BarkoftheDog
Years ago

My NBA Rookie Mock Draft

#1 - Chicago Bulls: Derrick Rose
The best player in this year's draft thus why he's going at #1. They don't need Beasley as they're already loaded at the frontcourt with Tyrus, Deng, Noah, and Nocioni. Hinrich is almost certainly to be traded.

#2 - Miami Heat: Michael Beasley
Obvious choice. It's either Rose or Beasley.

#3 - Minnesota T'Wolves: OJ Mayo
Though they should be looking for an improvement at the frontcourt with Lopez and Love, OJ is just a too good talent to pass on. The T'Wolves fans want him, and so they should. He and Jefferson will make a dynamic duo in the future (they'll likely trade Mccants or Foye for a big if they do this).

#4 - Oklahoma Sonics: Jerryd Bayless
With Wilcox, Collision, and Petro at the 4/5, Durant and Green at the 2/3, it's obvious that with pick #4 they'd prefer a starter who will contribute right away and push Watson/Ridnour out of the lineup so they dont take Durant or Greens minutes. Bayless is the best PG available.

#5 - Memphis Grizzlies: Kevin Love
If Darko Millicic and Hakim Warrick are your starters at the 4/5 and Kwame and Collins are next in line on the bench, then u obviously need an upgrade from that. Kevin Love is the best player available at the PF/C position.

#6 - New York Knicks: Russell Westbrook
Phil Wash is in love with him, we all know that. Eric Gordon might be a more talented player, but Westbrook probably fits their needs better (when Marbury goes), and works better in D'Antoni's fast paced system.

#7 - LA Clippers: Eric Gordon
Their starting SG is Cuttino Mobley so they definitely need an upgrade and some fresh legs in that position. They are solid at the 3, 4 and 5 positions with Al Thornton, Elton Brand and Chris Kaman. So a starting lineup is starting to look pretty decent and Gordon will give them the outside shooter that they lack and extra depth.

#8 - Milwaukee Bucks: Joe Alexander
They badly need an improvement at the 3 position, and maybe an improvement from their frontcourt. Why not better than Joe? He'll slot straight into the starting lineup at the 3 and can also play at the 4, in a team that desperately needs decent forwards.

#9 - Charlotte Bobcats: Anthony Randolph
Will be looking to improve at the forward positions. Randolph is the best available.

#10 - New Jersey Nets: Brook Lopez
It's obvious that the frontline is an issue for this team. They do have some young bigs (Boone, Krstic, Sean Williams) with room to grow, but they still lack the toughness the Nets need.

#11 - Indiana Pacers: DJ Augustine
They need to shore up on the Point position, so DJ is an obvious choice.

#12 - Sacramento Kings: Marreese Speights
Kings need someone with a big body to help cover their inside defensive problems, and Speights is the best player available. Obviously if someone like Randolph or Brook falls through then they'll snare them up over Speights in no time.

#13 - Portland Trailblazers: Brandon Rush
The Blazers are basically set for the starting lineup position in the future, with maybe the exception of the Point. But Chalmers the next best PG isn't worth picking up at 13, and they don't need Danilo as they're loaded at the 3 with Outlaw and Webster. Rush will top off their scoring off the bench.

#14 - Golden State Warriors: Donte Green
The Warriors who are basically a 50-win team, will go for the best available to top off their roster and make the playoffs with #14. Donte Green is the best talent available.

#15 - Phoenix Suns: Robin Lopez
The Suns needs a big that's not just Brain Skinner. Shaq and Amare will likely get injured during the season, so they'll have Lopez to step up when that happens. Lopez also improves their defense a little bit.

#16 - Philadelphia 76ers: Darrel Arthur
They need an improvement at the 4 over Reggie Evans. Thaddeous Young isn't bad... but he's a 3 playing out of position. Arthur makes sense.

#17 - Toronto Raptors: Danilo Gallinari
Delfino or Parker will be gone, so they'll need a shooter. Gallinari is just too good at #17, and will be taken ahead of Douglas Richards and Batum.

