ritz
Years ago

Why don't the Boomers rate Big Luke??

Just seen the Boomers squad, Luke didn't make the cut. Do we as passionate Adelaidians (if that's a word) maybe rate Luke too high? Or is it that the Boomers don't rate him that high? The guy has played in the most professional basketball league in the world, surely he can make the Boomers...

Topic #16055 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

when was the last time those rating him highly saw him play? there's the answer

Reply #189008 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Could possibly be to do with the fact he only recently had knee surgery. Goorj certainly likes to have his team as fit as possible and be able to run and run. Lukes fitness may not be up to scratch yet.

Reply #189009 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

its an interesting question.

I think Goorg though has already decided which Post men he is taking China. I dont Goorg has ever rated Luke even when he was fit.

Reply #189015 | Report this post

Years ago

Ive been watching all the hype about Luke around Australia the past few months...And I have to ask a question back to you...

why SHOULD the boomers rate Big Luke?

Im as big a fan as anybody, but what has he done, who has he beaten, which would say he should be a walk on to the Boomers?

He was an average big man at college years ago, scraped into the NBA, and has now been injured for a year.

I would like to see him in the team, not really because he deserves to be... but because I havent seen him play in years!

Just a thought...

Reply #189016 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

He was simply a big body to soak up minutes and fouls in the NBA - both useless attributes in the much more free flowing and shorter timed International game

Reply #189020 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Over rated BIG TIME. (Mod: No sniping.....)

Reply #189021 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I would say fitness and game plan.
With Bogut, Andersen and Anstey are definitely in the team Goorj wouldn't want a 4th relatively slow player.
Since all 3 of the above can rotate between C and PF there really isn't a need for another 7'er.
They will also have Neilsen, Worthington and possibly Redhage to play SF and PF.

Since he hasn't really played in 6 months it is hard for anyone not at the training sessions to say at what level he is playing at.

Reply #189023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut, Andersen, Anstey, Neilsen are all better than him. And that is our quota of required big men taken up right there. Luke has to get better than one of the aforementioned or take his opportunity when some are unavailable. He also has the likes of AJ Ogilvy and Aleks Maric to contend with as well in the future.

Reply #189025 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Cos Hinder is superior in almost every way that's why.

Reply #189028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm sure that's tongue in cheek, but what if that was true??

Reply #189031 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Luke did take his US College Team into the Final Four.

He definitely was not an average big man at College.

Reply #189032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats great but we're talking about now. we're all assuming he'll be good based on those years but since then theres been an injury and then cut at two boomers camps since. makes me wonder if we're expecting to much

Reply #189034 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Maybe Goorj has already decided which bigs he will taking and just elected to take two guys better suited to his system (or who he likes better) in Helliwell and Hinder?

With Bogut, Andersen, Anstey, Nielson, Jawai and Ogilvy all availiable for Beijing (fingers crossed), I don't think Luke or Helliwell and Hinder were/are really a chance.

Reply #189036 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Geez I like the look of the Boomers Olympic team. Little suspect at the guards but positions 3-5 are very strong.

Having said that if Mills can have a breakout tournament, CJ is healthy, and add Newley and perhaps Barlow or Harvey and the guards are not too shabby either.

Have to be a strong medal chance

Reply #189038 | Report this post

P!nk  
Years ago

Um Luke didn't come from Southern he came from Noarlunga....and no they are not the same thing!

Reply #189047 | Report this post

Years ago

"Luke did take his US College Team into the Final Four."

I wouldnt say HE TOOK his team.

He was probably 5th best out of 5.

Reply #189054 | Report this post

Oldschool  
Years ago

This is why 36rs wont be that good
When the news come out he was coming back to Adelaide i doubted he would make impact as i dont rate him at all

He was average in college. Now if Vanderburg from Vic Metro is getting asked for tapes from UNC then there is only one reason he got time in NBA to fill a hole as 11th man

He will never be ahead of already proven big men Bogut, Anstey, Nielson, Anderson

He is just another Nick Horvath...Tall can play post but cant do much else.

Dont get me wrong he wont be a force when going inside, but he aint that nimble.

As a previous post said...he aint fit and he aint good enough

This is the first boomers team that i think will go for gold

We have quick young guards in mills, barlow and ingles and a dominant forward/centre unit

Other than the USA....We have to be contenders

Reply #189073 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

boomers dont need 4 centres, luke would have to be a damn good defender/rebounder to make the cut which he isnt.

Reply #189076 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

On the 3rd of April 2004 in the NCAA Final Four semi final, Luke Schenscher lead all scorers and rebounders with 19 and 12 in a two point victory against Oklahoma State, taking Georgia Tech into the NCAA Final. Even though they lost the final against Connecticut Huskies, he received all Final Four Team honors.
I call that taking a team into the finals.

When he was with the Fort Worth Flyers he ranked in the top 50 players for points per game and top 20 for rebounds per game in the D-League.

However Bogut, Andersen, Anstey and Nielson and all fit proven international players, and will get all the minutes in the post and power positions between them.

Now if we only had some fit proven guards at the international level....

Reply #189077 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

He did certainly NOT take his team to the NCAA Finals, but he did have a hot streak at the right time (and good on him). It's pretty much the only thing that got him anywhere near the NBA.

I think you'll find the likes of Jarrett Jack (first round NBA draft pick) and Will Bynum (big time European player with Maccabi) might have had a bit more to do with it...

Reply #189086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Word from a player at the camp (not an SA guy, so don't make assumptions) is that Luke didn't really train much as he's still carrying the injury. You all might want to relax with the "Hinder over Luke WTF?!11!"

Reply #189091 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

The era of guys walking on to the Boomers just because "You can't teach height" a 'la Mark Eaton are long gone... Beyond being 7-1 he just isn't good enough - considering all the other options we have now (now: Bogut, Andersen, Anstey, Loughton (could play in the midd. in FIBA BBall as well IMHO)) (now=>future: Jawai, Ogilvy, Maric, Nevill, etc)... I mean if you think Luke should be there then you should be including guys like Martin Iti (who would be a far better pick - mobile and and excellent defensive player) or big Sam Harris (7 foot ####ing 4) ahead of him...

Reply #189092 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Oldschool.....Aussies need to beat the Lithuanians first!

Reply #189290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw a headline suggesting that Ilgauskas was in doubt for the Olympics?

Reply #189295 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754