NBL struggles for credibility in the broader market - not to have a Sydney team in the NBL is like the NBA without the Lakers....NRL without St George or Parramatta, and the AFL without Collingwood.
I have been to every sport known to man, and almost everywhere. When you have 10,000 in the Ent Centre and the Kings firing - there is no better atmosphere anywhere.
The Kings definetely lost their way. Game Night at the Ent Cent had become so steril this season (and for the last few years), with such little razamataz I felt like I was at a Snr Citizens event. The Kings, if they rtn, should consider a rebrand around the original Opera Hs logo, and base the look and feel of the Kings brand on the Lakers - more yellow then purple - what man wears purple!
The package on game night would need work if the kings amazingly reappear:
- Pack what crowd is there in close - spreading 5000 people in a 10000 seat arena = bad atmosphere, just like a dogs game at ANZ stadium;
- Repaint Court without Purple - as per Lakers. NBL and Kings need to think about consistent placement of branding, sponsorship logo's etc to present national synergies;
- Consistent Camera angles for Coverage by Fox, mindful not to display half empty arena's where possible;
- A replay screen is essential, regardless of whether game covered by TV - preferably above the court - this is likely expenseive but really adds to the game night experience and bring punters in to see 'something different'
- FOX commentators need to suit up - they look like hobo's
- Introduce players with lights off, fireworks, spot light
- Bring back blimp
- Song selection for music players needs to rtn to the basketball basicis and crowd favourites - get the crowd into the atmosphere;
- Music and court annoucements this season too quiet and sometimes unable to be understood;
- If you are going to have dancing girld, you cant have 6 - there needs to be none, or heaps. 6 girls dancing on a court is just lame
- National Anthem is essential at all games
- crowd to stand/clap til Kings first basket
- Legitimate on-line clothing web site, and options - as per Sydney FC;
- Fan section of web site to include updated screensavers, wallpapers etc - these are kings advertisements in city offices
- Retro kings yellow button up collar players training shirt recently sold for over $40 on ebay - it was such a cool shirt versus the stuff that is produced now;
- Advertising........if only someone had the $$$
The overall thing to remember is that small detail on game night, and in coverage, all goes to present and more impressive offer to those watching on TV.... Make that offer attractive enough, and punters will get off the couch and into the Ent Cent for a game - just like they did for game 5!