Cat 15
Years ago

SA's best big man coach

I'm wondering who people would recommend to work with a big man on footwork etc.. Any club etc... Who si the best?
What about for guards/swingmen?

I'm really looking for people who could do individual workouts to help bring someone along.
Thanks

Topic #16028 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What club is this person at for starters????

Reply #188695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also there isnt necessarily a best coach its about finding the right coach for the players needs!!! also dont just look for star former players, there are some current players and coaches around who knows there stuff who aren't considered superstars due to physical limitations etc

Reply #188697 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I found Scott Whitmore to be an excellent big man coach. As Scott was extremelly unathletic, he relied on footwork, hesitations and fakes to score in the post. Defensively he was as slow as the train to Outer Harbour, but again relied on positioning and leverage.

Scott was able to translate his game to skills coaching, and the limited time I spent with him my post game excelled, to the point where I was dominating players half my age.

Reply #188705 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

I found Steve Holder to be a great coach too. My thoughts would always be if you're going the past player route to look at whether they relied on their athleticism or fundamentals. Those players are going to make better coaches.

Reply #188711 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Shin splints, I used to dominate players half my age too... then I hit my 20's.

Reply #188712 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

lol XY

Reply #188715 | Report this post

I know that this one will get people mocking me, but I recommend John Beams. He runs individual's with bigs and guards all the time.

He is a great teacher of the game.

Reply #188716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just not small children

Reply #188719 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

Paul Mesecke

Did great work with John in the U18 boys group

Reply #188720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sappa runs the best indivs in the state and Rich Hill

Reply #188721 | Report this post

I think its horses for courses. It depends on where you are at, where you want to get to and what you can find out about the coach.

I think you want a coach that has shown he can take a young player and teach and develop them to a National calibre player.

For mine it would be Mesecke. His work with both young men and women is proven.

Weekes seems to have been great with some of the (female) guards he has worked with.

Whitmore AND Sapper LOL!

Reply #188725 | Report this post

Ninnis or Hill or Flynn would be another ones

Reply #188726 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Michael Humphries (if he is still coaching) and Rees would be my favourites

Reply #188750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what he is doing now but Steve Holder definatly was a very good big man coach!

Reply #188758 | Report this post

More important, what needs to be taught has to be in context to the structure the player is in currently. I would get a coach that looks at the environment the player is in and then teach the relevant skills that the player can use straight away.It is not hard to research skills/drills for big men for example with the plethora of information available today. Deciding what skills the player needs to be more effective on their current team is more important. I see players practicing skills/drills which you know they will never use in a game. Why do it? Time is too precious. Slim it down and be great at a few things, not ordinary at many.

Reply #188760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liam Flyn very good at teaching how to seal in the post, sapwel very good teaching men how to be more active in the game

Reply #188776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Beams and Paul Mesecke

Both are fantastic and technically brilliant.

Reply #188878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Just not small children' if you are referring to John Beams when making this statement

I HAVE TO DISAGREE ! ! ! !

It is some vocal minority parents who can't cope with him. Children respect him and learn from him. He is a great teacher. My daughter had him a few years ago, and thought he was terrific - she still speaks of that experience fondly, even if at first she was scared... she was scared of any new experience. He turned her from a timid little girl into a child who adores basketball and more importantly he gave her confidence.

Thanks again John.

Reply #188882 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Most people would only recall John Beames as a referee. In his younger days he was a very good player and has brought those skills to coaching. He is an excellent 'technical coach' and ensure that his players have the 'basics' of basketball. A lot of people say he is pedantic (even when he refereed) and that might turn people off, however, if you want to be coached or tutored by one of the best in SA then you would do well to contact Beamsy. It's a shame that the "people in power" don't recognise his skills and utilise him at an elite level, but then again maybe he would be too threatening.

Reply #188955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754