Anonymous
Years ago

NH: 3G iPhone Released

Yesterday morning our time apple released the new iPhone 3G. Many people including myself have been holding off on buying one and waiting for the 3G version. Not only that but the new iPhones come with a new price tag. $199 for the 8 GB model and $299 for the 16 GB. When the iphone first came out the 8g non 3g iphone was $600. Feel very sorry for the poor soles who bout one for $600. Bring on August 11th! Anyone here looking to get or pissed off cause they already bout the old one for two or three times the price?

Topic #16105 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

its released on July 11th. and the $199 and $299 price havent been confirmed yet. That is the US price and may change. I hope this isnt the case as the quality of this phone at that price is insane.

Reply #189533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not too bothered - have had mine for quite a while and traded work for it rather than paid for it. Would be nice to have GPS. Or a cheap data plan (if anyone knows where to get one, let me know).

Will be interesting to see what plans are enforced or if they are easy to buy without a contract. In the US, they are still forcing buyers to take a 2-year plan through AT&T or O2 or whoever it is.

Reply #189537 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Voda are going to offer a pre-paid option.

Im on voda and have the $79 "cap" which gets me 550 credit. Every 5 minutes of data cost $1 out of that credit. No data transfer costs.

I predict the iphone will be the beginning of 'web 3.0'. Given that apple have a full SDK and an easy way to deploy 3rd party software (itunes), the applications will be AMAZING. Thing of the sort of social apps you can build when users have a portable, internet enabled GPS device.

Ill be getting one on the 11th :)

Reply #189539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait till JULY 11.

Reply #189540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, I heard that apple ceo said that $199 is the (maximum) price for all countries where the iphone is availiable.

Reply #189541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kad, IMO, data costs are too high for it to completely take off. I know someone that ran up $200-300 of data on his in the first week because he didn't realise he had to switch the data stuff off. If you leave the phone checking email every 15 minutes it chews the battery and racks up data.

Mobile apps might be small, but try hitting a few pages in Safari. Load a 500kb page (image heavy site plus a few ads) a few times and you've racked up a bit. Browse YouTube and you're screwed if you have a 5MB/month plan as some have.

The data charges based on time, is that per session (e.g., switch data transmission on, then off when finished)?

(Musing: $500/mo (assuming $50 lost to text/call) is about 40 hours of access - 1-2 hours/day.)

Reply #189546 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Email is fixed. Providers will 'push' mail to your iphone like they do with the blackberry. You wont need to start a 3g session to check mail.

Yep, 1-2 hrs is plenty when you think about it. Most of the time you are gunna want to use web will be when you are 'on the road' away from wired access. It has wifi, so when you are at home or the office, data is free(ish).

Was thinking about this alot yesterday. In the keynote Jobs said you would be able to 'push' apps out to people over wifi. I was thinking how awesome it would be to write a free app which you could push out to the crowd at a game (ie sixers) which basically gave you live boxscores. You could also allow people in the crowd to vote on man of the match :)

Reply #189549 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Oh and its based on every 5 minutes or part there of, so if you connect for 30 seconds to update twitter then disconnect, thats $1.

Reply #189551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac didn't you say that you can access safari through your home wireless modem and will therefore not cost anything?

Reply #189552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodaphone is offering hotmail, messenger and youtube for $10 a month. They also offer various TV packs each $8 and it says that there are no data charges which sound pretty good.

Reply #189554 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Have been hanging out for an increased capacity iphone for a while, now they go and release iphone 2.0 and it has everything except the only thing I want! Hopefully they'll release a 30gb version soon enough.

Pricing plans in the UK are great in comparison to what it sounds like in Australia. COntracts are 18 months and range in price from £30 a month to £90 a month. All plans have unlimited data download and depending on what plan you're on the 8gb version ranges from £99 to free. I'll likely get the £35 a month deal eventually which gives me 600 minutes of talk, 500 texts and unlimited internet, on top of this the handset will set me back £150 (I'm assuming the eventual 30gb will costs what 16gb does now) but I plan on selling my 80 ipod to counteract that inital outlay.

