DB5
Years ago

NH : Stuart MacGill retires!

Australian pie thrower and 200 test wicket taker Stuart MacGill will retire at the conclusion of the second test between the West Indies and Australia in Antigua.

MacGill has really struggled with poor form and injury since finally becoming Australia's frontline spinner, and has decided to quit.

Personally, I think he should have announced this before he went on this tour and allowed Australia to try and blood a new spinner. I will not miss his attitude, and poor work ethic, but congratulations on the career.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wivaus/content/current/story/353237.html

What are other opinions here people?

Topic #16006 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see who they get to fill the void. Last time I took notice (which was a loooong time ago) was that the pool of top grade leg/offspin bowlers was diluted here in AUS.

Reply #188410 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well Beau Casson is already in the touring party, and Cricket Australia have said they will not send anyone else over. This would make me think he is in line for a promotion for the next test to give him a bit of exposure. Clarke is bowling his left arm offies well, but would not be a full time option, and Symonds bowls shit.

CA need to really bite the bullet here and promote Bailey from SA, or McGain from NSW who was the form bowler of the summer, but he is 35. Either that, or really entertain the option of Warne coming out of retirement, and put that plan into place.

Reply #188415 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Meh...

Reply #188417 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I never liked Stuey, so I'm glad he's moving on. Now he can piss up on wine as much as he wants.

Reply #188422 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I never liked Stuey, so I'm glad he's moving on. Now he can piss up on wine as much as he wants.
Has never stopped him before

Reply #188427 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

In fact the rumour is, he turned up yesterday for the 2nd day's play late and hung over after a night out with friends. May have hastened the decision for him....

Reply #188428 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

DB5

I read that story too.

Reply #188434 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Few years ago one night i remember seeing him sitting in the corner of the botanic before the first days play and he would have consumed a bottle of vino and about 10 G and T's or Vodka Sodas . Thought kudos to you stu pie , then low and behold the next night he was in the same spot , same drinks , different shirt and different broads . Morale of story is youngsters if u want a game that allows a nightlife and booty time just play cricket .

Reply #188435 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

.. or darts

Reply #188438 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Suggest you check out the darts of late before you make a comparison - things have changed very much for the better.

Reply #188440 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Easy option bring back Warney... I wouldnt think that there realy is a decent long term option at the moment... Bailey will be lucky to bowl for SA next year and as stated before Mc Gain is 35... The spin bowling stocks for Australia have been damaged by the fact that ALL the young spinners knew that MacGill was the walk up replacment for Warne. Should never have happened this way he bowls far too many loose deliveries.

Reply #188454 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

stuey had one hell of a poor att and work ethic

but history will state fasted to 50,100,150 and 200 test wickets, well done on that

personally should have annoucned it before start of the tour

Reply #188497 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754