skip
Years ago

Ent Cent to be extended with 2500 person sub-venue

http://linky.com.au/21p2b

$50 Million is to be spent on revamping the Entertainment Centre which includes building a new smaller centre on the site for upto 2500 people. That is sure to put more of a dent in any plans the Dome may have had on having concerts there in the future.
I also dont think Thebby Theatre will be too pleased to hear this either.

The tram line is also to be extended down there as well. I cant see how they can justify the tram which would only be used to get to the site a oouple of nights a week.

Topic #16052 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Apparently the long term plan with the tram is to take it to semaphore via the port - to cater for all those travellers going from Semaphore to Glenelg of course.

Reply #188975 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

I think The Gov may hate it more than the Thebby.....

Reply #188979 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The gov caters more for crowds of around the 500 - 700 mark. I dont think it would affect them so much.

Thebby on the other hand have a general admin capacity of 2000.

Reply #188993 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

It could only benefit the Gov if u think about it .

Reply #189006 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have already seen the plans for the tram line to Semaphore.

Finally the state seems to be getting organised and playing catch up to the other states.

Imagine if the governments past had not ripped up all the tram lines in the first place!

Reply #189014 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

thebby won't recieve much of a dent to it at all... its a well known venue which continues to hold some of the best shows in town, promoters and artists alike will continue to use it. entertainment center adding this on will pull more corporate things than anything. as already said, the gov caters to a max capacity of around 700, but is only really good for a semi large name artist to perform at, as it is ages away from the city to pull any real walk ups.

Reply #189078 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

should also point out rann is an idiot if this revamp will pull another 25 more live acts to adelaide over a year, a new venue wont make the punters go out and buy tickets... stupidest idea ever

Reply #189079 | Report this post

Years ago

It's a little off-topic, but I just want to expand on/complain about this proposed new tram extension. Why put a tram down to West Lakes and Port Adelaide, when there is already plenty of buses and trains going to those areas? Why not improve the bus system (or build a train line) for Mount Barker, which in the past couple of years is one of the fastest growing suburbs not just in South Australia, but the whole country?

The current public transport system in Mount Barker is nothing short of a joke. The buses to and from the city go every hour, and the service that connects people around the suburb with city buses doesn't run after 7pm, or on weekends, leaving people without a car pretty much stranded. At those times, if you want to catch a bus, you have to drive your car into the middle of Mount Barker (which for some living in the suburb could still be a 3-4km drive). Pretty ridiculous IMO.

Also, this is diverting further from the topic, but why is there all that grass outside The Dome, when it's only ever used for parking anyway? Wouldn't it have been more sensible originally (and more sensible now in times of water restrictions) to make it a proper ashphalt carpark?

IMO, they should just forget about The Dome for NBL play, (and either just use it for local games, as a 36ers training base, or demolish it) and have the 36ers play at the Entertainment Centre. That way, the SA Government might actually take an interest in SA basketball.

Reply #189080 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also consider that the Dome grass is realistically used about 15-16 times a year. Very wasteful.

Asphalt is just going to absorb more heat. There are a lot of things that could be done to make more use of the space.

Reply #189097 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I have just heard a rumour that the new smaller ent cent venue will also double as a Nightclub for nights when it is not booked.

Reply #189102 | Report this post

Years ago

Well if ashphalt will just absord more heat, I'm sure something could be done to make better use of it. Maybe turn it into soccer pitches, for use by local teams (I'm not sure who's in the area?) or something. It just seems to be a big waste of space IMO.

Reply #189113 | Report this post

b  
Years ago

Should do some work an some areas of the grass convert it into a local football field during the winter.

Reply #189123 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

150m to the NW is a Football field and about 25m North is a Soccer pitch.

Reply #189126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

3, archery fields, paintball, trash and treasure, used car sales meets (those are popular in NZ), etc.

Reply #189139 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

paintball... now your talking....

I still sporting 8 bruises the size of pingpong balls over my back and neck from last weekends action....

Reply #189141 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

and I bet they were from your team mates.........

Reply #189144 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

your problem right. we were playing the 'firing line' for the winner of each game.

Reply #189150 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

this new venue will not double as a club... HQ is the biggest club venue in town with capacity of about 1100, so theres no chance of this new venue sustaining itself on off days as a club, just won't happen... as for use of the grass area of the dome, once again, would be great for festivals

Reply #189244 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I thought the grass at the Dome was over a rubbish dump & it wasn't desireable to use it intensively?

Reply #189273 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of those activities wouldn't be that much more intense than driving and parking cars on it.

Reply #189275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754