curtley
Years ago

Darius Rice officially joins Slingers

Darren Ng of Malaysian heritage joined Slingers to create interest in Asian players, followed by Filipino Jason Castro AND NOW they sign a guy with the surname of Rice. Is it just me or are the Slingers being slightly patronising to their fans now?

Topic #16004 | Report this topic

pitstop  
Years ago

What a stupid thing to say.............

Reply #188386 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Curtley , think u may have hit the r button instead of the n when spelling your name .

Reply #188388 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Darren Ng was signed because he's a bloody good ball player, not to "create interest in Asian players".

That is highly disrespectful to suggest he was only contracted due to the colour of his skin.

Is it just me, or is curtley being slightly ignorant and racist?

Reply #188389 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Confirmed on NBL.com.au

Will be a Slinger if he doesnt score a gig with the Spurs.

http://linky.com.au/a3gkz

Reply #188392 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't think Curtley is being racist or ignorant at all to be honest. The Slingers said that they wanted to draw interest from the asian fans by getting some good asian players, which realistically they haven't had. Darren would have got a contract with just about any team there's no questioning that, but Singapore would have definitely done whatever they could to secure his services. It's the same when looking at New Zealand, they tried to get as many New Zealanders to play for there team as possible as it brings extra support. Are we being ignorant and biased because we have recruited hard for only South Aussies???

Reply #188394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm an asian and I quiet agree with Curtley on the Darren factor...As much as a quality player he is, by signing with the Slingers will definitely help them attract their asian fan base without a doubt. Why would asians care about a game that they're not involved in otherwise?

Same thing with the NBA, which became so much bigger in asian culture with the introduction of Yao Ming.

Reply #188395 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Singaporeans love watching EPL. Not a single Singaporean playing in the EPL. Singaporeans watch the NBA. Again, no Singaporeans in that either. Many Singaporean youths are drawn to sport played in foreign lands, for that very reason, it's foreign.

I'm sure Darren will become a poster child for them, but because he's a bloody good player, good looking bloke (my Singaporean wife said he's cute) and best of all, studied Medicine. I didn't like the implication from curtley that he was signed just because he's Asian.

Maybe some truth in Ng and Castro, but the signing of Rice, not funny at all.

If Kings signed a guy called "Broke", that would be funny.

Reply #188431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think he was talking about asian as a community following the NBA (eg. Taiwan, Hong Kong etc.)...But definitely yeh...They might just sign him as a one man team and that'd explain there situation even better lol

Reply #188436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Singapore went for Ng because he is asian and the fans would come to watch 'local' people. Ng could get a spot on just about any other roster anyway, however to say that they signed Rice because of his last name is stupid. They signed him because he could be a damn good player, with *NBA* experience. Singapore have a very good squad so far.

Reply #188462 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

where has everyone's sense of humour gone!!!

Call me racist but I thought is was funny... Reminds me of the TV ad I saw when Asians were poking fun at Westerners with toothpicks in the their eye sockets making their eye look bigger!

Reply #188468 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Am I the only one the realise that curtley was making a joke? I thought it was pretty obvious, the lead line was about signing Ng and Castro, but that was only there to facilitate the punchline about signing Rice.

Actually thought it was pretty good myself.

Reply #188469 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thank god Gary Sweet doesn't play 'ball. Oh god the uproar...

Reply #188473 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

How is referring to the signing of a guy with the surname the same as a staple food of a particular place racist - seriously that is so ridiculous, it was an honest joke, if adelaide signed some guy with the surname ´´pie floater´´ id say the same thing. I agree castro an ng are good players and they werent signed purely based on their race for goodness sakes, get a life if you think this type of thing is racist and spend more time fighting real racism if its that important to you.

Reply #188512 | Report this post

Rice is a very good scorer and a clutch shooter just like Jason Castro. The big 3 might be "Ng, Castro and Rice.

Reply #188599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754