Kurtsmells
Years ago

NBA Draft 08: Draft for needs or fan support?

From my last post (B-easy or D-Rose) i saw that most of you guys like me are fairly 50-50 on the B-Easy Derrick "Dimes" Rose for the number one pick.
Clearly Beasley has been the superior player and fills the need of a decent big man on the Bulls roster but they will most likely take Rose based on the fact that he is a local.
I think that Drew Gooden is more expendable than Kirk Hindrich.
So what is worth more fan support just because you drafted a local or takin the player that will make your team better in the long run?
Wouldnt success bring fan support?
What do you guys rekon?

Topic #16001 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Chicago averaged 21,987 attendane wise which in 2nd highest so it's not like they're desperate for more support. So I would have thought that they'll draft whoevers going to be better for their team regardless of where they are from.

Reply #188375 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah i think they draft the player they think will help them the most, in the end success brings fans in.

Reply #188378 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The main reason you'd want Beasley is because the bulls have Heinrich. While Kirk isn't exactly the standout he was in his first few seasons; he still does the job they need him to do.

For all we know there could be a trade on draft day for either. Could end up seeing Beasley in a Lakers or Spurs uniform. Crazy shit like this happens you know.

Reply #188408 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Out of all the pro's and con's of both of these players, hometown is probably a 0.001% factor in the selection. Or at least it should be.

Nick makes it clear, they are selling tickets already. It would be different if Chicago were a new franchise trying to create patriotism. Like Charlotte a couple of years back drafting Felton and May...

Could you see teams trading to get a hometown player from a rival? Doesn't happen.

Chicago takes the player they feel is the best in the draft.

I'd hate the job because one day i'm all over Rose, then i worry about his shooting and i'm back on B-easy.

Then i worry how his game translates to the pros- is he a 3 or a 4, is he a new age 4? what about his attitude? and just like that i'm on Rose again.

Though he does have that shaky jumper....

Reply #188409 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754