the_champ33
Years ago

NBL terminates Sydney Kings' licence

Kings slammed, dunked and dethroned

June 12, 2008 EMBATTLED Sydney Kings have been stripped of their NBL licence for failing to meet overdue player payments.

"The termination of the team's licence is the most extreme action the league can take when a club is placed in default, but in the current circumstances it was quite simply the only course available to us," NBL chief executive Chuck Harmison said in a statement.

Harmison said club owner Tim Johnston had failed to pay outstanding money owed to players by Wednesday's 5pm deadline.

The licence will now be returned to the NBL office.

More to come

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23851543-23769,00.html

Topic #16115 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Article on the NBL site with a bit more info.

From 10,000 people at a game in the grand final series, to gone. Nice work, owner.

Reply #189644 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

What a foolish business decision by the owner not to pay the bills. The first goal is to protect and grow your investment. If you are running a business and have to make certain payments to stay in business, you make sure you pay them. Now, their investment they put into the licence is worth zip.

Reply #189645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be hilarious if this happens and they won the championship last season

Reply #189646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos next ????

Reply #189648 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

What will happen with Saville, Hinder, Crosswhite, Tovey, Carter and Kendall?

Reply #189650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there needs to be much more stringent criteria for potential buyers to buy a club and key criteria that they need to meet on a regular basis.
the fact that the league is stuffed in so many ways and trying to fix one problem leads you down into a wormhole doesn't help- as long as someone cashed up (at the time) comes in to offer to buy a club, that seems to be enough to satisfy the nbl with limited vision and foresight for how things could end up.
how embarassing.
i've never been a kings fan as such- although i did prefer to see them win the championship over the tigers, but today is a sad, sad day.
what is the league prepared to learn from this?
there is a lot of responsibility they must take also.

Reply #189652 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Hang on a minute it is not just the Kings that have been hurt by the same person

from what i can recall Firepower have damaged

Western Force
Tasman Motorsport and
South Sydney

So there are some pretty savvy business people that have also been blindsided by Firepower promises

Reply #189654 | Report this post

Grote 13  
Years ago

No Kings = No FOX Contract IMO

Reply #189662 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

They'll be back. Probably the following season as a re-package.

Reply #189665 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

I agree about the Fox contract too. Now that will be something that really hurts this great game in Australia.

Reply #189667 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah definitely won't get a foxtel contract now. How many Sydney games did they used to show! It was their main market. The League will also struggle to get a Major Sponsor now as well, with no presence in Sydney or Brisbane who would want to sponsor it?

Reply #189676 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Major sponsors may want to take up the vacated license instead of sponsoring the NBL directly.

Might need to look for sponsors to replace those that move on.

Reply #189682 | Report this post

New  
Years ago

Fox have already decided not the cover the games, this was said prior to the Kings folding.

They may cover the finals though.

How do I know this? A friend of Steve Carfinos told me that FOX told Steve he wouldnt have a job next season.

Reply #189684 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

http://linky.com.au/y6l50
I wonder if anyone had already joined on up? and if so, whether they would have any trouble getting their money back?

Reply #189686 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I think we could just look back on this day as the day that the NBL died. Sure, we may have a season this year/into 2009, but after that, with no Sydney or Brisbane franchises, there will be no sponsorship, no Fox Sports deal, and therefore, the NBL as we know it will cease to exist.

The only thing that can save basketball in this country is some savvy business decisions and the gamble that a new and improved league from the ground up can be sustainable. Led by proven individuals.

This is a time when owners of teams should be fighting to build championship contenders, not fighting off extinction and creditors.

Basketball enjoys a solid grass-roots representation in Australia, but has traditionally struggled to attract general interest at the highest level. Whoever can solve that riddle will hold the key to a national competetition in this country.

Reply #189688 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

I think the main reason MW has not got the ownership prior to there expulsion of FP license, would be that he would have had to take on their Debt to do it.
Any debt would considerably kill off the revamped entity.

MW then would of wanted to restart afresh, with new Backers and Sponsors, which coul not happen with out the license being pulled.

The ball is now in the court of any new Consortium to provide a plan and surity to the NBL Board.

