LC
Years ago

Boomers vs Iran (Spoilers)

Boomers absolutely hosing Iran at the moment...up 69-27 with 2:46 remaining in 3rd period.

Defence is killing the Iranians.

Topic #16181 | Report this topic

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Watching the stats online...Boomers are eating them up. Now up 70-27 with 2:12 to go in 3rd.
CJ and Newley leading the scoring for Oz.
18 TO's for Iran, 6 for Oz plus, 9 steals.
18 assists for the Boomers too so far

Reply #190538 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

Pretty disappointing that the big man, Jaber Rouzbahani, has not checked into the game...

Reply #190540 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Disappointing to see Anstey has not attempted one shot inside the paint. 0/5, including 0/2 from outside the arc.
Good to see the Boomers taking it inside tonight though. Just wish I could watch it!
78-31 early in 4th.
Mills is featuring too

Reply #190541 | Report this post

Years ago

Where the stats at?

Reply #190544 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Heres the link:

http://linky.com.au/1wapy

Now 87-43.

Reply #190546 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hinder is the only aussie yet to score...last game for Australia for Hinder or will he get another gig in Melbourne?

Mills, CJ, Newley and even Saville have done very well. Redhage another good game, and Helliwell has done OK to get another game in Melboure.

Reply #190548 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I opened my big mouth!

02:03 04, Russell Hinder, shot 3pt made

Reply #190550 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

02:25 16, Jaber Rouzbahani Darresari, substitution in

01:24 16, Jaber Rouzbahani Darresari, shot 2pt made

Reply #190551 | Report this post

BoomerFan  
Years ago

Aussies won in a canter! 97-53

Mills - 17 points (8/11), 3 assists, 2 rebounds
Bruton - 15 points (4/5 3PT), 2 assist, 2 steals
Saville - 14 points (6/9), 6 rebounds, 4 assists
Newley - 13 points (6/10), 3 rebounds, 3 assists
Helliwell - 9 points (5/7 FT), 4 rebounds
Redhage - 8 points (3/4) in 12:47 on court, 2 rebounds

Very disappointing Iranian team. We stll have Bogut, Andersen and Nielsen to add to the team.

Boomers had a more balanced scoring approach tonight, with an inside/outside game. 42 points scored in the paint.

Like to hear from people who attended tonights game on the Boomers effort and tactics.

Reply #190553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently the Aussies played someone new called CJ Burton - they spelled his surname wrong on Live Stats!
Iran had 20 turnovers to Boomers 9.

Reply #190554 | Report this post

Ben Dover  
Years ago

Hinder is hopeless. Goorj's love child.
He's just making up numbers until Andersen and Bogey man join the team.

Reply #190555 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree on Hinder!!!
How many at tonight's game? I'd also like to hear from people who watched the game.
From the stats, it looked like the Boomers may have applied full court pressure??? Can someone fill us in on the style of play from tonight's game?

Reply #190556 | Report this post

BoomerFan  
Years ago

Article of BA website already...

http://linky.com.au/yvyht

Reply #190557 | Report this post

OG Loc  
Years ago

Don't forget we're missing Jawai also.

Reply #190558 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

Good game by the Aussies.
Saville and Mills best on court.

Iranians missed a lot of shots that other nations wont miss so still got some D to work on.

Most Aussies played well. Ingles struggled (someone needs to tell him to get aggressive and use his athleticism). Newly only came good when they were up by a lot, IMO Barlow should be starting in his place at SG. Saville made a big push for the team. Anstey did nothing.

My team would be

Bruton / Mills
Barlow / Newly / Ingles
Worthington / Redhage / Saville
Anderson / Nielson
Bogut / Anstey

But still have to consider Ogilvy / Jawai / Bruce / Kendall (handy to have a combo guard but not likely)

Tough decisions ahead for Goorj.

Reply #190560 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can't see Jawai making the team with the abundance of front court players we already have.
Jawai is currently sitting out the NBA workouts with an injured thigh as well. Doesn't look good for his chances of a place in the Boomers team. His chances at a first round selection in the draft are also now in doubt.

Reply #190561 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

TheFansMan - I think your analysis sounds close to how the team will look come Beijing. Ingles will probably scrape in and is really competing with Harvey for the last guard spot. I reckon Barlow will start come the Olympics even though he didn't shoot as well tonight as in Perth. At 6'9' he will pose matchup problems for a lot of teams.
I too can't see Jawai making the cut as outlined by LC. Bruce is out of contention I would think. I like the idea of Kendall in the team as a combo guard. He could add some grunt and flexibility - much like Ingles can do between SF and SG.
Will be interesting to see the final selections.

Reply #190562 | Report this post

N  
Years ago

approx how many at the game?

Reply #190563 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hinder is a joke! we should've locked him out of the dome like his landlord locked him out of his house.

Reply #190569 | Report this post

Hoop Fiend  
Years ago

I thought CJ, Newley, and Barlow looked great in their respective starting 1,2,3 positions tonight.

