Years ago

NH - WWE SmackDown/ECW Live at Ent Centre

WWE SmackDown/ECW Live at Adelaide Entertainment Centre

Did anyone go last night?

I've been a wrestling fan for a long time, but this is the first show I went to. I had a great time and really enjoyed it. I had better seats than I thought I did as well, because they ended up being a lot closer to the ring than they looked on the seating plan when I bought them. I felt for the people who were probably 2 metres in front of me, yet payed $350, when I had just as good a view for $150. Anyway, what probably would have been fairly basic matches to see on television were made much more exciting by actually being there.

It was a nice suprise for a lot of people to see The Undertaker back as well. I've read around the Internets that he's due back on television soon anyway, but it was good to see a legend of the game perform in Adelaide.

I wanted to get a CM Punk t-shirt, but they sold out before the show even started :-( Still, didn't matter too much, because I had a great time anyway

Anyway, for anyone who went, how did you find it?

Topic #16144 | Report this topic

Years ago

Oh yea, just another thing to add - Spotted Graham Cornes in one of the rows in front of me. I think he was there with his daughter. He looked like he was having a laugh and enjoying himself. Interesting to see well-known Adelaide identities have a good time at the wrestling too :-D

Reply #190057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which weretlers were there?

Reply #190060 | Report this post

Years ago

There were nine matches in all:

Kofi Kingston vs. Shelton Benjamin
- Winner: Kofi Kingston by Pinfall

WWE Tag Team Championship - John Morrison & The Miz (C) vs. Jamie Noble & Shannon Moore
- Winners: John Morrison & The Miz by Pinfall

Chavo Guerrero (w/ Bam Neely) vs. CM Punk
- Winner: CM Punk by Pinfall

Victoria & Natalya vs. Michelle McCool & Kelly Kelly
- Winners: Michelle McCool & Kelly Kelly by Submission

Finlay (w/ Hornswoggle) vs. The Great Khali
- Winner: Finlay by Pinfall

(Intermission)

WWE United States Championship - Matt Hardy (C) vs. Chuck Palumbo
- Winner: Matt Hardy by Pinfall

MVP & Mark Henry vs. Kane & The Undertaker
- Winners: Kane & The Undertaker by Pinfall

Funaki vs. Vladimir Kozlov
- Winner: Vladimir Kozlov by Pinfall

World Heavyweight Championship - Edge (C) vs. Batista
- Winner: Batista by Disqualification

Reply #190062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What crazy shit did kane do?

He's a scary ass dude.

Reply #190063 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

What were the highlights? Any crazy things attempted? Is Khali really that big?

Reply #190064 | Report this post

Years ago

Khali is massive, as is Mark Henry. Kane's pyro (like everyone elses) was REALLY loud.

Most of the matches were pretty standard 'good guys' vs. 'bad guys' (face vs. heel) affairs. The 'bad guys' worked worked the crowd pretty well, and got some good heat (both Khali and Edge got "You're a wanker!" chants :-D). The 'good guys' were pretty popular and were cheered well too. I reckon most of the matches would have been pretty average to see on television, but being there and feeling the energy of the crowd (who were all really into it all night) made it much more exciting.

Reply #190065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know how many tickets sold?

Reply #190066 | Report this post

Years ago

The place was about 95% full I'd say, and they put extra seating around on the floor for wrestling, so I'm not sure how many were there, but it was a very good turnout.

Reply #190067 | Report this post

Years ago

In fact, it was probably more than 95% full. There were a few empty seats here and there, but most areas were full as far as I can see.

Reply #190068 | Report this post

OG Loc  
Years ago

There were approx 10,000 in attendance.

Reply #190070 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Whats pinfall? Is that where everyone is so quiet you can hear a pin fall (drop).......

Reply #190078 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

didn't end up going on the night... but got to meet few of them during the day (mates worked as their 'bodyguards')... taker isn't as tall as you would think, but shoulders as wider then the titanic, same with kane... both guys actually heaps nice in person, not to mention takers wife is hot... gotta say that meeting that kelly kelly chick was a riot, so damn funny, not to mention alright on the eye... from what i heard there was less than 400 seats available or something???

Reply #190080 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I went overnight to the event. My first time attending in person considering they've visited Adelaide before. I enjoyed myself, but found I had to stand a lot as the people in front did so a lot causing me blindness and having to stand in return.

