Niiiice
Years ago

Favourite sporting moments

Having an interesting discussion at work at the moment regarding people's favourite sporting moment of all time.
Kieran Perkin's gold medal against the odds was mentioned by a few. Anyone like to share theirs?

Topic #16019 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

1. Australia beating Uruguay @ the Sydney Football Stadium in 2003 - hands down.

2a. 1997 Crows Grand Final
2b. 1998 Crows Grand Final

3. 1994 Game 1 NBL Grand Final 36ers v North Melbourne - loudest I have ever heard any sporting crowd live

4. 1996 Sheffield Shield Final - SA v WA - was at the game watching an injured Jamie Siddons and Shane George bat for 2 hours and make 3 runs and then Peter McIntyre coming in as the last wicket with George and battng for an hour to draw the game and win the match - it was amazing.

Reply #188606 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Michael Klim- we will smash the aussies like guitars eh? 2000 olympics
Gary Hall Jnr v Thorpie
I don't think i've ever been so transfixed to a race of any type ever since

Reply #188608 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

My boys first 20 point Basketball game (he was only 8 at the time)

:-)

Reply #188611 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

Steve Waugh final 100 against the poms gave me goose bumps

Reply #188612 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Avoiding John Rillie having a drinking contest with 3 50 plus year old woman at Players bar post grand final win Uuuuugglllyyy!!

Reply #188613 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

A few of mine in order of best to next best (so hard to get it below a fair few):

- Michael Jordan flu game (game 5 v Utah 1997 NBA finals).
- Lance Armstrong's 7th tour de France win. I watched every night and if you have never watched the tour before you have no idea the extent to which these guys push their bodies.
- Mike Tyson biting off Holyfield's ear (memorable for all the wrong reasons).
- Steve Waugh's 201 v West Indies in [Barbados?]. His partnership with Mark was unbelievable.
- Adam Gilchrist's century in the 2007 World Cup final and ricky Ponting's ton in the 2003 one.
- Steven Bradbury winning gold in Salt Lake City.

Reply #188614 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

2001-2003 Brisbane Lions Premierships. Finally showed some achievments after once being the laughing stock of the league.

Tyson biting Holyfield's ear (Wrong reasons, but you don't forget it).

MJ Flu Game Vs Utah

Steve Waugh's 100 Vs Poms

Gilly's contribution to def Pakistan in Hobart. That was back 1999-2001 sometime.

Reply #188616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE

Reply #188618 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

How bout the Aussie runner that went back to pick up a fallen runner, then went on to win... That is a cut above.

Reply #188620 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Todd Gower leaping off the Sixers bench, removing his warm up gear and sprinting up to Coach Voldemort only to be told to sit down again because Volde had actually motioned for someone else to check in and not Todd!

Reply #188623 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Oh also when The Undertaker through Mankind off the top of a steal cage at Hell In A Cell in 1998

Reply #188624 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

1999 World Cup Semi Final Australia draw South Africa to go to the final.

Australias Womens Waterpolo win at the Sydney Olympics.

Kieran Perkins 1500m win at Atlanta Olympics

are all up there, but for me, my favourite was James Hird kicking the winning goal in the dying seconds against West Coast in 2004 and hugging the spectator.

Reply #188627 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Aytron Senna at Monaco 1984, the arrival of a legend on the world stage.

Willie dunking on Melvin Thomas

Billy Fikes and the Bullets who gave the SEABL title a shake at the Armoury in Murray Bridge.

Warney at the height of his powers pre operation. I think he was averaging a wicket every 2 overs at one stage, truly amazing.

Allan Border and Dean Jones at Adelaide Oval punishing the Sri Lankans in a ODI, Deano taking a run on a wide to move off strike and get stuck on 99 n.o. and AB made 118 n.o.

The USA first loss of the Dream Team era, proving that the game had changed.

Reply #188633 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Sorry 'threw' in the last post

When Gaze dunked on Cecil Exum

Reply #188636 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Gill Rolton getting back on her horse to get Australia Gold in the teams event, with broken ribs and Collarbone. Guts personified

Reply #188638 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

Also for the older ones winning the Americas Cup was awesomes in 83 or 84 was at Uni all those parties could not remember what year.