Mills was devastating off the bench, and Sav and Redhage performed their roles well.

i think Ingles will struggle to gain a 3 spot and does not look like he is being considered for any other spots.

Mills was instant offence, fantastic to watch.

Reply #190570 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The game was a no contest so the competitive aspect was a bit disappointing. I didn't manage to get hold of a program so I had a few issues identifying players from the Iranian team and Wade Helliwell as I haven't seen him play in ages. Boomers were clearly more athletic and dominant on the boards. Seemed to be working on a trap on the inbounds ball after scoring and ball pressure. Works pretty effectively when you have the speed of some like Mills, and Redhage surprised me with quick hands and lots of deflections. Not sure if there was a particular game plan on offense other than good ball movement and shot selection, its kinda hard to tell when you can score at will.

Mills impressed me with his over all game play and speed, while Saville was really clutch, hit some tough shots. Can't say that much on the stats because they weren't available at the game. Iran didn't have the best team chemistry, Mahdi Kamrany (number 7) and I think it was the captain Samad Nikkah (14?) had pretty bad body language towards each other.. there was a really nice alley oop that seemed to come out of no where for the Iranians, and a massive cheer rang out when Jaber Rouzbahani Darresari was subbed in. Amazing wingspan. The whole crowd wanted to see him.

The Iranian coach pissed me off, not sure it was the language barrier but he was pretty annoying, the refs were lenient with him imho but thats understandable considering the scoreline. Its been a long time since I disliked someone more than Goorjian.

Reply #190571 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good game to watch. Hinder in the team is a joke. I hate the man.

Mills impressive with his speed etc. CJ Bruton still good for an old man.

Ingles needs to be more aggressive and confident. He seemed nervous and lost @ times.

Great to see Newley back in Adelaide.

Aussies mixed up there shots tonight with both inside and outside.

Aussies pressed the defence a bit.

Anstey's lack of aggression and lack of post play disappointed me.

Iran team lack chemistry. Couple of the blokes dislike each other.

Pissed off that the player names were banned from the scoreboard. I don't get it even if it's a rule or religion for the Iran team. Maybe there names are too long for the scoreboard with all the hyphens, repeats etc.

Goorjan is still a wanker.

Iran coach pissed me off and annoyed me with all his nonsense. Refs let him off though due to language etc.

Extremely disappointed the big fella from Iran only receive couple of garbage minutes. Part of the reason for buying the ticket was to see him + our Aussies as a nation.

I hope the Aussies return soon.

Reply #190575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embarrassing error in basic protocol pre-game when Australian national anthem was played before Iran's (after a "technical problem" had already caused a delay). It's an international match! Get it right!

Reply #190586 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I doubt Ingles will make the final cut for Bejing. He really was a step off the pace for an international event, and that was against second rate opposition.

Helliwell was better than I remembered him, may sneak into the 12 spot on the team.

I thought Worthington was very disappointing. He may also not be quite up to this level yet. I would take Redhage over Worthington any day.

Bruton / Mills
Newley / Saville
Barlow / Redhage
Anderson / Neilson
Bogut / Anstey

And based on that one game, it would then be a toss up between Worthington, Kendall and Helliwell for the last two places. For me, I think Worthington would miss out as he is the most replaceable.

Reply #190599 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

About 6,000 , I would think as a guess.
Helliwell, Mills , Newley were my best .

Reply #190603 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Huh? 6000 for the crowd? Were you there??

My guess would be about 3200.

Reply #190605 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The_Champ, where were you sitting? Did you wear the Celtics top? I spotted at least three guys in Cs gear - one near the player's race and two above the concourse under the corporate boxes.

My guess is the crowd was 2-3k.

Good to see a number of Iranian fans out to watch the game.

Just a shame that it wasn't a more competitive game. Hold that up against a Socceroos qualifier on Fox and it's hardly going to win the sport any new fans - hopefully we get more opportunities to host other nations in the future.

A few current and ex-36ers spotted at the game - Schensch, Holmes, Davidson, Ng and Rogers. Vasiljevic was there too. Any others?

Reply #190606 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Isaac!

I was sitting in row F in the South side. A few rows behind the Commetators bench etc.

I was wearing my Knicks cap. I was hoping to chest bump the Celtic fans. I only spotted one with a PP jersey near the Iran player's race.

Forgot to mention Darren Ng was in the crowd with family.

Redhage was very impressive and threw down some good dunks.

Wortho is easily replaced.

I think Ingles will be cut. He was disappointing against the lower level opposition.

Ooo and again the Iran coach annoyed me. Always flapping his hands "hey hey" "what's happening?" etc

Does anyone remember the Iran Assistant Coach with the blue jeans and glasses? Does anyone think he looked a bit like Robert from 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.

Reply #190613 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, ex-36er Oscar Forman was there too. They even pointed him out over the PA.

It was a shocking game to watch, I kept thinking of all the social games I've played where one side got a pantsing, and comparing the quality of the spectacle in favor of the social games, save for a couple of open-court dunks.

