Scored Out
Years ago

Scorers and entrance fee

I have been fortunate enough over the last 7 years to avoid doing duty on the scorers bench, namely due to my sons mother carrying the family responsibility.

In a moment of weakness, I volunteered to do the Shot clock on Friday night.

As a scorer, you have to cncentrate all the time, and you do not get to see as much of the game as you would like. I enjoy watching what happens off the ball as much as what happens on the ball. Many times a point is won or lost, and the person responsible for that point may not have toched the ball at all.

But when you are a scorer, you must be watching what happens around the ball at all time.

From that I ask the question why must one pay entrance fee to get in and then have to perform a very unenjoyable task of scoring.
Yes scoring must be done, otherwise the game would not progress, but to pay to score, that is asking too much.

I have a gripe about paying to watch. I would rather see the kids match fees go up to $10/$12per game, and all spectators get in for free.

Then it is up to the clubs to provide services to keep the spectators happy and to swell their coffers.
The net result would be that you will have more spectators at the games and that will generate more money for clubs, via catering. people will pay good money for a "Good cup of coffee" [that is another thread]

I have renewed respect for all the parents who do their scoring duties.

Keep up the good work scorers

Topic #16007 | Report this topic

the_champ33  
Years ago

Ummmm! I thought Scorer's don't get charged admission fee and if you are asked by your team do it once entered, you're allowed a refund.

This worked for me 1-2 yrs ago when I played down there and my girlfriend came to watch. The ticket seller said see him for a refund if she was the scorer.

Reply #188421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's for seniors only champ33.

Reply #188425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple. Introduce a scorers card that gets rotated through the team if you are scoring on the night. Show it at the door and theydo not have to pay if they are scoring.

Reply #188426 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

That is a bit rough that scorers have to pay. However, I don't think it would be hard to do the shot clock and still watch the game. I personally think its easier to do the score card instead

Reply #188432 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Pay the couple of bucks entry fee for the good of the clubs, the association and the stadium. Thre's precious little enough funds in our sport as it is.

I score every week (doing the sheet, not slacking off doing the clock) for my son's team and would NEVER, even if legitimately able, EVER consider asking for free entry.

Tightarses!

Reply #188433 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Dicko i think you will find that BASA are the tight arses thank you, not the parents. The complaint is legitimate.

Reply #188439 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

you can generally just walk right in anyways without being asked to pay... i know i do it all the time

Reply #188443 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Dicko i think you will find that BASA are the tight arses thank you, not the parents. The complaint is legitimate."

Really? How much is it to enter and see your kids play?

Reply #188445 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

My beef is actually more with the oevrall attitude of the original poster.........

[blockquote]I have been fortunate enough over the last 7 years to avoid doing duty on the scorers bench.......[/blockquote]

Really? How incredibly supportive of you as a parent.

[blockquote]In a moment of weakness, I volunteered to do the Shot clock on Friday night.[/blockquote]

OMG.....are you OK? With weakness of that gravity, you should see a doctor.

[blockquote]"As a scorer, you have to cncentrate all the time, and you do not get to see as much of the game as you would like. I enjoy watching what happens off the ball as much as what happens on the ball.[/blockquote]

So ONE game in 7 years, you missed every moment of the game.....Damned incosiderate of all the other people that have been doing it for your childs team

[blockquote]I have a gripe about paying to watch. I would rather see the kids match fees go up to $10/$12per game, and all spectators get in for free.[/blockquote]

Some people have their kids play sport on a shoestring budget. One parent taking a player is cheaper than what you are suggesting. We have a kid in my sons team whose parents alternate just to save a couple of bucks. There are poeple in DIFFERENT situations than you, you know.

[blockquote]I have renewed respect for all the parents who do their scoring duties.

Keep up the good work scorers[/blockquote]

Appreciate it but SERIOUSLY, it's not that big a deal. Certainly not if you've only managed to be "Weak" enough to do it ONCE in 7 years.

I apologise if I have taken this out of context, but that's the way I read/see it.

Reply #188446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do spectators pay when watching juniors in other sports (e.g., football, soccer, etc)?

