TR
Years ago

Could Bogut go No 1 in the Draft

What do people think about the possibility of Bogut going number 1 in the draft.

At the moments he's projected at going at 12 to Denver (current picks of teams are based on current record).

At the moment he's averaging 20.2 points per game, 11.5 boards and 1.7 blocks, damn good numbers in anyone's book.

I guess it may come down to how will the Utes go and maybe some March Madness would help.

The current projected No 1 is Marvin Williams from the Tar Heels, his numbers........ 10.1 points per game, 6.5 boards.... but his is a 6-9 small forward with a Nashlike handle.

Topic #1615 | Report this topic

Right  
Years ago

No chance of him going #1.

Reply #18397 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

No chance. Maybe higher than what he is predicted but not number 1.

Reply #18402 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

He'll go top 5

Reply #18403 | Report this post

no way he will go number one, Okafor was the best college player by far last year and he went no 2, some high school kid will go first!

Reply #18406 | Report this post

Hill  
Years ago

found this on foxsports.com "Almost any NBA talent evaluator not in Salt Lake City Monday night to watch Utah's 69-55 victory over LSU either watched it via satellite or perused a replay of the contest. And nothing they saw of 6-foot-10, 240-pound sophomore Andrew Bogut, who went for 24 points and 17 rebounds in over 40 minutes for the Utes, hampered the growing belief among draft decision makers that he is by far the leading candidate to be selected first overall in the next NBA draft in June. "And I can't even tell you there is a close No. 2 is right now,' a Western Conference player personnel director said Thursday. Wake Forest sophomore point guard Chris Paul would seem the obvious candidate but the sentiment among most NBA scouting types is that Paul could be back in college for his junior season."

Reply #18425 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Isaac,

Keep a tab on this thread and bring it back around the draft time.... I have a gut feeling we will be hearing the words......... 'and with the first pick in the 2005 nba draft, the New Orleans Hornets select Andrew Bogut"....

How's that's for putting my balls on the line........

Reply #18456 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

I doubt that he will even nominate for the NBA draft this season, he will go to collage for one more year and then nominate for the NBA after his junior year, 2007 NBA season. Doing this will allow him one more complete year in college and the world championship for Australia to impress the NBA scouts that will potentially draft him. Chances of him going number one a pretty slim but he was the MVP of the junior world championships a few years back, so to be number one is not out of the question.

If he was to nominate for the NBA draft this season it could be a good thing with his chances of being drafted to a contender like Cleveland (Labron James) at about 14 or 15 or LA Lakers who would be looking for a young power forward or a centre at about the same point in the draft

Reply #18459 | Report this post

"La Bron"? When Bogut was MVP at the worlds, guys like Le Bron and Dwight Howard and Chris Paul werent even there, the US sent a sub par team who achieved a sub par result, he aint going number 1!

Reply #18465 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

Karma,

Didn't you mum ever tell you "never say never" because it may just come right back and bite you on the arse. Because the yanks never send a full strength side Andrew Bogart's MVP isn't worth anything.

The possibility is not that good that he will go number one but the possibility that he could is still available as well

Reply #18472 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Why would he not nominate for the Draft if all rumours are correct and he is almost certain to go in the first round?!?

Surely you would only consider not nominating if you were unlikely to go in the 1st round.

Why would he need to wait for the World Champs to impress? I would think that would probably only hinder his chances of a high pick. I just can't see Australia improving as much as most of the other countries.

PS I'm sure it's not all about being drafted number 1, but actually making it to the NBA and in an environment your happy with and in his case one with plenty of oppurtunity to develop his game (note: not necesarily court time!)

Reply #18474 | Report this post

meaning you cant compare Bogut to Le Bron?

Reply #18475 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

For starters I wasn't comparing La Bron James with Andrew Bogart, If Bogart was to go to the Cleveland Cavs he could become a good tandem with La Bron to possibly win a championship, that was my link to James in my opening statement.

