I want my MTV
Years ago

NH: Buying a TV

I am in the market for a new TV. I really have no idea what is best. I think I am leaning towards LCD but not sure. Looking at 46 - 52 inch. Would only really use it for FTA and a movie every now and then.

Anyone know what I should be looking for and things and/or brands to avoid? Am I likely to notive the difference between a top of the range and a superseded model?

Topic #16107 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I've got LG's 42" LCD (model: 42LC2DR) with the in-built tuner and hard-drive recorder - year or so old now. Paid about $3k at the time, but it'd be under $2,500 by now. Would definitely buy again. I don't watch much TV and didn't think I'd use the recorder, but it's worth it - schedule recordings and then sit down at any point to see what's on the drive that's worth watching. Also use the pause/rewind "live TV" function quite a bit.

Reply #189584 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Samsung LCD 40" in built tuner.
Dosn't have the inbuilt hard drive for recording.
Great buy. Stick to the known brands and you wont go too far wrong.
There are some cheap ones Conia etc but you can noticably see the difference.

Have a good look at a 52" in store at the distance u would be sitting watching it before buying as a oversized tv for the room/viewing distance can turn out to be a horrible experience!

Most regular lounge rooms wont need much more than a 40/42"

And double check that you have enough inputs for everything you want to plug in.
VCR (Do they still exist?), Stereo, DVD player/Recorder, Gaming Consoles etc.

Reply #189605 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

I have a 50 inch plasma great experience, all those cables can be cut by one or two optic fibre cables. When buying we had great assistance. The salesman said if you go for 40/42 inch LCD preferred if you go to the 50 inch go plasma.Both are not cheap on electricity also you can get screen burn form logo eg channel 7 or 9 if on for extended periods for plasma. Believe me it is an experience shopping around for big tv's good luck. The Vierra are good you know Matt Shirvington. The are just building a new 60 inch bully Plasma I believe it will be called the Mark Worthington or Russell Hinder models. Or their is the small soft model called the Daniel Joyce

Reply #189610 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Check out the following webforum - its got answers to pretty much every question imaginable

http://linky.com.au/e9uff

Asdk lots of questions in store and shop around - some huge saving to be made if you look hard enough.

Reply #189614 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Best way to go in that instance would be to purchase a surround system that allows integration of all those features.

While I'm still shopping for a Flatscreen to top off the collection; I went out 2 years ago to buy a Yahama Entertainment system for about $900.00; now I have my TV, Foxtel, Combo DVD/VCR, PS3, Wii, PC and Stereo all hooked up to the 1 unit with 7.1 surround.

If you can scab a flat screen for about $1200 and a decent surround unit for another 1k, you're cheerin'

Reply #189616 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Make sure the size of the screen is sufficient for the size of the room. The optimum viewing distance for a 40/42" is 3.5 metres. If you viewing area is greater than this you can go bigger.

Ensure the contrast level is greater than 10000:1.

HD baby.

Make sure the TV has enough inputs for all your components.

Make sure the TV has an inbuilt tuner otherwise you will need a set top box.

You can also visit the Choice website and see the comparisons they have made with all the TVs. They also have best choices for price ranges.

Reply #189618 | Report this post

If it's within your budget I couldn't recomment the F series Samsung highly enough.

I have the full HD 46 inch LCD and the picture quality is amazing. I did side by side comparisons with a few other TV's (including the X and XBR series Bravias) and IMHO the Samsung was a whole level ahead.

Also, if you have a PS3 the game mode is fantastic.

The RRP is about $4k though...

Luckily I managed to get it for $3200 :)

Reply #189656 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

I just bought the LCD Sony Bravia with 100 hertz this is very important when watching sport otherwise you get blurs. Its full hd as well, its bloody brillant~

Reply #189658 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

I have a 42" LG HD LCD Screen. Just purchased. Can someone explain how I can record TV still on my VCR or am I living in the past and trying to hope that I will not need to spend anymore money.

Reply #189659 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that LG also do a 47 inch Full HD LCD for about $2700 at Harvey's which is pretty good value.

Reply #189679 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

"VCR" ?.. (runs off to an online dictionary)
;-)

Reply #189681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont buy plasmas as they are old technology. i have a 52"plasma and a 19"lcd and they lcd is far better then the plasma. If you are going to be playing games go samsung as they are built for gaming. also look for one with anti burn, on my lcd if nothing is moving on the screen for 3minutes the tv will switch off. if your not into gaming then brand doesnt really matter as only samsung and panasonic make screens. just have a look at what looks best to you.

Reply #189736 | Report this post

Help Mal  
Years ago

If you want a screen 42 inch and under buy a LCD or if you want over 42 inch buy a plasma. This is the information I have been given by lots of techs and Major brands sales managers.
There are only 2 or 3 main manufactures of LCD and Plasmas. LG, Samsung and Panasonic. I have seen many better models carry LG Screens and major parts.

Reply #189738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lg dont make screens its only samsung and panasonic. i wouldnt touch lg as they have the crapiest after sale service goin around.

Reply #189769 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754