very sad to see. I really hope someone comes up with the money to keep the Bullets running for another season.

Reply #187766 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

We'll hate the Dragons now of course!

Reply #187771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BK just called a press conference for 11am and said: I'm sorry but this will probably be the shortest press conference in the world.
He obviously got legal advice in that time and is under a gag order- I smell legal action for Kemp and the politicians who yanked our chains.
Apparently we have 4 days to get a buyer and a major sponsor as well.
*groan*

Reply #187785 | Report this post

HotRod  
Years ago

The big issue of course is that bball is a third tier sport in Aust and we can't afford to keep paying fulltime professional athletes and the coaches plus ancillary staff. Anyone thought about superannuation, long service leave(=pay)for coaches in some cases, medical and insurance cover....et cetera?

I think there needs to be serious thought to restricting the financial burden to owners, by one or more strategies, eg only one import, salary cap much lower, promote the bball career as a parttime activity with most or all players doing other (genuine) work, perhaps getting sponsorship from a 1st tier sport,perhaps limiting each club to 5 full professional players and 5 part-pro, and a developmnt squad of 5 on petrol money (whooo, that could get expensive too!)

any other suggestions?

Otherwise it will be a gradual slide, I think, into the sunset for a national comp.

Reply #187794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still feel they will pull out of this hole. I remember that there were supposed to be a number of interested parties who were interested in buying the club. Surely, one of them should step up now.

Reply #187809 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBL website is updated (amazingly):

http://linky.com.au/amefo

Reply #187812 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

"salary cap much lower, promote the bball career as a parttime activity with most or all players doing other (genuine) work," like in the WNBL???

Reply #187815 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dana, reducing the salary cap could be a natural progression if these 2 teams go. The reason being is because there will now be 2 teams of umemployed players, the better ones will get picked up but because of the lack of opportunity (number of teams to compete for), they will be forced to take a lower salary. I doubt there would be overseas opportunities to fall back on for them because if there was, they would have already exercised that opportunity.

Reply #187838 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

Oh yeah, everybody, that makes sense!! less money, that will solve the problem...that's how it stays so successful overseas and in the US,..LESS MONEY----NOT!!! Come on guys...use your heads, it's a business and needs to be run like one. They need to get free to air TV back for starters and then inject some serious cash to raise the fan base and get some top players. People won't come to see lame second rate players who could get paid more if they worked as accountants...that's not what professional sport is about, Good players won't play in the league if they can get paid more overseas, or even get paid the same to work a 9-5 job in the coorporate world, go figure!!

Reply #187850 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

And if they don't have the cash ?

Reply #187859 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

If there's no cash, there's no league. You simply cannot get backers for a second rate, half baked league, companies won't sponsor a game that has no public profile and "glamour". The reason they sponsor NBL teams is to gain advertising mileage and increase their product awareness, they don't do it out of a love for the game, they do it to associate their product with a certain image or market (I teach this stuff at TAFE). It's not rocket science, LESS MONEY - LESS PROFILE. And anyway, seriously, these players are people with lives, families, investments etc, they won't play for peanuts, they'll go overseas or seek emlpoyment in the coorporate world, they're not pawns in some big game that you can just move around wherever you please. Would you put up with injury, long term joint damage, constant travelling & seperation from your loved ones etc etc, for a meager wage?? I sure wouldn't, and I can guarrantee that their wives & girlfriends wouldn't put up with that either, and your kidding yourself if you think they don't play abis part in the decision making.

Reply #187936 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754