If you want to compare Andrew Bogart with La Bron James in my eyes Andrew Bogart was not the one who made him self look silly playing for his county in the Olympic games last year, did he. Who is to say La Bron would not have been as effective as Bogart was it is very subjective. Open your mind to any possibilities that could actually happen.

Just because the NBA players make millions of dollars doesn't make them the best players in the world.

Reply #18478 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

But when you are one of the best players in the best competition then it does make you one of the best players in the world!
Typical Crows fan...no idea what he's talking about!

Reply #18479 | Report this post

good work B

Reply #18480 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

What about 2 years go, was his game that good world wide or just all hype, if he didn't participate in the junior world championships, how can you say he was better? It like comparing apples with oranges the only competition that James and Bogart have competed in together is the last Olympic games and Andrew Bogart's reputation increased whist La Bron James's demonstration of basic fundamental basketball was a disgrace he could not hit an open jump shot. How can you say he is one of the best players in the world?

Who has ever said the NBA is the best competition in the world? Just because they have the largest salaries doesn't make it them best. The NBA players are the most athletic but in NO means do they have the best skills. The NBA is about entertainment not about basketball that's why the American side didn't dominate at the last senior world championships or Olympic games. European and South American basketball showed the best fundamentals towards the game.

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but at least I have an open mind about what potentially could happen

Reply #18482 | Report this post

Peja, Dirk, Manu and Arroya, what league do these guys play in again?

Reply #18484 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

How do you think the expression "money talks and bull shit walks"? The NBA has the most money to spend on salaries that's why they go to the NBA. Not because it has the best skill level.

What sort of income do you expect they could be making in Brazil or Argentina or what sort of indorsement deals could they expect to make in Europe? That's why they play I the NBA and it also isn't any coincident that they also have the best fundamentals in the NBA as well

Reply #18488 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

He's projected at 12. The website TR uses hardly ever gets it wrong, ever. See where he is after March on the site, then guaranteed he will go within one or two spots of that, as long as he nominates.

Reply #18489 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Crows98 is ON FIRE!!!

Bogut will go in the top 5 hopefully, hes putting up great numbers by the sound of it.
Sometimes NBA managers go for potential over a quality player as well ie Kwame Brown/Jonathen
Bender.
They may never live up to the hype and then there is one like a Shane Battier who was a senior and wont be a star but is contributing a lot more than these guys.
You just dont know what the GM is thinking and it may come down to Position Team Needs

Reply #18499 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Look at Darko - could Bogut be viewed as a similar project? I'd arguably say Bogut is a better player this year then when Darko went number 2....

The best players in the world in the world's best international teams play in the NBA. Bar the Italians - their PG from Athens would be one of the top 10 PGs in the world tho, imho. Likewise that PURE shooter from LIthuania. But yeah, Nowitzki, Parker, Nash, Ginobili, Gasol (QUALITY!), Divac, Stojakovic, Iglauskas, etc. GMs are recognising the quality of international players, colleges are starting to sign more and more foreign talent...it's only good for the game that the best players consistently play against the best.

However, I'd say the standard of the Euroleague would be much better then the minor league (it's name passes me by...NABA?) - just through the sheer volume of players playing in the nations.

The American TEAM is not the best in the world, but that's because it doesn't exist. It's just a hybrid of players thrown together at the last minute before international tournaments to compete. Plus, the league and it's marketers focus completely on the role of the individual - basketball is a team sport - as Detroit showed - but then, the most I've heard about that series is how they "shut down Kobe", "stopped Shaq", not that they stopped the Lakers.

If you look at the major American sports - football, basketball, ice hockey, baseball - the only true global sport they play which demands a quality international team structure is basketball - as players can't gel overnight. The other sports are driven by American money and TV networks - basketball is GLOBAL. Other states which have had a century old soccer culture, from which the international squad is at the forefront of maintaining national pride, understand the need for players to play together consistently long enough to gel and form an understanding. Club football IS getting in the way of this, slowly, but still, the mindset is there.

PS I'd say Bogut will go top ten, and Schenscher will slide into the top 30 based on being the lynchpin of Georgia Tech's run to the National Title. Just imho.

