Soulman
Years ago

36ers Import Spot - clock's ticking

Could anyone tell me the low down on seeing Hodge suit up for the sixers again next season ,I know these things can take some working out, but surely the sixers have a cut off point in chasing his services so they can pursue another quality player. We dont want the same situation as last season in getting an import who we knew was injured losing most of our games in the first half of the season to miss out on a finals spot with one game remaining.

Topic #16091 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds like they'll leave that spot for him until about late june.
But, Ballinger nearing naturalisation. As is Dusty who coast fm said is here. Intereting?
We would want a swingman and points to consider.

Reply #189364 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I think signing Dusty is a no brainer.

Sure, he may have to sit out some games but when Ballinger natrualises Dusty will be there to go straight into the team and having already been training, the chemistry would not be altered unlike when a NEW import rocks in midway through a season.

PLUS, Dusty will be naturalising sooner rather than later, so there is potential for 2 MORE imports in seasons to come...

Luke/Cooper
Ballinger/Dusty
Jacob/Winatana
Maher/Hill
Davidson/Kersten

I like that team a lot!

Reply #189366 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

With the team above the Winitana signing makes some sense and keeps the balance good, and say we get Hodge and do what the Dragons did with Horvath keep dusty training until he or ballinger is naturalised we can cut Winitana and i think dusty would then fit in under the points cap, im pretty sure we had 19 points prior to sigining winitana which would be enough for Dusty and Hodge, just the import restriction getting in the way, which wont be an issue when dusty and/or ballinger is an aussie.
Looks good and will be great to have Dusty back in a 36ers uniform!

Reply #189370 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Whoa, that sounds wicked . Dusty's form last season was exceptional although he still seems to fly under the radar as a standout player in this league.Still think sixers need a player to ignite the team and exite the crowd for next season.

Reply #189371 | Report this post

Afroman Jnr  
Years ago

do you really think dusty will be happy sitting on the bench?
he's a pure starter without a question to me, don't think he would like that to much, but if that does happen that would be a very smart move for the Sixers, get two great imports into Aussie players to make room for new imports, sounds great to me, i reckon Ninnis should try this, either way the first season will be better then last, and look at the benefits for future years...

saying that, if we go sign dusty, then Hodge says oh i'm coming back now, what could we do? lose the best import we have had in a long time? tough call for Ninnis and the Sixers

Reply #189374 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I disagree about signing Dusty. Wait till after the NBA draft and sign whoever just misses out on a spot. If not Hodge someone else will be desperate to get a spot that just missed out. Darnell Mee missed a spot on the Charlotte Hornets squad one year, signed with us, and we won a title with a new coach.... got another new coach THANK GOD...lets bring in another borderline super star, see what that brings.

Getting sick of this league just recycling the same 'safe' players, take a calculated risk!

Reply #189375 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

agreed Kobe24.

i cannot really see Dusty and Hodge/another import fitting in the cap anyways..

Reply #189377 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Rychart had his shot with the Sixers and that's that. We've already got a better PF replacing him and having an import off the bench is pointless; you're better off using local talent for that.

Besides, after Rychart decided to use the Brett Maher testemonial dinner to rub his title win with the bullets in, he can sod off (regardless of if he was kidding or not).

Reply #189385 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

There is potential for the sixers to spend 10 points but it wont be on an import.

Reply #189405 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with kobe24 that there is no need to rush to get a import or go for the safe import that has played here . Chappell is a great excample of doing that and Hodge late recruitment is a great reason to make a later decision, when NBA dreams have been shattered. Much as enjoyed Dustys time here he is not what we require in this team . However a key to whole situation is how much Sixers are wanting to spend as I believe we are building a team to a budget not to the salary cap. Poss.. reason we grabbed Winatana when we did .
I am hoping and sure Sixers are looking for alternative to Hodge and that they are a point scoring guard , which I believe will provide us with a strong team, though playerwise not as good as Melb. teams who I cant believe can be under salary cap or points system.
Kent Brockman what are you hinting at with your statement

Reply #189411 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I personally would be prepared to wait til say July-August upto around 2 weeks prior to the season for Hodge if need be, as he is that damm good. Im also of the opinion he is unlikely to make the nba so some patience will pay off, the only way i would sign an import other than Hodge prior to July-august is if Hodge were to sign an NBA contract or tell us he is definatly not coming back for what ever reason.
Also you can grab decent imports at pretty short notice, and they can be decent ala Hodge last season, and around that time there will be plenty of players who havnt made nba rosters lookin for gigs, also the 36ers are said to have plan b and c in place so just flick them a offer 2 weeks prior if Hodge doesnt return, worse case we could look to NZ and grab Crowe or Wethers from their league both would be half decent and provide the scoring punch needed IMO so not bad worst case scenarios.
I say be patient on Hodge, how ever if Dusty is able to be signed as a non import im all for it, im pretty sure by cutting Winitana we would be able to fit dusty and hodge in the points cap so would be more than happy for that to happen.

Reply #189416 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

10pts ? would that before and aussie overseas possibly being let go from a euro club.

Reply #189521 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

My two concerns right now are the same as they have been from day one.

1/ Davidson and Maher will not play a full season without injury, even worse if they are asked to log heavy minutes. We need someone to help carry the ball.

2/ Our team appears to be slow at every position. Who is our athletic player? If teams full court press, we will be stuffed.

It should be noted that signing Hodge or a player of that ilk would solve both problems as he could handle the ball as well as bring great length (lol) and athleticism to the team.

I agree with waiting to see who doesn't get drafted but they will likley stay in the US to try for summer league teams...

It's natural to be impatient but if the outcome is that you land a quality player, they will blend in regardless RE; Hodge last season.

Reply #189634 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Thomo, maybe

Reply #189637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754