Cat 15
Years ago

The new Superleague

Ok so I'm sick of watching my sport humiliated by incompetence and mismanagement.
So, here is my idea. A new competition, called Superleague is introduced.
The Superleague consists of two conferences Northern and Southern.
The Northern Conference consists of:
China 2 teams
Japan 2 teams
Korea 1 team
Hong Kong 1 team
Malaysia 1 team
Philipines 1 team
Singapore 1 team
Indonesia 1 team

This gives a 10 team Northern Conference.

Southern Conference consists of:
Adelaide
Perth
Brisbane
Melbourne
Sydney
North Queensland
Gold Coast
New Zealand (Auckland and Christchurch)
Darwin

This gives a 10 team Southern Conference.

Each team plays the other teams in your conference twice (1 home 1 away). You play the members of the other conference once. Half of these are away and half at home.

i.e. Adelaide would play:
All Southern Conference teams once at home and once away.
1 China Team, 1 Japan team, Korean team, Malaysian team, and Singapore team away, whilst also playing other China team, other Japan team, Hong Kong, Philipines team and Indonesian team at home. Next season you swap which teams you play at home and which away.

This gives each team a 28 game season. 14 home games and 14 away.
Top 4 from each conference then plays off in semi finals (best of 3) then Conference finals (best of 5). Superleague winner determined by Northern V Southern Conference winners (best of 5).

If you couldn't get unbelievable money for TV rights, sponsorship etc... from this then I give up! Imagine the multinationals lining up to be naming rights sponsors (i.e. Visa, Mastercard, McDonald's, Nike, Reebok, etc...)

Even locally, I'm sure there would be a free to air TV station willing to put this on (esp. your local teams away games).

All we need is someone with money, business sense and international experience/clout to get the ball rolling. Anyone know someone who fits the bill??
If only Kerry Packer was still alive, this could have seriously gotten off the ground.

Topic #15973 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I like the Idea. Not sure how all the Northern Cnference countries would feel though about having only 1 or 2 teams when nearly all of them have a much larger population than Australia.

Reply #187967 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

I agree with you skip, but they might need to also look at the FIBA rankings. Most of them are very low. We are looking for the 'best' competition. It would be a great thing for their country to participate in and help develop their players.
China might be a hard sell as they are eyeing the NBA, but we could sell it as a good lead up to that entry (if it ever happens) and then they could use the Superleague to develop their players for the NBA.

Reply #187969 | Report this post

Carpenter  
Years ago

Great. I agree totally. Who is paying the $$$$ for all the flights. Our sport needs a rich sugardaddy with bottomless pockets, like Lowy.

Reply #187980 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

now wouldnt this be a huge step for australian basketball. full support, just wish it was possible. need someone with big cash pockets.

Reply #187981 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Flight lengths are an issue, although I guess only playing the other conference teams once helps reduce it. It could be done in a similar way to the NBA where teams will play 3 or 4 games in succession on the opposite coast.

Reply #187982 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Why not Townsville,Cairns Dragons & Wollongong????

You just lost half of the current support base PFF

Reply #187986 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Has basketball even been introduced to Darwin yet? :P

On a serious note that does sound like a good idea getting something like that going!

Reply #187987 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Here's Boti's take on a future league structure:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23776051-5006371,00.html

Reply #187988 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

We need Richard Branson to get on board...solves all the flight cost issues!

Reply #187991 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

KC-gone Some teams need to go. The Darwin team I'm not convinced about, but Boti seems to think it is a good idea.
The Dragons I would suggest no to as one team in a city makes more sense in a competition like this.
Wollongong?? Are you serious they barely even survive now!!
Townsville and Cairns I would have to consider strongly, but one team from this region and one from the Gold Coast seems to make more sense.
Flights wise, I'm sure there would be a carrier keen to jump on board to advertise the fact they fly to all of these destinations! Costs would be covered partly by this and partly by the additional TV rights (which would have to be huge).

Boti idea seems too similar to what we have now. Where's the vision?? :)
I'm also not convinced we need someone with mega-bucks. I want to get away from relying on one person with deep pockets. We will need someone with the coin to pay for the lead up to the competition, but after that it should be self-sufficient. Imagine the TV rights in these Asian countries!!!