The matches were great in person + throw in the crowd's passion. Top atmosphere. Would be average on television especially since they were basic matches.

Shame there wasn't bigger fight scenariors such as hell in a cell, cage, hardcore, TLC etc.

Would have been cool to meet all those blokes in person, but I didn't.

I'm sure I spotted Graham Cornes during the interval as he took one of his daugthers. Confirmed it on the radio Thursday night.

Good to wear my Knicks gear out last night

Reply #190088 | Report this post

Years ago

I'm pretty sure The Undertaker is divorced, and is currently just dating Michelle McCool. His previous wife wasn't all that attractive IMO. Michelle McCool isn't really my type, but I can see how others find her attractive.

A pinfall is when one person pins the others shoulders to the mat for a count of three. It's pretty much the main way a match ends, and that's the proper terminology for it. When the ring announcer says "This bout is scheduled for one fall", that means that the match will end once a wrestler has secured a "fall" against another. This is generally by Pin, Submisson, Countout or Disqualification. There are certain matches, such as Iron Man Matches (most falls within a certain time limit wins) or 2/3 falls matches where more than one is required.

I guess the reason they don't have Cage Matches and the like every night is really because they wrestle so much, some guys between 250-300 a year. Despite it being "pre-determined" (I don't like to say "fake", because it's not really), even a regular match takes a toll on someone's body. So doing gimmick matches every night would be too risky and too taxing. That's why they only save them for special occasions. Probably the most you'd get at a non-televised event these days would be a Street Fight (basically a no-disqualification match), and they wouldn't put that on between two feuding guys every night. I mean, the world-renowned Hulk Hogan isn't known to have worked the most taxing style of match around, yet he's had a hip replacement, knee replacement, and has constant ankle problems, and numbness in his neck and hands. So imagine what guys who worked a more risky style (such as Mick Foley) have had to endure. That's why I don't like when people (usually detractors) say that wrestling is "fake". It's really just like an action movie, only done live in front of an audience, and with the "actors" doing there own stunts. It takes amazing people to go out there nearly every night and take the bumps that they do, as well as travel around all the time, being away from family and friends. By understanding better just how much effort and commitment it takes to do what these guys do (not just in WWE, but in the numerous other wrestling companies all over the world), you just have to respect them IMO.

Reply #190093 | Report this post

I hate people who say its fake

Reply #190094 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

well was introduced as his woman, presumed was his wife, as i didnt know they split... as for the fake thing, yeah its all set up, but it takes a toll on the body... check out that extreme japanese wrestling, not as hardcore as it used to be but still nuts with barbed wire and glass pushed into peoples heads

Reply #190096 | Report this post

Years ago

I think the now-defunct FMW company in Japan did some things that took wrestling to ridiculous extremes (with explosives, electrified cages, women's Bardbed Wire Rope Matches etc.), as have CZW in the US as well (with Fluoro Light Tube Matches, use of lawn edgers etc.). I don't mind a bit of 'hardcore' wrestling, but bringing outside objects like that into it is over-the-top, brutal and unneccesarily dangerous IMO.

Probably my favourite matches from the more 'extreme' side of things from the last couple of years would be Mike Awesome (now unfortunately deceased) vs. Masato Tanaka from ECW One Night Stand 2005 (June 12, 2005), as well as Rey Mysterio vs. Sabu from ECW One Night Stand 2006 (June 11, 2006). Logic doesn't exactly reign supreme in a couple of these aformentioned contests, but there's a fair number of fun spots which a lot of people would find exciting. A couple of slightly older 'hardcore' matches worth seeing are Taz vs. Bam Bam Bigelow from ECW Living Dangerously 1998 (March 1, 1998), and Triple H vs. Cactus Jack from Royal Rumble 2000 (an absolute classic from January 23, 2000). It's not really realistic to expect this kind of thing from all wrestling though, so some people might be let down to find out that a lot of what happens isn't really like this. Still, wrestling can be very entertaining without the use of weapons or props. Anyway, the aformentioned matches are all fun and entertaining contests, without being too bloodthirsty (if I recall correctly, the only one to contain blood is Triple H vs. Cactus Jack), and worth tracking down on YouTube, as they're all bound to be on there in some form.

Reply #190097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kjkj

Reply #194825 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754