Iran couldn't handle the ball pressure up the court and then couldn't throw it in the ocean from a boat, they had a few shots go in-and-out but even if they had gone in, it would only have narrowed the margin. The half-time stats had them shooting 17%. Australia had no such trouble, they'd steal the ball and be off to the races. As a previous poster mentioned, it was hard to detect any structure to the Aussie offence, when they did play half-court it seemed to be a case of throwing a couple of passes and whoever got it would be wide open.

Mills' speed was too much for the Iranians, at one point he crossed half-court with all five Iranians ahead of him and beat them all to the basket for a layup.

On the other side of the coin, their big guy was about as unathletic as you could get and didn't seem to have great hands either. That this stood out amongst the rest of the team, none of whom looked too quick, says something for how slow-footed this guy was. But as they say, he never got any shorter as the game wore on.

[And before anyone says anything, yes, I know Isaac and Oscar are closely related!]

Reply #190615 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I have seen smaller 36ers crowds in the last couple of years, but what was with the PA system - I think my ears are still bleeding, good to see the scoreboard has been upgraded.

I thought it was interesting that they highlighted the respect for the Iranians not having the players names on the scoreboard but couldn't respect them with their national anthem first. Or maybe that was out of respect too - just seemed a bit of a shambles really. Projector screen wasnt on at the start of the game - looks like it needs its globe replacing, seemed a lot less bright than normal. Hopefully a bit of polish can be applied before the 36ers season begins.

Reply #190629 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

The Iran big man is more athletic than George Murshean.

Reply #190633 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Australians did 'UCLA' offence!!! Or at least that was what Goorj was telling them during timeout in 1st half which is all that I watched on video after I got home from the game.

Reply #190645 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Whilst the game was not competetive, it came over good on fox. New fans wouldn't understand what Goorj was saying.

Reply #190651 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

But Gheorghe Muresan could play. Makes a small difference...

Helliwell played alright eh? The apocalypse must be on its way... I hope he`s been practising his horsecraft in preparation! ;)

Reply #190653 | Report this post

Apollo Daze  
Years ago

Did Boti think it was 80's retro night?
That jacket was straight out A Night at The Roxy, amazed he didn't top off his attire with stone wash jeans and Ciaks.

Reply #190664 | Report this post

patty_mills_fan  
Years ago

how good is patty mills.

i was so pissed that the jaber guy only got like 2 minutes. and it was only because their other centre got fouled off. jaber didnt even do anything good. all he did was a baby hook. i wanted him to dunk it on someones head or something. he did still manage to outscore half of his team.

it would have been better if it was a closer match.

all the iranian supporters were good though i was sitting in amongst a bunch of them. they werent pissed because they were losing or anything.

chris anstey shot shit house. although he did hit 4/4 from the line (thats all he scored)

CJ hit 4 of 5 threes. he shot better from 3 than he did from the free throw line.

Reply #190676 | Report this post

patty_mills_fan  
Years ago

how good is patty mills.

i was so pissed that the jaber guy only got like 2 minutes. and it was only because their other centre got fouled off. jaber didnt even do anything good. all he did was a baby hook. i wanted him to dunk it on someones head or something. he did still manage to outscore half of his team.

it would have been better if it was a closer match.

all the iranian supporters were good though i was sitting in amongst a bunch of them. they werent pissed because they were losing or anything.

chris anstey shot shit house. although he did hit 4/4 from the line (thats all he scored)

CJ hit 4 of 5 threes. he shot better from 3 than he did from the free throw line.

Reply #190677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was a bitch of a game to watch, no intensity or crowd involve ment. iran were amazingly bad and their big man was amazingly retarded. Noticed skip turning furiously nobs and whatever else at half time during scotty ninnni's interview, were you trying to turn up his microphone cause you couldn't hear the 1st half?

Reply #190720 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

That sound system is sh......"#!!!

Far too much piercing harsh treble and echoes everywhere.

Most impressive aussie - Pat Mills, smooth, quick, good shots and some of those finger rolls had massive air.

Least impressive aussie - Joe Ingles, seemed nervous etc,fumbled and did'nt shoot well, should be good in future with more experience but imo not this Olympics.

Reply #190722 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I like XY's team for Beijing, but I've made some additional inclusions because the team can have up to 12 players.

Bruton / Mills
Newley / Saville/ Harvey
Barlow / Redhage
Anderson / Neilson/ Jawai
Bogut / Anstey

I would throw Jawai in for some extra size across the shouders because I can't imagine Anstey or Neilson spending much time banging away inside against the Argentines, the Spanish, the Greeks or Americans. Jawai could also be a safety should either Bogut or Andersen get hurt (heaven forbid). Helliwell has improved so he might sneek in front of Jawai depending on his form during the lead ups.

I'd also include Harvey so we have another long range bomber. Bruton and Newley can be hit or miss and I can see Harvey nicely complimenting the helter skelter game of Mills. Mills and Saville can also be hit or miss with the 3 ball.

History has shown teams with reliable long range bombers go deep in the Olympic tournament.

Reply #190732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754