Reply #18503 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

he wont go 1 he should go top 10. common be seriuos Schenscher wont go far.he wont get picked up until like pick 40 if any.he doesnt rate.he will be in college for awhile.

Reply #18504 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Here's the link from Hill's comment:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3302798

It's in teh grey box under the photo - so Bogut is a definite LEGIT number one chance. That would be awesome.

Reply #18507 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

Just a question, I may be an idiot but last time I checked college games are 2 x twenty min. halves.

2 x 20 = 40. So unless the game went to OT (which is not mentioned) how could he have possibly have played 'in over 40 minutes for the Utes'?

Reply #18531 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

Also, with a double-double yesterday he has a total of 12 d-d's and leads the NCAA

Reply #18532 | Report this post

yoohoo  
Years ago

I thought that Bogut was not playing in the top college division though? How does it all work? I know there is a division one, that Schensher plays in the top division (I think) and that there are also lesser divisions which have community colleges (TAFE-equivalent thingies) and so on. Can anyone fill in the gaps?

Reply #18533 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

There are some 300 odd teams in Division 1?. Schenscher plays in the ACC which is one of the better divisions in the country. Bogut still plays div 1. Just in a less talked about conference.

Reply #18536 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Why would Bogut not nominate for the draft????

His stock is rising, the scouts are loving him, he's getting a profile on ESPN, and he's having a breakout year. This would be the best time to jump on the NBA gravytrain....Take the opportunity whilst it's there.......

From memory, the only reason he went to college was to play for one of the best X and O men in the game, Rick Majeras (??? on the spelling), to help toughen him up for the NBA. Rick is now coaching at another college after his health scare....

Who cares what conference he is playing in, still gotta put the ball in the hoop, and crash those boards regardless of who or where you play.

Jump on the NBA train my son.... you never know when a knee could blow out, at least he'll have a big $$$ contract. Oh, he's moved up to no 10 on nbadraft.net.

I'll stand by my No 1 prediction....

Reply #18614 | Report this post

stella artois  
Years ago

TR, Majerus did indeed sign to coach USC (from memory) but promptly resigned before meeting the players. I understand it is because he didnt feel he physically could meet the time and energy demands of the job.

Reply #18619 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

A quote for a guy in the know about Bogut.

"I personally don't think we'll play against a better big guy," University of Arizona coach Lute Olson said.

Hope Bogut likes Gumbo cause that's all they eat in New Orleans......

Reply #18712 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

:D

Any chance a decent team could somehow win the lottery? Imagine if someone big in the West blew it big time towards the end of the year...

Reply #18742 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It is a lottery. Even the winner of the Championship has a theoretical chance of getting #1 pick...

Reply #18746 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

No, only the teams that don't make the playoffs go into the lottery.

Reply #18749 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ahh.. my bad. Will be alot quality teams that just miss out. Look at Minnesota - OK atm byt have lost 7 of last 8. Same with Denver, although they beat Lakers yesterday.

Nuggets prob won't take a big man, but Minnesota couls use another quality big with range. Olowakandi sucks

Reply #18751 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bogut would look good at Houston too

Reply #18752 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Having a look at a couple of forecasted drafts from some experts, they're looking at Bogut to go at around 10th to 14th, and there was talk that Denver might be the one to go for him. Some of the teams that will be up for the lottery also lack a bit when it comes to a seven footer, for example Golden State, Chicago, Charlotte, Boston. Denver currently have two seven footers none with the potential though of Bogut.
What are peoples opinion of where the Schensh will go? Most experts are predicting in the 40's. Do you think though if Georgia Tech go well in the finals he'll get a lot more exposure and could go higher?

Reply #18755 | Report this post

baggy  
Years ago

Great article in today's Australian about Bogut. Really talks him and his prospects up. Worth a read.

Reply #18761 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

If the Yellow Jackets win the title, I reckon Schenscher might just go lottery. Will the Utes make the NCAA Tourney? Does St Mary's have a chance (Kickert?)