Timing would be critical if 2008/9 season was targeted, days not weeks.

Brisbane is next on this merrygo round.

But has until end of June I think.

Reply #189691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think MW could've got the licence from TJ without the debt, but needed NBL approval to do it and they wouldn't approve it without a plan, and wanted a plan that involved Sydney playing through this season.

Reply #189693 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Of course, if MW did get the license from TJ, what would have happened to GQ? NBL HQ would have been KD, MS would have gone AWOL, BA would be OOO, and IF's site wouldn't get as much traffic. Just some BS, IMO

Reply #189698 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

OMFG!

Reply #189703 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Bye Bye NBL.

Reply #189708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chuck Harmison would have to be the most pathetic CEO in sports history! He should hang his head in shame. Under his administration, the league has seen dwindling crowds, sponsors and viewing rights.

CH, be done wiyth it and please, for the love of the game, resign!

Reply #189709 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

I think Rick whatever his name is as much to blame. Chuck took on the role in a tempoary role but seems to have stayed. But realistically the game has been in decline for over a decade. The Australian sporting market is already full and with new soccer and netball leauges there just isn't enough sponshorship and support to go around.

I just think the NBL has to accept that it is a marginal sport on the Aussie sporting landscape

Reply #189712 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair, Eddy Groves lost buckets of money and Tim Johnston's enterprise went up in a puff of smoke - what can Chuck do about that?

Reply #189713 | Report this post

New  
Years ago

Isaac,

How about not letting teams blow their salary caps.

The teams that have cheated to win a championship are gone now.

In a recent interview Eddy Groves said he bought a championship back to Brisbane. He was spot on, in other words he should of said I paid for a championship.

The first steps to correcting this mess is as follows:

* Change back to winter or at least June - December

* Owners of NBL clubs should not be in charge of running the league, get an independant body in.

* Either have a salary cap that is policed or don't have one at all.

* Start the league from scratch, keep big teams like 36ers, Wildcats, Tigers. Have one team from each area, like one between the cairns and townsville cities.

It should be:

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne
Sydney
Brisbane
Far North Queensland
Darwin
NZ

Maybe Tassie, maybe Gold Coast

Reply #189719 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

New - So do you believe they were the only 2 clubs to blow the cap?

You dont believe 2008 Champs Melbourne might have as well?

Reply #189720 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

and lets not over look our own backyard in years past

Reply #189726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there's a team that hasn't significantly blown the cap at some point, and it's more a case of clubs only not doing it when they simply can't. Given the resources, they all do it.

Reply #189727 | Report this post

cable-guy  
Years ago

rumour going around but no sources are stating that foxtel wont take the nbl season this year... but channel 9 have got the rights. a little bit intersting

Reply #189754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OLD rumour cable-guy. hopefully we see more FTA coverage. As boti says, stuff foxtel teams need to negotiate with their local fta stations. If the nbl managed to make a deal with nine it should be able to be done...with any luck.

Reply #189760 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Mookie is right, it was Rick Burton who took the league down this dead-end road. He was looking too much toward expanding into Asia, and not enough into keeping affairs in order in the local backyard. Why look for a lucrative Cable TV contract in Asia when you can't even get a FTA deal at home? What made him think the product could fill stadiums in Asia when half the crowd at Sydney's games were Goorj's assistant coaches? Get the league stable, get the product right, get the local interest and the local exposure, get the finances right, *then* launch into expansion from a solid foundation.

Reply #189763 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

No FTA station wants basketball, Basketball doesn't rate, so it will never get FTA coverage. How is it Ricks fault the Kings owner was a bad egg, how did he know Eddie would loose most his money? Its no good blaming who took over a sinking ship in the first place.

Sydney in general just doesn't care about the Kings or basketball. While the Kings story is big news on foxsports.com on the daily telegraph web site, its not on the main page, its half way down the sports section under 'other sports'.

Reply #189777 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

The 13 month turnaround from this article:
http://sportsaustralia.com/articles/news.php?id=1296

"Tim has grand plans to make the Sydney Kings one of the premier basketball clubs in the world  a truly global club. The management, players and fans are excited by this prospect."

