Kent Brockman
Years ago

Players going legal to get into Olympics

A lot has been made of swimmer Nick Darcy alledgedly punching an ex swimmer in a night club and subsequently being dumped from the swim team.

Soccer player Danny Vukovic assaults a referee in a game and The Australian governing body makes an allowance for him to serve his suspension either side of the Olympics.

FIFA have now overruled the Australian decision and are not allowing the suspension to be served in 2 parts and thus stoppinghim from being at the Olympics.

What are people's thoughts on the way the 2 sports handle the situations?

For mine the situations should have been reversed. Darcy should be OK to go as it happened in a nightclub and not at an event where he was wearing the green and gold. Vokovic "hit" a ref during a televised game. IMO one action is more detrimental to the sprt than the other.

Topic #16097 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

IMO Vukavic's "Assault" on the ref was not worthy of the suspension he got. It wasnt malicious in any way. although referees should not be contacted like that, maybe he shoulda got 6 weeks or something, not 6 months or whatever the punishment was in the end.

D'Arcy (stupid name btw) shouldnt have been banned either...i dont see what sport and social lives have to do with each other and how does him punching someone "bring the sport into disrepute", all it does it make everyone think hes a tossa. If two AFL players or basketballers were to punch on at training, they would still both be playing that week.

Reply #189413 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Vukavic has touched a referee...I would happily accept a lifetime ban on ANY player who touches an official, to often we see officials being berated and harrassed and its time it stopped. In truth his punishement was on the light end for me and he should not be avaiable for the Olympics as it is within his punishment timeframe.

D'arcy is very different the man should be charged with assault and until he is brought before the courts and a finding is made he should be free to continue in his life...having said that,

i understand when you sign for swimming australia etc...you sign an agreement regarding your public behaviour and not bringing the association into disrepute...if thats the case..he has broken the terms of his employment..and they are within their rights to "sack" him.

Reply #189444 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

although he signed a contract stating that, he still didn't bring the sport into disrepute as the sport itself was not an element in the fight. if anything he should get a fine maybe from the swim team, but not kicked off the team. not to mention i think we want the best people at the games, not the people who come second, as i know i like winning. not to mention, unless the guy he hit claims assault then it shouldn't even be brought up at all with the olympics people, plus do we even know that darcy wasn't touched first? not really up to date with his case

Reply #189472 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

D'arcy should be able to go..

FFS, we took a Boxer who was on assault charges to the last Olympics just because he was a real good chance at a medal.

Why is this guy any different?

Reply #189490 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

6 months is not enough for stricking a ref yes it was a strike albeit a soft one

Reply #189516 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If D'Arcy was struck down with the choice of either "throwing a strike" or "defending myself, otherwise I may get pummelled and be too injured to swim at the olympics" then I'd warrant him staying in the team.

However, that wasn't the case and he ruined his shot. Tough love I guess.

Reply #189806 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754