Reply #18893 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nup, can't see Schenscher going lottery, first round, yep, not lottery

Reply #18903 | Report this post

Lt. Bookman  
Years ago

Prediction: Schenscher is picked up before Bogut!

Reply #18904 | Report this post

mg  
Years ago

no

Reply #22661 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hell will freeze over and New Zealand will become a world power before Schenscher is picked b4 Bogut.

Reply #22686 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

'and with the first pick in the 2005 nba draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Andrew Bogut"....

Reply #22701 | Report this post

rr  
Years ago

maybe but if he does imagine what it will do for australian ball

Reply #26962 | Report this post

bp  
Years ago

http://www.nbadraft.net

1. Atlanta
Andrew Bogut 7-0 242 C Utah So.

Reply #28659 | Report this post

JAYLOW  
Years ago

He will go number one for sure otherwise we will get him back in Australia to play with the Sydney Kings. By the way he will be playing for Australia at the Commenwealth Games in Melbourne.

Reply #29132 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Bogut will be a drafted Hawk in June at No 1

Reply #29137 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

can u see the hawks trading the rights to bogut to orlanado for dwight howard a local atlanta boy?

Reply #30045 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

Atlanta definately needs a potentially dominant centre on their team. This is not their only weakness, but Andrew Bogut will help this team a lot more than a point guard like Wake Forest's Chris Paul or a small forward like North Carolina's Marvin Williams (if he enters the draft). I just hope they don't make a stupid mistake and try and draft potential at centre and get 7'3" Lithuanian teenager Martynas Andriecevicius. The Golden State Warriors would be more suited to select him as they at least already have a big guy who can score and rebound(Troy Murphy) and one who can block shots and rebound (Adonal Foyle).
Andrew Bogut to the Atlanta Hawks!

Reply #30140 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Word is New York is looking to trade hard to get that number one pick!

Reply #30187 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

New York is always looking to do everything! lol

Reply #30222 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Does NY have anything New Orleans, Atlanta of Charlotte want??? I takes a fair bit to trade for the No 1 pick, and there is no way Thomas is going to trade Starbury for the pick.....

I have a friend over in Charlotte who is keeping me in the loop. The sleeper at the moment is Utah is looking at moving up and currently holds the forth pick on record.

Here's a scenario I have heard, Cats get the first pick, and they grab Bogut and then trade him to Utah for the forth pick, Raja Bell and a 2nd round pick. Being a Cats fan it wouldn't upset me too much to see that trade take place.

Reply #30395 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

I can't really see that happening though. The Jazz have some alright young big guys (Mehmet Okur, who should be starting, Kris Humphries etc.) What they need is a good point guard like... Chris Paul of Wake Forest!
Plus I think the Cats are alright with Okafor and Brezec as big guys. They should try and get a good shooting guard who can rebound and defend. I know they already have Kareem Rush and Jason Capono, but they are a bit one-dimentional (just shooters).

Reply #30526 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

unless the knicks give the hawks marbury they can po

Reply #30529 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

OF COURSE HE WILL AND HE'LL GET THE ROKKIE OF THE YEAR ASWELL

Reply #30562 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Yep Diffenitly he will hes aussie

Reply #30563 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Could Bogut go No 1 in the Draft?
Thats a stupid question of course he will!

Reply #30564 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

it would be about time we got another aussie big man in there other that Luc Longly.......

Reply #30565 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nick,

Not a stupid question due to the fact that I posted this thread way before March madness, way before the Bogut declared for the draft, and at the time Bogut was only projected at going in the middle of the first round.....

It's still a relevant question, Atlanta ain't all the keen on him (not sure why), the Cats don't need him, and New Orleans wish they had him this year.

Reply #30581 | Report this post

Inertiatic  
Years ago

Atlanta should be keen on him. They need a genuine centre and no more small forwards!

Reply #30687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'9 isnt excactly centre size, however he is measured 7'0 american so yeh

Reply #30694 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

lue
childress
smith
bogut
anderson

Reply #30695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754