NBL Commissioner Rick Burton welcomed the transfer and said Johnston had already demonstrated his strong commitment to the Kings.

"He is the chairman of a highly successful group of companies and the information he provided to my office more than satisfied all the stringent requirements the NBL places on individuals wishing to become majority team owners."

Reply #189792 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Article in today's Herald Sun in Melbourne from the players perspective:

http://linky.com.au/aagpc

Reply #189796 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Adding to the Herald-Sun, this is what The Age has to say, with some candid respsonses from Hinder and Carter:

http://linky.com.au/dii63

Reply #189797 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

After reading those reports; half the problem was there was all talk and no action. Nothing was actually proofed with talks about the salvation of the Kings license.

You have more than a dozen people who shouldn't have been re-hired at all; not because they're bad or anything along those lines, but because you've now stringed all of them along for so long that you've completely screwed up their lives.

I think that shows how poorly the league is being run and how lighthanded the dealings have been.

While I'm not a Kings fan, its sucks when rivals dip out; rivalries make leagues what they are. Shame the Sydney government aren't keen on jumping in.

Reply #189802 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

NBL would of been hamstrung leagaly, acting before it did.

I think the Coaches/Players have to realise that they are making $ from the NBL System, but its there ability to draw $ into the NBL Clubs that should be the starting points of $ paid for players.

Clubs (Compamies) need to show restraint at spending $ they don't have.

NBL has to police the Cap and each player should sign a declaration that they are not getting above salary cap policies and be subject to ATO audits etc etc.

Sport, unless sponsored by Benefactors who cover the losses or have Big Sponsorship TV deals, will loose $.

Its the Nature of the Beast.

Reply #189814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HEADLINE: "How the Violets have Crumbled!"

Reply #189816 | Report this post

gus  
Years ago

NBL struggles for credibility in the broader market - not to have a Sydney team in the NBL is like the NBA without the Lakers....NRL without St George or Parramatta, and the AFL without Collingwood.

I have been to every sport known to man, and almost everywhere. When you have 10,000 in the Ent Centre and the Kings firing - there is no better atmosphere anywhere.

The Kings definetely lost their way. Game Night at the Ent Cent had become so steril this season (and for the last few years), with such little razamataz I felt like I was at a Snr Citizens event. The Kings, if they rtn, should consider a rebrand around the original Opera Hs logo, and base the look and feel of the Kings brand on the Lakers - more yellow then purple - what man wears purple!

The package on game night would need work if the kings amazingly reappear:

- Pack what crowd is there in close - spreading 5000 people in a 10000 seat arena = bad atmosphere, just like a dogs game at ANZ stadium;
- Repaint Court without Purple - as per Lakers. NBL and Kings need to think about consistent placement of branding, sponsorship logo's etc to present national synergies;
- Consistent Camera angles for Coverage by Fox, mindful not to display half empty arena's where possible;
- A replay screen is essential, regardless of whether game covered by TV - preferably above the court - this is likely expenseive but really adds to the game night experience and bring punters in to see 'something different'
- FOX commentators need to suit up - they look like hobo's
- Introduce players with lights off, fireworks, spot light
- Bring back blimp
- Song selection for music players needs to rtn to the basketball basicis and crowd favourites - get the crowd into the atmosphere;
- Music and court annoucements this season too quiet and sometimes unable to be understood;
- If you are going to have dancing girld, you cant have 6 - there needs to be done, or heaps. 6 girls dancing on a court is just lame
- National Anthem is essential at all games
- crowd to stand/clap til Kings first basket
- Legitimate on-line clothing web site, and options - as per Sydney FC;
- Fan section of web site to include updated screensavers, wallpapers etc - these are kings advertisements in city offices
- Retro kings yellow button up collar players training shirt recently sold for over $40 on ebay - it was such a cool shirt versus the stuff that is produced now;
- Advertising........if only someone had the $$$

The overall thing to remember is that small detail on game night, and in coverage, all goes to present and more impressive offer to those watching on TV.... Make that offer attractive enough, and punters will get off the couch and into the Ent Cent for a game - just like they did for game 5!

Reply #190004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754