Reply #188450 | Report this post

Giraffe 45  
Years ago

wow dicko your an inspiration to all of us

Reply #188452 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

I'm not aware of any other sport that charges for spectators. My son plays footy in addition to basketball and for footy we pay $5 which covers the umpires' costs, insurance and a contribution to an intra-club function. Also, if you go to an interstate carnival in Melbourne you'll have to pay a one-off fee ($10 pp if I recall correctly) to see the kids games. From a parent's perspective basketball is relatively expensive and you can multiply that based on the number of kids you have.

Reply #188455 | Report this post

Scored Out  
Years ago

Dicko, looking at all your threads and replies, you must live a very exciting life. Good for you using your name, and not using an anon.

I do not want to make this personal, but yes I am not as supportive of my sons basketball as some, but I do think it a great shame that some people take turns to see their kids play because of the cost.

That just shows that their is something drastically wrong with our sport.

Look at the price of petrol and look at Southern Tigers playing at Gawler or Mavericks playing at Port Adelaide. The junior game is going to be under more threat as things get tighter financially.

And by the way the cost to get inas a spectator is $4.50 and not a couple of dollars.
You obviously have not paid to get into a game for a long time.

Reply #188456 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

For football though, we man the BBQ, kiosk, provide goal and boudary umpires. We sell raffle tickets and cleanup the ground.

These are generally services that are provided at a basketball stadium.

And, Giraffe 45? I don't know what that is meant to mean.

My point is that (although probably roughly pointed out) is that different people want things different ways and you can't please everyone. The initial post just seems a little "whingebag" to me.

Anyways....nobody answered....how much is it for a spectator at a BASA stadium anyway?

Reply #188457 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

[BLOCKQUOTE]Do spectators pay when watching juniors in other sports (e.g., football, soccer, etc)?[/BLOCKQUOTE]Yes and no. When my son played soccer, we paid a weekly "referee fee", because it was the home team's responsibility to supply a ref and pay them (and not in that way!). If my son had kept playing, we'd have to supply a linesman, sorry "referee's assistant", as well in older age groups, but that was usually a volunteer from the parents from what I've heard. The home team also had to provide a steward to keep the spectators a safe distance from the touchline. So rather than having to pay entrance fees to pay for BSA supplied refs, and volunteering on the scorebench, soccer parents pay "ref fees" for thie own refs and take turns volunteering as ref's assistant or steward. Not exactly the same thing, but there is a similarity, I think.

Reply #188458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$12 or something close isn't it?

Reply #188464 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

$12 for a spectator?

Reply #188466 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Scored Out, I think you should take a long hard look at yourself, and the old BASA mission statement which says something like "kids play sport for THEIR enjoyment not yours".
Sure, basketball isn't perfect, neither are the administrators or the refs or the stadia or the other parents, some of whom score EVERY week without complaining, not just once in 7 years with complaining!!!!!!! This sport survives on volunteers(same as all others), and on the issue of cost, remember that the roof needs maintenance and the light bill has to be paid.
DICKO as usual, job well done.

Reply #188484 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

He has already stated $4.50.

When I used to go watch an old girlfriend play district netball out at ETSA Park on a Saturday morning, I would get charged to watch.

Reply #188486 | Report this post

Catseyes  
Years ago

I think Netball charges about the same at ETSA park as Junior District B/ball games to watch. My nephew is an athlete and runs at Santos Stadium on occassions, and there is always a fee to get in there as well. Something like $8-10.00 for a spectator, and kids are about $6.00 bucks, so they dont even get in for free. So for a family of 5 where my eldest is considered an adult it get too expensive to watch him at Santos, although there is a family ticket for about $25-$30.00. And it doesn't matter if you get there at 4.30pm and it finishes at 5.00pm it is still the same charge even if you had been there from 8.00am.....SUX actually.....so we go rarely if it is at Santos.

Reply #188489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your wrong catseye, netball is considerably cheaper and Dicko besides being pompous you miss the point. Basketball is overpriced fullstop. It's not without logic for scorers at games to expect free entry because they sure as hell are not spectators.

Reply #188501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sure basketball may seem expensive but $4.50 to watch your kid play isnt much, if you dont want to pay it, coach a team, get a coaches pass and get in for free!!! I'm sure all clubs are in desparate need of more coaches!

in a team of 9 players you probably score 2 times a season, i dont think that its really worth complaining especially if you have not scored for 7 years!

I have coached for many years now and whilst parents may not be happy to score i have never had anyone complain about it.

you have to remember that in the other sports where you dont pay for spectators the cost is probably in playing fees somewhere!

remember its all for the kids enjoyment not yours, if you enjoy watching basketball stay for the next game!!!!