Reply #189558 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

OK - for a technology muppet such as myself (and a lazy one who cant really be bothered reading the specs and trying to understand them) help me out here...

I have an Ipod at home with all my music on it - used as the hub of the stereo set up. Now looking at a new Ipod to use mainly in the car but also when out and about.
Whats so good about the new Iphone? Is it worth waiting to get a new IPhone and using it as my phone and car ipod combined or just get a normal Ipod?

Reply #189561 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Statman

just get a Ferrari.

Reply #189567 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Statman, I reckon an iPhone would be your perfect solution, it's a fully functioning ipod so would be fine for music in the car and when you're out an about and it means you've got one less thing to carry.

The convenience alone is why I want one, but I'm sure it would come in handy having decent quality internet connection on the go. They've got GPS built in to them as well which could make a handy addition to an in car unit. They're also super sexy so you'll get all the fly honeys.

Reply #189574 | Report this post

iphonefan  
Years ago

Had my iphone for 6 months - bought it on ebay and cracked it - best 650 i ever spent. everything works great - love the knockers but this is the best technology released in a long time

Reply #189577 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

189552, yes, that's true. As long as it defers to wi-fi when that's available, that would work. Currently with Optus so will see what they offer for existing customers in July.

Reply #189581 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

phone will be available both as contracted phone and prepaid with optus not sure if voda will do the prepaid version yet.
The requirements apple are inforceing on optus and voda are crazy eg phone cannot be displayed within 1 square metre of another manufacturer, no confirmed pricing on plans yet (few prices suggested but not confirmed) but can say there is over 12000 pre ordered on the optus network as at close of business today and close to 7000 on the voda network and its increasing daily, the first stock in will be to pre orders only and then will be allocated there after with delays of upto 3 months expected for each dealer. going to the product launch next week so if i here any firm pricing i will pass it on if i can.

there will be two stores doing midnight releases . most likely to be optus at marion and voda at ttp the other stores will open at 6:30am for pre orders only.

Isaac when its released send me a email i can help you on the optus front. my current role would definetly assist current optus customers ;)

Reply #189585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just think iphone fan if u had waited 6months u could of saved $450

Reply #189587 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

DB5 - I tried that but the wait is terrible as apparently some internet guru from Adelaide has pre orders in for his next car and its blowing out delivery times ;)

Reply #189612 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I heard the iPhone is actually named after isaac. Made for hot cars and attracts hot babes

Reply #189655 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ha ha, understood Statman, sorry I thought I had the answer to all your problems there...

Reply #189661 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lockstock that makes a lot of sense..

3G must stand for the weekly fuel bill.

Reply #189663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

quick update pre orders for optus have now exceeded 20,000

Reply #189711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As long as it defers to wi-fi when that's available, that would work." - sorry but you tell me what that means, Isaac? Kind of a noob with some of this phone stuff.

Reply #189722 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Boys, I would trust thomo with his advice. (Now I have just revealed my identity to you, so now you know who I am!!)

I also work at Optus. AFAIK, this phone can not MMS (easily fixed with a patch) but the worst feature is that it has no bluetooth compatability for peer-to-peer sending of files. It only allows bluetooth for speaking (ie headsets etc).

ALSO, the $199 advertised in the US is false. it costs $199, but that is UPFRONT on a 24 month contract. So you can't simply buy the phone outright for that price. Expect something similar in Australia, Apple are so anal about it all.

Also, the phone will be locked to Optus or Vodafone. There is a 'leaked' Optus current plan doing the rounds right now...(looks like somethign optus would do).

As thomo said, any existing Optus customers are more than welcome to visit me on July 11th :)

Reply #189735 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

:)

Reply #189748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you buy from the US online store if u live in Aus?

Reply #189756 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No. Get it sent to a friend in the US and then posted over. Did that with the two I got.

Thomo/Libertine - what are the best plans around under Optus that include data? Anything that compares to what Kad mentioned?