Reply #188640 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The Gaze dunk on Exum was huge - remember it well

Reply #188642 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I think Cathy Freeman winning gold in the 400m at Sydney was really quite inspirational. And something that hasnt been raised yet.

Darren Jarmans 6 goals against St Kilda in 97 Grand Final - Favourite player of all time. And I am a Port supporter!

Reply #188643 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

So many Jordan games........don't know where to start.

Sixers back-to-back titles.

Reply #188644 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

SVD, lockstock....gold..

Bulls 1996 season.
SA winning the Shield
Port Adelaide winning the AFL Premiership
S.Waugh against the poms in Sydney
Bevan hitting last ball for 4 off Roger Harper
Rafter and Poo US Open final
Sampras and Agassi US open final

Meeting Don Bradman and getting an autograph.

Reply #188645 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Eric 'The Eel' Moussambani's tragic attempt to swim in the Sydney Olympics.

Way to go Easy!

Reply #188647 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You guys are in BIG trouble when Cecil does his monthly Google of his own name.

Get your raincoats ready...there's a spray coming.

Reply #188648 | Report this post

knowledge  
Years ago

when the Opals won the World Championship.

and the Crows Grand Final wins.

When my daughter scored her first 2 points in u/10's.

Reply #188652 | Report this post

Spicey  
Years ago

I agree with who me. Gillian Rolton was awesome. Watching Cathy Freeman win that race at the Sydney Olympics was memorable as well.

Reply #188654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cathy freemans 400m in 2000, it was also australias 100th olympic gold medal

Reply #188658 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Cecil Exum being named "The Michael Jordan of Australian basketball." - this happened some time in the early 1990's in a place called Pretend-land.

Reply #188659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Lockett 1300th goal hands down is the greatest

Reply #188661 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Grant Hackett winning 1500mtr gold with a collapsed lung

Reply #188662 | Report this post

bazza  
Years ago

The Poms winning back the Ashes courtesy of a Pieterson ton! Tony Blair interrupting a press conference to announce the score!

Crows 1997 preliminary final

As a youngster I think I remember Scott Whitmore sinking a basket from halfway across the court to win an ABL game on the buzzer. I was pretty young at the time but it was pretty inspiring. Did anyone see this? Obviously a great ABl moment. Anyone got any favoruite ABL moments?

Reply #188668 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

For me events I have been to
86 game 3 at the Apollo
Back to Back Championships Games 1 & 2, then Game 2 & 3 second time around
1998 Crows Preliminary Final
2002 Championship

Events on TV
Crows Premierships and the city parties afterwards - nothing beats driving into the city with crowds lining the roads and crawling down Rundle St before they closed it to traffic in 1997
Lowndes with shedding a tear on the podium in 2006 at Bathurst
Sydney Olypmics as a whole
Bevo scoring the winning runs in a ODI - I think it was Sydney

There are 119 other things I can think of, but I just cant write them all down ;)

Reply #188669 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

david hookes scoring the fastest century of the time 112 runs of 42 balls against the vics, he was pissed off at what he thought was and unsporting declarations, sa went on to score 406 in 2 sessions to win on the final day. my first game of cricket live and what agame hookes and hilditch where a cut above.

socceroos v ur gay what a game, i doubt we will ever see the likes of that again as for passion and brining the wider community together again

Reply #188676 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100... i wasn't alive but yeah, you get the point

Reply #188748 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

not favourite but interesting was Greg Leganis the diving champion who backflipped and banged his head on the spring board. He had to get stitches blood entered the pool. Authorities did not know what to do as he was openly gay, they were thinking off draining the pool.

Reply #188751 | Report this post

Wyatt Earp  
Years ago

1999 Cricket World Cup Semi-final - tied in the semi-final where a mix-up between South African batsmen Lance Klusener and Allan Donald saw Donald drop his bat and stranded mid-pitch to be run out.
In the final, Australia dismissed Pakistan for 132 and then reached the target in less than 20 overs, with eight wickets in hand.

Cathy Freeman's Gold - at mates place at West Lakes, watching it through the Data Projector he'd borrowed from work...

Crows premiership double, Jarman's 6 in the 2nd half were awesome.

Reply #188757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For 5 dollars cold hard cash.......Fatty Vortins Farrrrking catch!!!!!

Reply #188759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754