Reply #188505 | Report this post

Catseyes  
Years ago

Well if I am wrong then my friend then has given me the incorrect information - her daughter plays for one of the well known "netball teams" in Adelaide and she has said that she pays $5.00 each for her family as a spectator fees for ETSA park and they play there every Friday night.

Reply #188520 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

We only pay $2 as a spectator and of course that is no problem. Hell, I paid when I was coaching them becuse I just thought it was OK. Different horses and all that, but I've seen coaches crack the wobblies whn they were mistakenly asked to pay.

The point is valid though, there are running costs associated with a basketball that many other sports don't have to incur, since it is an indoor sport and the facilities cost a fair bit.

However, $4.50 plus is a bit much.

Reply #188524 | Report this post

Afroman  
Years ago

Stop whinging Scored Out.

Imagine if all the parents had the same attitude as you.

Complaining about $4.50 per week per adult spectator.
You get to see good quality junior basketball. many games I have seen has been a lot more exciting and entertaining than our 36ers side.

Nothing in life is free, so move on.

Ps. I think you have a lot of catching up to do on the score bench.

Reply #188539 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The elite netballers play on Saturday mornings/afternoons during winter. If any coach needed a 6'5 plus centre, go do some scouting then!

Reply #188543 | Report this post

Julius C.  
Years ago

Libertine, Basketballers often make great netballers, but from what I have seen so far (over the last 10 years watching juniors) netballers do not normally make good basketballers.

There are exceptions, but it isnt the norm.

Reply #188553 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The "elite netballers" - ie State League, play Friday nights, some Tuesday nights and occasional Saturday afternoon games. The cost to get in to watch is $4.50 for an adult and about $3 for concession - probably the same as basketball.

For those closed minded individuals who are saying "tightarse", "stop whinging" etc to Scored Out, maybe it is you who should get a life. For some people (many) these days, $4.50 for 2 parents or 1 parent and another kid, or even 1 parent 2-3 times per week, plus the kids cost to play, is too much given petrol prices, interest rate rises etc and the effect all of these have hard on the average working family.

Reply #188560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all ok now because the State Government is giving $105M to support sport in SA.

Oh wait ...

Reply #188564 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agreed lockstock. I know I struggle to pay my kids fees for their sporting commitments, petrol, uniforms, drinks etc. plus still have ten bucks spare for my game on a Tuesday!

Reply #188566 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I agree it can be hard and I made mention of it above with people in my sons team. And here it's only $2. I do feel for people being slugged $4.50 plus. Especially for a family where it can add up pretty quick.

My concern was more around the fact that "Scored Out" was claiming an exemption from paying for the ONE time in SEVEN years that he has "weakened" enough to actually score for his son's team. If he scored week in and week out and was getting charged for spectating as well, I would wholeheartedly agree that it is a problem and financially unfair.

As a one-off, it's hardly cause for complaint, is it?

Reply #188569 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No, not really.

Reply #188575 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

In another lifetime I was involved with Basketball in Canberra. The ACT Association had a system (not sure if it still exists) whereby teams in ALL grades paid a set game fee per team which covered all costs, including 'referee/umpire' fees. Clubs were even given a discount if they paid the whole seasons fees at the time of registration. At that time we could then go and watch our son play at no cost and could also watch Division One games at no cost. Seems to me that it was a fairly good system. Don't see why the same type of system could not be implemented by Basketball SA - or maybe it's too simple.

Reply #188580 | Report this post

Scored Out  
Years ago

Dicko,

I just want to clarify one thing.

I was making the comment not for myself.
I video most my son's games, so i am not sitting down doing nothing, and his mother does the scoring. We do our required commitment.

I do feel for those people who score, there should be some sort of relief.

Last year, I estimated that we spent over $3,000 on basketball related expenses including 2 trips to Melbourne.
Giving that is paid out of after tax earning, one has to earn about $5,000 just to pay for one basketball player.

So, I do believe that commitment to basketball is at a price, and it will become more costly as the price of fuel goes up.

Maybe the way I wrote the thread you did not like, but really basketball is going to become a more of an elite sport because the average person on the street will not be able to afford the full commitment that is required to be a district basketballer.

