baller
Years ago

NBA Finals Game 2, Refs

wats does everybody think of the umpires effort in game 2? I thought they were terrible and the lakers hardly got any calls, esspecially kobe. Look at the free throw count for each team and that proves my point. Lakers will win in 6 still.

Topic #16074 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

free throw count only means they were different types of fouls. the ft counts and foul counts don't have to be equal for the refs to have done a good job...

Reply #189198 | Report this post

Gold 2008  
Years ago

LOL, what are you, another whining crybaby Faker fan?

The fact is, LA's defence is SOFT, and that's what lost them this game, not the refs. Blaming the refs is a gigantic copout in anyone's language.

Oh and Boston's bench >>>>>>> Fakers bench. Leon Powe is a BEAST.

Reply #189199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't blame the refs for the free throw count. The Celtics took the ball to the basket whilst the Lakers settled mostly for tough jump shots. Credit the Celtics intensity in the first 3 quarters, & stifling defense for forcing this. Powe took got looks in the paint & got hammered!

Reply #189200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Different free throw counts for teams dont always mean the umpires were bad, but in this game the lakers got a rough deal, if you dont think so you must have been watching a different game. Celtics outplayed the lakers no question but the umpires certainly gave a helping hand.

Reply #189201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im a die hard Laker fan. There were a few suss calls i thought, Gasol got stiffed a couple of times when he should've got and 1. Kobe got hacked when he hit that left handed runner, But Boston attacked the hoop hard and in any game that will get you to the line. Lakers showed in the 4th that they can win in Boston. What im worried about is stopping Rhondo. I thought Fish would lock him down with strength but Rhondo is just too quick. Lakers will win the next 3 no question, Boston will get game 6. Then its Kobe time!
Lakers in 7

Reply #189202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A positive for the lakers is that they can't play much worse than what they did in the first 3 quarters, that 4th quarter could well set up the next 3 wins for the lakers. The celtics lost a great opportunity to blow them out and take heaps of momentium into game 3.

Reply #189206 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

I don't think that I have seen a more biased game as seen today. The Celtics would attack the basket yes, and got plenty of free throws as a result. However, there were so many calls that shouldn't have been. The Lakers would fart and they would have gotten a foul against them.

Kobe was getting pushed around and still no call, and then when he makes space on Allen he gets called for a offensive foul.

At one stage the free throw count was 26-2 in favour of Boston. Leon Powe, 15 minutes on for 13 free throws! Is that an NBA record? He would barely get touched and they gave him 2 shots every time. That's just ridiculous.

The Lakers will still win this series in 6. They nearly won today whilst playing awful and having no favour from the refs. Once the refs are more consistent both ways, the Lakers will take over.

Reply #189207 | Report this post

How about the massive travel by vlad rad to put the game within 6. terrible umpiring.

Reply #189208 | Report this post

And if the Cs hit the foul shots, this game would have been a blowout, i'd be worried if i were a Lakers fan.

Reply #189209 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Officiating seemed on par with most the other games in the playoffs so far. There were some mistakes and no calls, but that can be said for both teams. The FTA disparity was due to Boston taking the ball to the basket, the Lakers going over the foul limit and Leon Powe. Going through the stats from the game, the Lakers only had one FTA from their big men. They just didn't attack the rim enough. Great fight back in the last 7 1/2 minutes, they just lit it up from the perimeter.

I just can't see the Celtics losing 3 games in a row in LA, defensively we will shut them down. Get one game on the road, win game 6 at home and we got it. Celtics 4-2.

Reply #189211 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TC you are on the money. The refs were fine - not perfect - but they did a decent job and were not the reason the Celtics won this game.

Quite simply, the Celtics played as they are capable of for 3 quarters and the Lakers had a tough time matching up. KG had a bad game offensively and he still easily matched the output of Gasol. No-one on the Lakers looks capable of stopping Pierce and Allen from doing what they like and there is no-one to stop Powe and Perkins from getting to the basket and drawing fouls either.

As I thought going into this series, Boston is going to control the paint and shut down most avenues to the basket, so it really comes down to whether the Lakers passing game is good enough to get their jump shooters enough open looks.

The Lakers have managed to get their shooters going for one quarter, but boy was it an impressive quarter!

So does anyone else see the similarities between Boston vs LA and the Sixers grand finals against Goorjian's Magic and Titans a decade back?

Boston is like Goorjian's teams in the sense that they both play great defence and are known for their offensive droughts at times.

Whereas the Lakers, like the Sixers of old, are a team that can absolutely shoot the lights out and blow you out in a quarter if you don't keep them under pressure.

The difference is that the Sixers played good enough defence and Goorj's teams had the Bear and Jason Brickie Smith instead of Pierce and Allen!

I'm hoping Phil Smyth hasn't sent his namesake in LA the Sixers playbook from those two years! (Yeah, I know, what playbook).

Beat LA in LA
Beat LA in LA
Beat LA in LA
Beat LA in LA

Reply #189215 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

ahahahahahahaha why the hell are all you lakers fans complaining the refs kept your team in the bloody game.
Did anyone see Radmanovic's dunk to make it a 4 point game? he took like 4 steps and the refs didn't call a travel...

