Isaac
Years ago

Sydney Kings may be gone by 5pm

At 5pm today the National Basketball League will start the process of terminating the Sydney Kings and 20 years of history.

The Kings players and coaches will be out of jobs, the fans and the city will lose one of Australia's iconic sporting teams and the league will lose its best-known brand.

All that's left to do to kill off the Kings is for two-thirds of the other NBL participants to simply sign a piece of paper calling for renegade owner Tim Johnston's licence to be terminated.

And the NBL made it clear last night that they will act swiftly if Johnston doesn't bring the Kings out of default by paying his players and coaches their outstanding wages before the 5pm deadline.

League boss Chuck Harmison believes Johnston has no intention of paying and he also indicated that former Kings owner Mike Wrublewski's race-against-time bid to save the team was likely to fail.
Read the full article

IMO, they'll revoke the license, get rid of Johnston for good, sit out the season and be back when the league is relaunched with 10 teams probably the season after this one.

A hiccup in Sydney basketball history and devastating for the players if it happens, but hopefully the league will be stronger when they return.

Topic #16094 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A quote from another article:

Johnston has not returned Harmison's phone calls, text messages or emails since the Kings' financial meltdown became public.
I think you can understand why the league is hell-bent on getting rid of him completely. He's significantly damaged the reputation of the league.

Reply #189398 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Given the public information available about Johnson before he even purchased the licence, you would have to say a prudent organisation would not have had anything to do with him. Harmison and the league were happy to accept his money in the first place, so who is to blame?

R.I.P. Sydney - the league won't be quite the same without them.

Reply #189401 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

The King is dead.

Sad day for Australian basketball.

Reply #189406 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I hope the league are prepared for all of this. With an alternate program and provisions for other clubs to be able to fit the players without a team.

Are Brisbane still likely to go under as well?

Reply #189410 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Who do i hate now? mmm....i think melbourne seems like a good option.

Reply #189414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Brisbane are gone, yes.

Reply #189415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It sounds like Brisbane may be bought, but still won't compete this season.

I would hope that the NBL does make some provisions for the players. I don't think you'd hear too many complaints. You might hear someone like Seamus cry 'unfair' (unless he can get hold of a player himself), but I certainly don't think you'd hear any other players complaining, more likely championing the idea - there but for the grace of God and all that.

I think it would be a few things:

- The big fish should be okay. Saville/Hinder already linked to the Hawks. Kendall might be able to squeeze somewhere, or play lower division Euro for a year.

- If points are 'close', I think close should be enough. eg, we have 5 points left, this guy is a 6 - fine.

- I think bottom teams should be given room for bottom players, and I think those players with 'difficult' commitments in Sydney and Brisbane should be given room on local teams. eg BJ Carter. Pretty much no chance of getting a spot on a roster now, and with his first child due in a few months & new mortgage hanging over his head - don't think there'd be too many complaints if the Pigs were given some extra room to take him on board on a one season deal. Not exactly going to make them title contenders.

- This does not extend to top teams getting top players, ie Kendall to the Dragons or Tigers, no way.

- One season deals only. Both the Bullets and the Kings will be back in 09/10 and having a shot at getting some familiar and popular faces back will be a great help for them relaunching.

Reply #189417 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

If they both go it will be a long way back for NBL unless a real revamp is done. Pity one of them couldnt be saved as between 2 clubs enough plyrs to still be competitive and more importantly has anyone any ideas how NBL will assist those players still at Kings and Bullets. Surely some rules re points etc would have to change to get spots for these plyrs.
Changing salary cap would be dangerous though as would create a greater gap ie Melb. teams to Hawks etc

Reply #189419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree. Heard talk of BJ Carter and the Hawks though so he could be alright.

If Castro didn't have that must-start clause in his contract, Singapore would be boosted by Kendall. I guess he could still go there and back-up Castro and Ng pretty well.

Reply #189420 | Report this post

Squizzy  
Years ago

Issac,

If Sydney drops to one team, would the pig's marketing arm be straight onto a name change for them to the Sydney Razorbacks? Would the league allow this or would they see that the name change might harm their chances of getting a second team off the ground in Sydney or in future relaunching the Kings?

Seems that anything that the pigs can do to widen their supporter base would be a positive for them & maybe even the league.

Reply #189422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they wouldn't rebrand - they still have to sort out a venue!

The league will probably look to push the Pigs out of the league in a season or two anyway and bring back a single team (whether to replace the Kings or represent both past brands), I think.

Reply #189423 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

how bout say a 5 point kings/bullets player exemption for each team,only to be used for kings and bullets players would open up 11 jobs for the players of which there would be only 13ish contracted between the 2 teams and would allow almost all to be signed as if a team currently say adelaide who has 4 points left would now have 9 which is enough for a kendall or hinder. and guys who miss out say a adam tanner for the bullets could be given the opportunity to take a development spot for another team. The league should also allow 11 players to be suited up per game so that the kings/bullets players can actually suit up or dont take the place of say a brad hill or winitana in the 10 in the case of the 36ers.

Reply #189426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Pigs have a huge area all to their own - or should - that doesn't (or shouldn't) impact the Kings market. Them moving to Liverpool is the right move, hopefully resulting eventually in extensions on the stadium there to get it up to 3-4K. The greater west of Sydney population wise is larger than Brisbane + Perth combined and while it is only 3rd or 4th in Australia as a region in growth %, it is still by far # 1 in raw population growth numbers. It's a huge and ever growing market, and largely without the competition and distractions Sydney proper has - exactly why the AFL and A-League want so badly to get in there.