Reply #187992 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Panther...now there is a bloke with vision and a perfect person to get it up and running. Anyone have his mobile number? I'll give him a call and tell him about this wonderful opportunity!
James W you are spot on about Southern teams playing a Northern Conference swing of two or three games in a row and vice-versa.

Reply #187994 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

His number is 0464 534 444 or as most people know it... 04 MILE HIGH!!!

Reply #187996 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Gold Panther! Gold...

Reply #187997 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Just reading the Boti article - I wrote something similar on here last year

http://linky.com.au/1fi2t

The A-League has to be the model used ... they have reinvented themselves and have proved that it was not the sport of football/soccer that people hated it was the league and the quality of football/soccer being played (amongst other things).

I like the idea of getting someone in that has succeeded at top level management of sports in Australia (like A-League did with John O'Neill).

And before we get to the "Tigers people won't support the Dragons and Pigs people won't support the Kings". Rubbish ... Melbourne Knights people and South melbourne people now support Melbourne Victory (and they had a bigger hatred for each other due to an ethnic rivalry). People will support the team that is their team cos they like the sport and their city.

I think we need to go back to 8 - 10 teams and 4 make the finals.

I have been saying this for ages ... less teams, better players, better product = more fans. You would go not just to watch your team but to watch other good players from other teams.

The teams

Adelaide
Perth
Melbourne
Sydney
Central NSW (can play out of Newcatsle or Wollongong or both)
Brisbane
North QLD (can play out of Cairns or Townsville or both)
NZ (if we have to)
and 2 others - Darwin, Gold Coast, Tassie

Reply #187998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adding and subtracting teams and giving the league a fancy new name is great and all, but doesn't actually address any of the leagues problems. At all.

Reply #187999 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Anon. which problems would not have been addressed by the Superleague concept?
TV? Yes.
Sponsorship? Yes.
Media interest? Yes.
Supporter interest? Yes.
Quality of basketball? Yes. Extra money and greater level of competition means better quality of player stays.i.e. no need to go to Europe!

Reply #188006 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

While i like the idea its simply not possible. If the nbl allows asian players to be deemed as non imports then Australia would have to qualify for the olympics via asia group instead of oceania.

The reason its ok for NZ as they are part of the OCEANIA group.

Reply #188013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does changing the name and rearranging a few teams guarantee more sponsorship, TV deals, media interest and more support?

Reply #188015 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Anon. You might want to actually read the initial proposal. This is not a new name rearrange the teams concept.

Reply #188020 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anyone can create the league. The collective wit of this site to conjour a league of awesome proportions however billionaire forum surfers are far and few between.

Having a superleague that focuses on capital city teams only is a smart start. Branching to make local rivalries would have to be established after a good 5-8 years of the new league running.

The idea of an international league does sound nice; but you're potentially looking at a system that is bigger than the NBA and rivals the coverage of the Euroleague. A league of that design would require a good 2-5 years of planning to consider getting off the ground.

Reply #188027 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Big Marty I agree 100% with you. Still it's a nice dream isn't it??!! The idea is to create something that does rival the Euroleague.
Who knows someday down the track we could have the Champions league with the top 2 teams from Southern and Northern conferences playing against the top coupple of teams from the Euroleague. The NBA still stand apart as the top competition.

Personally I think this is something FIBA, the NBA and Euroleague should all encourage!! It will boost the profile of basketball (a truely international sport) around the world.

Reply #188036 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Richard Branson would be good. The only problem is that he normally ivests in ventures that actually MAKE money.

Reply #188042 | Report this post

Betty Leadfoot  
Years ago

At the moment it seems like FTA is not that interested in Basket ball. I did like Boti's idea of screening games on the internet. I know that I would reather watch interstate games streaming live or with some minimal time delay than live scores any day.

It may impact on home games with people prefering to stay at home and watch than go to the game. Port Power seem to have this problem already at AMMI.

I feel that this idea should be explored further.

Sponshorship models already exist on the internet. Could have several members of the crowd operate hand held cameras and mix the feed prior to sending it out.

Just some ideas.

Reply #188052 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Get the NBA right on board and create the Asian NBA and scrap the D-League.