Reply #188601 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Well THAT is fine then. Either.....

A) I was missing the point you were trying to make

or

B) You didn't make it very well in your initial post

Either way, it's all good.

And I agree that Basketball (and sport in general) is becoming very expensive for families to participate in.

Seems the cost of everything in life is going up, except for the cost of me to my employer.

Reply #188605 | Report this post

Not good at maths  
Years ago

Just a quick calculation on what it is costing my family for one child to play div 1 for the winter season;

Melbourne competition.
4-5 tanks of petrol for the weekend @ approx $95 each = $475.00. This includes driving around Melbourne to 5 different stadiums.

Accomodation is approx $150 per night for 3 nights (thats leaving on Monday)$450.00.

Total for the weekend is approx $925.00

Fees for the season = approx $285.00

I.T. camp = $90.00

Admission for player & 2 parents to each match, approx $15 each = $315.00 (guessing on 21 rounds approx)

Add at least 1 pair of sneakers for the season @ approx $100; I am counting on already having a uniform.

Approx total for my family for the winter season comes in at $1715.00.

Add to this an extra $4.50 entrance every now & then to take my son to Ref at different stadiums and it does strat to add up.

If you have two children in div 1 then you are in for a huge cost. I know of 1 family that has 4 kids in 4 different div 1 age groups.

All costs are approx, but happy for someone to tell me if I have stuffed up some place. I'm thinking that $1600-$1750 really isnt too bad considering the time it soaks up and the enjoyment we all get out of it.

Reply #188622 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

but there is a simple answer to that. Become an employer

Reply #188625 | Report this post

Scored Out  
Years ago

Not Good at maths.

You should also take the petrol costs of 2 trainings every week.
Also, a few people I know go home, and then return to pick up again, that doubles the cost.
Alterntively sharing transport costs do help, where one picks up and someone else drops off.

Also the cost to get from home to the various stadiums for the games.

One also needs to look at the cost of the summer season, which for some of us includes another trip to Melbourne.

So I think the annual cost is a lot more [Add the odd speeding fine to victoria] getting the players to the stadium on time

Yes, we do do get an enourmous amount of entertainment from the game. As much as I complain, I would not want my son to give it up at all.

Reply #188650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really irritates me that I have to pay the entrance fee when I score. With family finances getting tighter and tighter, families need a break - where ever they can get it. 'Scored out' talks about basketball being a sport for the elite. Unfortunately I have heard this from many parents who shy away from basketball as a sport option for their kids because of the 'huge cost'. My children did not start basketball until later than most for this very reason - we could not afford for them to play. Church netball was a much cheaper option - no weekly fees just registration fees which are less than half the cost of basketball fees. My children love basketball, and I feel very grateful that I can now afford for them to play. Basketball cost our family well in excess of $5,000 this past 12 months. Do I regret it - NO. I do wonder how some families afford it though. It also concerns me that the sport is missing out talent and children are missing out on the wonderful experience that is basketball.

Reply #188675 | Report this post

Not good at maths  
Years ago

I did forget to include the cost of injuries from the game. I would say in the last 12 months we have spent approx $600-$700 to treat or rehabilitate injuries sustained as a direct of result playing or training.

When out shopping on the odd Thursday night I feel that we have made the right decision to include our child in such a team oriented sport when you see some of the kids that hang out in large groups, especially at Tea Tree Plaza.

My son freaks out if there is a chance he will either miss or be late for training; I am sure it has taught him a responsability to his team mates and coach that some kids not involved in sports just dont get.

Reply #188677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If kids make the state team, add another $1600, or twice that if both parents are going to watch, plus 150 to get to and from trainings...

Could have bought a small house with the $$ we've thrown into bball...No regrets, but it is very expensive and I'm sure the sport misses out on some real talent because of that.

Reply #188679 | Report this post

Murry Magpie  
Years ago

Unfortunately, things cost money if we expect a certain standard. I don't mind paying the entrance fee and don't mind paying taxes, provided they are spent wisely!
IMO The same people who complain about entrance fees are generally the first to complain about the standard of stadiums. It's the same with roads and taxes. The first who complain about the condition of roads are those who don't like paying taxes.

Reply #188680 | Report this post

Maybe Scored Out should be subsidising his son's mothers entrance fees as it seems she is carrying the can in terms of the family scoring responsibility!!

Reply #189116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754