Nick
Years ago

White knight could rescue Kings

"A MYSTERY cashed-up Sydney sporting identity has emerged as a potential long-shot saviour looking to resurrect the Kings in time for the 2008-09 NBL season. The possible white knight contacted court-appointed liquidator Nicholas Crouch on Friday morning as he sorted through the Kings' meagre assets the day after the NBL terminated Tim Johnston's licence.
However, the liquidator is also planning a charity game if the club does die, involving former and current Kings players and celebrities to help cover unpaid superannuation and give loyal Sydney fans a chance to say goodbye to the team."

Very interesting. Even though I hate the Kings I REALLY want them to survive so lets hope this works out. I don't have my hopes high though but you never know.

Topic #16138 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23860775-23769,00.html.

Reply #190019 | Report this post

gus  
Years ago

NBL struggles for credibility in the broader market - not to have a Sydney team in the NBL is like the NBA without the Lakers....NRL without St George or Parramatta, and the AFL without Collingwood.

I have been to every sport known to man, and almost everywhere. When you have 10,000 in the Ent Centre and the Kings firing - there is no better atmosphere anywhere.

The Kings definetely lost their way. Game Night at the Ent Cent had become so steril this season (and for the last few years), with such little razamataz I felt like I was at a Snr Citizens event. The Kings, if they rtn, should consider a rebrand around the original Opera Hs logo, and base the look and feel of the Kings brand on the Lakers - more yellow then purple - what man wears purple!

The package on game night would need work if the kings amazingly reappear:

- Pack what crowd is there in close - spreading 5000 people in a 10000 seat arena = bad atmosphere, just like a dogs game at ANZ stadium;
- Repaint Court without Purple - as per Lakers. NBL and Kings need to think about consistent placement of branding, sponsorship logo's etc to present national synergies;
- Consistent Camera angles for Coverage by Fox, mindful not to display half empty arena's where possible;
- A replay screen is essential, regardless of whether game covered by TV - preferably above the court - this is likely expenseive but really adds to the game night experience and bring punters in to see 'something different'
- FOX commentators need to suit up - they look like hobo's
- Introduce players with lights off, fireworks, spot light
- Bring back blimp
- Song selection for music players needs to rtn to the basketball basicis and crowd favourites - get the crowd into the atmosphere;
- Music and court annoucements this season too quiet and sometimes unable to be understood;
- If you are going to have dancing girld, you cant have 6 - there needs to be none, or heaps. 6 girls dancing on a court is just lame
- National Anthem is essential at all games
- crowd to stand/clap til Kings first basket
- Legitimate on-line clothing web site, and options - as per Sydney FC;
- Fan section of web site to include updated screensavers, wallpapers etc - these are kings advertisements in city offices
- Retro kings yellow button up collar players training shirt recently sold for over $40 on ebay - it was such a cool shirt versus the stuff that is produced now;
- Advertising........if only someone had the $$$

The overall thing to remember is that small detail on game night, and in coverage, all goes to present and more impressive offer to those watching on TV.... Make that offer attractive enough, and punters will get off the couch and into the Ent Cent for a game - just like they did for game 5!

Reply #190020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I have been to every sport known to man, and almost everywhere. When you have 10,000 in the Ent Centre and the Kings firing - there is no better atmosphere anywhere."

Your forgetting a little placed called a sold out powerhouse (dome) my friend. NOTHING beats that.

Reply #190022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was this apparent white knight during the weeks where it was widely publicised that they were tipped to fold?
The Kings have indeed folded now (at this point in time) so is this just another doofus trying to use the publicity in the public eye like what has been happening in Brisbane?
It's a little late and stupid to have a white knight 3 days after they folded- it looks stupid and disorganised if a club folds... for 3 DAYS....

Reply #190053 | Report this post

gus  
Years ago

powerhouse.......been there a couple of time....sorry, there are several better basketball atmosphere's around australia between Sydney and Adelaide...

Reply #190079 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

maybe this 'white knight' stood to the side so that he can get a better price on the team, or even more backing, makes some sense really when you think about it.
why is it so important to have a sydney team though? everyone is saying that without sydney the league is going to fall so hard, blah blah blah... are we forgetting that they don't make any profit for a reason, that being no real fans left anymore, it obviously would make no massive difference if they exist or not... if anything Adelaide going under would be a HUGE lose for the league along with the Tigers, or even Gold Coast at this point

Reply #190081 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

The reason we need a Sydney team is because without a team in our country's biggest market, no sponsors will want to come near the league, the same for any TV deals. It's already been said that without Sydney, the league probably will lose it's major sponsor and Fox deal, equaling $1.6 million per year.

Reply #190178 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

"if anything Adelaide going under would be a HUGE lose for the league "

What a joke! Thanks that has brightened up my day.

Reply #190179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

twenty four, the Hummer deal will be more seriously impacted (IMO) by the strength of their operations here and in the US (rising fuel prices). Fox will likely continue (again, IMO) but may not pay much for the privilege. But you're right, losing two teams in major markets will have an impact.

Reply #190181 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Gus, you completely lost me when you used the word "Synergies"....are you in management or (worse still) marketing?

Reply #190191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754