Reply #189782 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just spotted this:

"As long as it defers to wi-fi when that's available, that would work." - sorry but you tell me what that means, Isaac? Kind of a noob with some of this phone stuff.
Let's say you can access a web site via 3G/EDGE or a friendly wi-fi connection (home, work, Internode in the city or airport, etc). You'd want it to automatically prioritise wi-fi when it's available instead of picking 3G/EDGE (which will be slower and more expensive). If that were the case, you'd only be using the more expensive data when you were checking the weather in the car on the way to work, looking up a restaurant phone number on the net while you're out and about, etc.

Reply #189783 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

data with the iphone is NOT included by either carrier in there current plans, what voda offer is for use with assisted-gps usage and vodanow browsing, at this point NO vodalive or optus zoo will be on the handsets as it doesnt comply with the apple standards of operations. saying that things can change,

apple are pretty adminet that a certain amount of data, has to be inlcuded in plans selling the iphone.

some of the data options being banted around (by apple) are crazy at the least, remember apple demand a % of all data charges to go to them as part of the license agreement to be able to sell the iphone.

cant say much more on the iphone data plans. what i can say though is the business customers will see some pretty impressive data deals but consumers customers will more then likely get the raw deal intially as apple demands at launch are huge.

and libertine i think i know who you are now. will ring tommorw :)

Reply #189786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Optus have a $79 blackberry plan which include $300 calls, text and more and also includes unlimited internet and email. Something similar could come out for the iphone, we'll just have to wait and see what exactly unfolds.

For you other guys that are optus here, did any of you go to the roadshow last week?

Reply #189787 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

and yes no file/music/video/ringtone/photo transferring can be done via bluetooth, due to Apple/Itunes legal requirements NO data can be transfered from the phone to another phone/computer/pda via bluetooth.

it only has H/Free blue tooth compatability

and at this point there is no MMS/PXT support. and even the "patch" around the traps does not guarantee it will work it only opens it up for a chance of working.

Reply #189788 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

certainly did go to the road show, those bloody berets
got a box full of em still

Reply #189789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, the beret idea was gold. Had such a good time at the roadshow too. Even got up on stage ;) but only got a LG KU380 out of it :( all in all was a good night with lots of good freebies and previews at what's to come.

Reply #189790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No. Get it sent to a friend in the US and then posted over." - That sucks, don't know anyone is the US.

Reply #189948 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

You were on stage next to me bro! I got the laptop!

Reply #189971 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

what did you do with the lappy chief, tried ringing you as well, u working monday ?

if so ring me got a contact in the sols dep regarding the iphone

Reply #189973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, serious Libertine?! Thats pretty hilarious. Good job on winning the laptop... I still think I should've won ;) or at least gotten the blackberry.

So Thomo, what abouts do you do if you don't mind me asking?

And what shop are you from Libertine?

Reply #189984 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

thomo, I'm not in Monday, but geez wouldn't mind that contact!!!!!

I work on the Parade. Always see alot of basketball people coming in the store !

Reply #190092 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

as at today, 3pm all pre ordering of the iphone has stopped as all phone have now been accounted for 50,000 phones preordere in over a week,

optus are no longer taking deposits for pre orders as there will not be enough stock on release day

Reply #190206 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

liber you workin tommorow, if so give me ring i have the good goss for you ;)

Reply #190508 | Report this post

Mr X  
Years ago

God damn you guys, I want in on this goss :P

Have you guys done the training and stuff for it yet? Going to a training session next week?

Reply #190734 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Screw your iPhone, this is the baby I'm waiting for.....http://linky.com.au/bmle2

Reply #190740 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Damn.......Try Again.

http://linky.com.au/eff9m

Reply #190741 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DICKO, next time, change the bit between the tags not within the first tag. So it would be:

<a href="http://linky.com.au/eff9m" target="_blank">Blackberry blah blah</a>

Reply #190748 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

personally im waiting for the blackberry bold, or mite hang out for the blackberry kikstart

Reply #190881 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

bold is july 27th dicko

Reply #190882 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Screw them both. Im hanging for the N96.
http://linky.com.au/jl1da

Reply #190885 | Report this post

Mr X  
Years ago

Yes skip I must say the N96 is a very nice device. Had a play with one at the Optus Roadshow the other week. It's a little wider than the N95 but a lot slimmer. Very nice phone indeed.

Reply #190886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754