Reply #188053 | Report this post

Betty Leadfoot  
Years ago

rather not reather TYPO

Reply #188054 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

There has been some softly worded talk that the NBA may get involved with our league for awhile now . Possibly more interest now with Bogut as a no 1 pick with Jawai , Mills , Newley , Ingles , Ogilvy and Maric on the bubble .
Be a nice tax write off to create the BAA league , and yes , NZ would have to be part of it .

The only problem may be the D league investment , maybe we could have an affiliation with them , player integration , etc , etc . Some possiblities i believe .

Reply #188055 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Isaac, where are you? Opinion?? Can I have abll please?? :)

Reply #188056 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

abll means a ball...obviously :)

Reply #188060 | Report this post

Thoc  
Years ago

TV? Yes.
Sponsorship? Yes.
Media interest? Yes.
Supporter interest? Yes.
==============

Weren't these all going to be solved with the move to summer, kings winning the championship, introduction of NZ, introduction of an Asian team.

Reply #188079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, exactly. The NBL thus far has shown no ability to actually act on opportunity. That's the problem. Deadweight teams have been axed before. Season timing has been moved before. Playoffs have been tinkered with before. FTA was the right path, wait, no, cable is, wait, no, FTA is, wait, no, localised FTA is. Asia will save us! Wait, no it won't.

They need to look at the true core problems with the product and the way it is sold. Sorry - Boti's suggestions are all good. There's nothing wrong with them, but they're the icing. Getting the structure right is obviously at the core, sure, but the NBL's long history of not being able to sell a root in a brothel has to be addressed, and has to be addressed under the assumption that the media will continue to ignore them, and that capital city teams will simply not have the funds and resources available for effectively marketing/advertising by traditional means.

Reply #188081 | Report this post

Thoc  
Years ago

i recall hearing the money from hummer sponsorship was predominantly going to be used on promotion. probably went towards the awesome nbl.com.au

Reply #188085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans need to start making a few calls here. The NBL and clubs clearly are too incompetent to do it.

New League IS needed, international is very tough to ask.

NBL should work with the clubs, basketball Australia, and fans to seriously get basketball back on it's feet.

Ten teams, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville and NZ included.

Local tv coverage for each team (Nine in Adelaide, Seven in Perth, Townsville, Maori or Sky in NZ etc.)

Finals best of 3, Top 5.

Reply #188102 | Report this post

Years ago

I really think the Australian leagues just need to stick to Australian teams. I have nothing against NZ or Singapore, but I don't see why they were in the NBL, when we have Australian-based teams that have in one form or another been around forever (such as Woolongong) struggling to keep going. NZ has its own league. Singapore probably does too. If the players want to come and try to make it on a squad here, that's fine. Just keep the Australian leagues, be it NBL, NRL or even AFL (who want to eventually try to expand beyond Oz) for Australian teams.

Reply #188109 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

The NRL is an international league the New Zealand Warriors are not from bondi, even thought there are more kiwi's than aussies living there. I feel that a combination of this post and Boti's competiton outlined in the Advertiser today would be good, however the vital part of any new league has to be the administration...

The A-League is a prefect example, i'm sure Mr Lowy has put some of his own coin in to get it off the ground, but it is very well run they got what the game needed. They promised world class soccer and delivered a product which is just that. Any new basketball competition in this part of the world needs to deliver a high quality product that you can compare to international competitions. Adelaide Uninted's preformance in the ACL has proved that the local comp is as good here as it is in any part of asia.

Reply #188115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the goal of nbl IS trying to become the top level "australiasian" league; so it ain't that they're not thinking about it they just don't have enough money it's as simple as that; they're management group think they're trying hard but really not hard enough!

Reply #188128 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Unfortunately this league would have need to have been a concept in the late 70's and have had at least 25 years to develop (AKA this should have been the idea in the first place).

Advertising and Media showings are the only reason Basketball is limping. No one is interested because there's nothing that can be used to jumpstart a campaign like this.

The league needs to be redeveloped at the end of next season with a year long break for a 2011 release date.

They should borrow the old "I'd like to see that" ad campaign that AFL used to jump to the top back in the early 90's. Best way to do that would be to make the final season of this league more of a show-off showcase. Play more NBA style of lighter 1st half defence and more dunks/oops. Get a good season of highlight material and use that as an ad campaign for the next gen league. With ACTUAL players promoting the league and why the fuck they're actually wanting to play here in the first place.

Reply #188269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754