The big complaint with the Pigs is that they haven't actually been there. Based in Homebush they are well east of the geographic centre of Sydney, and for the Pigs to work, they need to be based in and absolutely targeting that western market. It's well separate from the Kings who are a South/North/East/Inner team. Point is - changing their name and image to be some general Sydney-wide team doesn't do them any favours. They are at the moment a 'lost' brand. They say they are West, but they're not. They float somewhere in the middle. They don't target or represent the Kings market, and they claim to represent but don't target and aren't based in the west. An even more 'general' tag and placement won't help them. Sydney is too big, and the Pigs are literally unknown in Sydney anyway. I could survey the 20 people on my floor here at work right now and I think I would be very lucky to get two people who have ever heard of them. I only say two because I know there is one other NBL fan here. I think just one more other than him would be all I'd get. The Kings? I reckon 19/20 would know who they are, but only maybe 3 or 4 people would know anything about them post-1995. The Kings will be back in 09/10 and if two teams are to work in a 'new' NBL, the Pigs absolutely need to take ownership of that western Sydney market. It's why they were given entry into the league, but (through in some cases no fault of their own) they have not represented it at all. It is key to their success and the NBL's success in Sydney. I don't think you'll see them go general, and I don't even think you'll see much if any effort by them to pull over King fans in the interim.

(Mod: Good post.)

Reply #189428 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It would help the players, but it puts the burden on existing clubs to pony up the extra money to support them for a year (potentially for little benefit if they don't have court-time or can't keep them for more than a year).

Someone like Carter may not want to relocate for little money and with a young family.

If the league shifts to 10 teams, that will mean 30 players out of jobs then too.

Not sure what the solution is there. Will be hard for young/fringe players to find jobs then.

Reply #189429 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

In the restructure could we look at having a D-League type thing, for all the fringe players and give each team a D-League affiliate. Try exactly what the NBA does and allow players to be brought up and put down into the D-League?

Could be an idea.

Reply #189453 | Report this post

steve hull  
Years ago

sydney people dont give a rats anyway !! they are the worst supporters of any sport in australia.look at the turn out to there state of origin(rugby) match.they dont deserve an nbl franchise,give to a city that would support it like darwin !!
brisbane to townsville to cairns to darwin to perth to adelaide to melbourne etc

Reply #189454 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I only skimmed this thread (pressed for time), but is both BNE and SYD dont put a team in, SURELY the NBL needs to bump the pts cap up a bit.

While is sux that the Bullets wont play this season (Adelaide fan living in BNE), surely the standard in the league has to be massively improved.

I prey that the NBL starts to get serious about its branding and marketing. It has to turn this from a negative to a serious positive much like the A-League did.

The A-League was built off the back of a very strong showing by the Socceroos in the World Cup. Basketball may have a similar opportunity with Bejing.

Reply #189484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Press conference tomorrow morning:

NBL CEO MEDIA CONFERENCE

National Basketball League (NBL) Chief Executive Officer Chuck Harmison will be available to Sydney media for a brief media conference between 10:30am  11:00am tomorrow (Thursday 12 June) at the League offices in Mascot to make an announcement regarding the Sydney Kings.

Reply #189509 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Which will start with the words...

'We sincerely regret...'

Reply #189514 | Report this post

:-(  
Years ago

this is CRAZY!!!nbl without kings is like nba without celtics/lakers!!!how can a league operate like this!

Reply #189515 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Lets hope for the sake of the NBL that there is actually media in attendance.

Reply #189518 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You guys are clueless about what goes on here in Qld.
State of origin is league, not rugby.
Adam Tanner signed with the Breakers on the weekend and NOTHING about the Bullets has been decided.
Thanks for circulating your inaccurate and baseless declarations.... typical.

Reply #189560 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

So much for having a brother in the NBL and being in the know!
Pleez!
What a bunch of dickcheeses!

Reply #189564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A recent version of the NBL draw didn't have Brisbane in it. Whether they make it in remains to be seen.

Reply #189578 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's hardly wise to get into draws when there are clearly issues with two teams that are yet to be sorted within the allocated timeframe. Most people aren't interested in collecting various versions of draws until concrete decisions are made by people in a position to actually do so, rather than putting the cart before the horse- it's pretty senseless.

Reply #189579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The draft draws are being done by (or at the instruction of) the league you'd assume, and you'd hope they have some idea of what's going on.

Anything I've heard from Brisbane has suggested that there may be interest, but that a buyer would likely sit out the season. Same with Sydney.

Reply #189583 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Lets hope for the sake of the NBL that there is actually media in attendance.
Amen, brother! Watched Channel 9 news tonight, and at the very end of the sports segment there was a brief one-sentence mention that the Sydney Kings might lose their NBL licence, and that was it.

Reply #189586 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Major media release about 2 weeks after the olympics is my $5 bet.

Scrapping of the whole league as it is. A new league created by the remaining financial clubs and a move away from the BA controlled model. Probably only a short summer season and a move back to the dependable winter season.

Reply #189590 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Assume?
No thanks- that's how wires get crossed and it's the worst time to assume anything.
Like they say, when you assume, you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'

Reply #189617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We're making casual speculatory comments on a forum (based on information available), not making major business decisions. I think it's OK, to make a few assumptions here and there for the purpose of conversation and trying to guess which way things will go.

On the topic of the Bullets, Courier Mail says today that Sarina Russo says no.

I think, either way, the Bullets will sit out 08/09. You're welcome to disagree or provide any other rumours you've heard.

Reply #189620 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Reply #262476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754