Anonymous
Years ago

NBL "A-League" Theory

Lots of people are saying lets start from scratch with an a-league like competition but who are you going to cut?

West Sydney - yes,make one sydney team
Sydney - (see west sydney)

BUT THEN

Adelaide - no
Perth - no
Melbourne - no
South - no
Cairns - no, basketball is thriving in FNQ and cairns and townsville should each have a team.
Townsville - No, (see cairns)
NZ - no, doing reasonably well and adds international flavour
Singapore - finally make huge strides and should do very well
Wollongong - maybe, not sure
Brisbane - needs a team and should be able to support one with a non bankrupt owner
Gold Coast - basketball and sport in general is thriving on the GC.

I think what the league needs is some marking (AT LEAST SOMETHING!) and publicity, more promotion, new CEO, not a stand in incompetent guy but someone who will take action, and a board overhaul. Indipendant body instead of represenative from each team. Winter season is another possiblitiy. And finally some proper FTA!

Topic #16121 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #189755 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

would be nice, i just want a league. id hate to think the best quality basketball i can watch live is abl.

Reply #189772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as much as i hate mark cuban (owner of dallas mavaricks)....we NEED guys like that running NBL (from team owner to league CEO)!!!Somebody who's a fan, knows about the game and actually cares and tries enough to keep things going straight...

Reply #189773 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Actually, what we need to do is what the A-League did when they launched, and what the netball league is doing right now:

PUT SOME DECENT ADS ON THE TV!!! And on billboards, and on the side of busses, and in the newspapers. Create some sort of a buzz. We were a growing sport once, the next big thing, but we were riding Michael Jordan's world-wide marketing juggernaut. This league has to put in the hard yards to market itself, not just sit back and expect it to happen.

Reply #189778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

as much as i hate mark cuban (owner of dallas mavaricks)....we NEED guys like that running NBL (from team owner to league CEO)!!!Somebody who's a fan, knows about the game and actually cares and tries enough to keep things going straight...
And, most importantly, who has a billion dollars.

Have mentioned it on here before, but I emailed Cuban once to see if he wanted to buy the 36ers. He replied within about five minutes and said his best advice was to not buy a basketball team. So far I have taken that advice. ;)

Reply #189785 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

we could still use MJ as some sort of media attraction. have on good word that there is to be a Jordan store opening up in melbourne some time soon hopefully, and MJ will be there to launch it. why not get him, or someone who can create some buzz to help promote a new league over here.

Reply #189794 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

You don't need to "CAN" any teams when re-creating a league. The whole point of a re-release of a league is to advertise and promote the league as if it was the first ever league game in the country.

The soccer was only gone for one year and they simply re-packaged exactly the same teams but jazzed up the names and ran heavy advertising and IT WORKED.

The only way a "A-League" for basketball would work is if there is at least 1 year where ball isn't played and then gets brought back anew the following year. People actually have to forget about the sport so when it comes back, there's more "shock n' awe" value to it.

A few billionaires would be nice to fund it, it would also be best if a few more ball players were actually arranging things. Especially if you have a few ex-NBA players whom can advise on protocols etc. while playing for other leagues.

Reply #189799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u must cut teams otherwise we will have the same mediocre salary caps attracting the same mediocre players with the same mediocre talent pull spread across a rediculus amount of teams!!!!!! bring in the marquee player rule to help with publicity cut it back to 10 teams and try and bring back some big names guys like neilsen etc even guys that cant get nba gigs who are borderline see guys like maybe byron russell ron mercer jalen rose imagine the hype with someone like that, less teams so there is more money to go around to the teams that remain

Reply #189841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yah the money's important but you gotta know about the game and have the love for it to do well!

Reply #189852 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

i plan to travel the world and research what needs doing to improve the league, i will return and save the league.

Reply #189972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754