Reply #189232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I can say is.........CHARITY!
Different story in LA
Boston got every call all game was a joke.
How was Kobes clearout on Allen? JOKE! and you fools talk about Vlads travel. I bet you Boston fans werent cheering in the 4th. More like biting your nails watching 3point bombs. The 4th quater today showed me that when its money time in game 7 the Celtics will fold.
Lakers in 7 with a blowout game 3 by 30. Lakers cant play any worse, this series will go down as one of the best. And congrats to Powe, Played a great game but he wont get 10 foul shots in all 3 in LA.
Dont get ahead of yourself Boston fans you only held serve. If Atlanta took you to 7 the Lakers are going to take you to town.
LETS GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #189240 | Report this post

the celtics folded in the 4th? I thought they held on to win.

so a clear out foul which was probably committed in the 2nd quarter or something is a worse call than a blatantly obvious travel late in the 4th. ok

Reply #189247 | Report this post

8 on 5  
Years ago

love the celtics fans saying the game was called even. you guys are in deniel.

game 3 4 and 5 kobe needs to shoot 25+ freethrows each game just to make up all the missed calls already been made.

then i would like to see the celtics complain about the refs.

look at kobes two fouls in the first quarter. i didnt know u couldnt breathe on a player.

Reply #189248 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

vlad took like 2.5 maybe three steps, but every fast break is like that anyway. But did anyone notice that fisher got hacked before that when sasha hit that three? The refs almost destroyed their whole purpose with the no call. Which let a wide open three happen. To say that game wasnt biased is crazy, the thing is, i didnt know a player can get more freethrows then a whole team in 15 minutes. lol U gotta be realistic. A game called right down the middle will be more entertaining cuz both teams are great, both can beat the other fairly. The refs are makin the celtics look bad honestly. The lakers got close because of the refs not calling fouls, which led to open threes. So take it how you want it lol.

Reply #189249 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I think the commentators stated it best with the line "If the rulebook was followed to the letter, then 95% of offensive plays would be called travel.

The lakers defense was soft like butter until the 4th; when they actually turned it on. In all honesty; had that level of play been enforced since the 1st then the result would still have been the same, just without the 20pt+ margins.

If you're wondering why I said the D' was soft; you might recall the Powe Coast-to-Coast jam where he cut through 4 defenders (who stood and watched).

Reply #189252 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

ELG - we rewound and watched the Radmanovic travel over and over. He took four glorious steps for mankind. It was hilarious. The amount of travelling in general that isn't called is a disgusting blight on the game, but of course we all knew that already.

Reply #189257 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The officiating was horrible in this game. LA did play matador defence letting rondo and pierce into the lane where they both made smart plays, usually passing for easy buckets with and-1 outcomes.

What i don't understand is how you can have a player dominating inside, scoring at will with a high percentage, looking to pass if doubled- all the things coaches love, and you give him only 11 or 12 looks?

Gasol could be dominating this series.

LA needs to stop isolating Kobe and start flowing through Gasol, a guy that will provide Kobe with space and driving lanes. A guy that will provide Lamar the chance to crash offensive boards, a guy that will get shooters open looks...

One thing i did notice, Garnett when he takes those jumpers, gives his team a great chance at offensive boards.
70% of rebounds go long, thats a fact, so when you shoot from a corner, the defence can box the opposite side.
When Garnett shoots from straight on- that 70% range is out the window, board could go anywhere, this creates a larger range for rebounds, more space for the D to try to box out. Considering Gasol and Odom are the only Lakers who look interested in rebounding the ball (the others are trying to fast break) the Celtics have been crashing the boards and getting bonus looks and shots.

Reply #189262 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Radmonovic took 4 - 5 steps.
I don't care who wins the series, although I must admit, I was cheering for the Lakers to have the biggest comeback in the 4th. But for that to not be called in the context of where the game was at that moment, is a joke. AND it was Radmonovic....Kobe I could maybe understand the no call...

Reply #189265 | Report this post

I love sasha 'who are you' vujacic complaining about the refs. "It will be different in LA" why, are you going to pay off the refs. Are you admitting that the refs in the NBA favour the home team?

Reply #189271 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

How flat and hard are Garnett and Kobe's jumpshots from the top of the key, by the way??

(For the viewers at home, the answer is "very flat and very hard.")

Reply #189280 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I thought that too hereschenes, just figured the TV was widescreen and stretched the image a bit...

Interesting comment from Brian Shaw
(can't type his name without hearing Marv Albert say his name)

Claimed that the celtics played two infront of Kobe and the rim everytime down the floor, Kobe had to pass or shoot contested jumpers, neither of which was really working.

The adjustment he offered was to play the offence away from Bryant, through Gasol and have Kobe be the guy the ball gets swung to after a double team. Hal-a!@!kin-luliah!

Reply #189302 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

For all those complaining about the calls in game 2, they went both ways and had very little impact on the game (other than the fact Kobe was too focused on the refs and forgot to play good basketball).

Just one example was the foul Garnett got early in the 1st when KOBE ran into his CHEST while was STANDING STILL. There are dozens of these plays in every game and we all remember the ones we want to (especially the ones ESPN shows 300 times).

Why is anyone surprised that the Celtics shot a lot more free throws when they were the aggressors, attacking the basket all night long? Other teams did the same thing to Boston earlier in the playoffs.

Seriously, the Lakers played badly and were lucky to get so close. No way they deserved to win that game, refs or no refs.

Quagmire, you make good points about long rebounds from KG's top of the key jumper and that the Lakers should look to run more offence through Gasol. I think they will do that in game 3 and make a point of getting to the line.

I don't agree that Gasol will dominate (Perkins and Garnett will make life tough for him), but he will do enough to open up the Laker shooters a bit.

Pressure is on the Lakers (teams have only come back from 2-0 down in the finals 3 times in history - Wade and the Heat most recently) now to win 3 at home, but I think they will likely get two, with one game that could go either way.

I'm still liking my Celtics 4-3 prediction!

Reply #189358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754