#18 - Washington Wizards: Roy Hibbert
Hibbert provides them with solid interior D when Haywood is on the bench. He'll probably only ever be a backup center, but that's something the Wizards need anyway... he can't be any worst than Ethan Thomas.

#19 - Cleveland Cavaliers: Courtney Lee
They should go after a big, but with Lebron on the team, they need to win and win now. So obviously they're gonna draft a shooter to be a good fit alongside Lebron (though that team is the most stacked team when it comes to spot up jump shoters). Courtney Lee seems like the right choice if Douglas Richards and Rush are not available.

#20 - Denver Nuggets: Mario Chalmers
Denver desperately need a PG that's not name Anthony Carter or Chucky Atkins. Chalmers is a better fit than both of those players because he can hit shots anywhere (and will get a ton of open looks with Melo and AI), and he can also play defense which is something the Nuggets desperately need. Chalmers potential might not be that great... but he can't be any worst than Anthony Carter.

#21 - New Jersey Nets: Nicholas Batum
With a big taken a pick 10, then they'll need a spot up shooter who will backup VC and Jefferson, so Batum seems like a pretty good and safe pick.

#22 - Orlando Magic: DeAndre Jordan
They need to badly fill the hole at the 2 position, but the best 2 guards are basically gone. So at this stage, they'll look at the best player available at is is DeAndre, who will look to fill the job that Foyle couldn't do.

#23 - Utah Jazz: Jason Thompson
They need a shot blocker that's not Andre Kirilenko and a real center that's not Mehmet Okur. Thompson fits the bill.

#24 - Oklahoma Sonics: Kosta Koufos
All their positions is set for the future with Bayless drafted, so they'll go with the best talent available. Koufos fits the bill, and could be considered a steal.

#25 - Houston Rockets: Serge Ibaka
Best talent available. They just need a healthy team.

#26 - San Antonio Spurs: Alexis Ajinca
Best talent available.

#27 - New Orleans Hornets: JJ Hickson
Best talent available.

#28 - Memphis Grizzlies: Nathan Jawai
They need a big with power. Jawai from Australia, provides that and will also improve their fanbase.

#29 - Detroit Pistons: Devon Hardin
Will help their interior problems.

#30 - Boston Celtics: Ryan Anderson
Will be looking for a project player... so i just picked the youngest best player available.

Topic #16207 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very nice writeup. I hope Jawai gets drafted in the first round despite his injury.

Reply #190914 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I just hope Jawai doesn't get drafted by Memohis. I don't think it would be good for him. Hopefully either Detriot, Houston or (and i can't believe i;m saying this) San Antonio. I think he could really develop as a player there with some good/experienced centers/PF there.

Reply #190919 | Report this post

BarkoftheDog  
Years ago

i forgot Douglas Richards... so it goes like this now:
#1 - Chicago Bulls: Derrick Rose
The best player in this year's draft thus why he's going at #1. They don't need Beasley as they're already loaded at the frontcourt with Tyrus, Deng, Noah, and Nocioni. Hinrich is almost certainly to be traded.

#2 - Miami Heat: Michael Beasley
Obvious choice. It's either Rose or Beasley.

#3 - Minnesota T'Wolves: OJ Mayo
Though they should be looking for an improvement at the frontcourt with Lopez and Love, OJ is just a too good talent to pass on. The T'Wolves fans want him, and so they should. He and Jefferson will make a dynamic duo in the future (they'll likely trade Mccants or Foye for a big if they do this).

#4 - Oklahoma Sonics: Jerryd Bayless
With Wilcox, Collision, and Petro at the 4/5, Durant and Green at the 2/3, it's obvious that with pick #4 they'd prefer a starter who will contribute right away and push Watson/Ridnour out of the lineup so they dont take Durant or Greens minutes. Bayless is the best PG available.

#5 - Memphis Grizzlies: Kevin Love
If Darko Millicic and Hakim Warrick are your starters at the 4/5 and Kwame and Collins are next in line on the bench, then u obviously need an upgrade from that. Kevin Love is the best player available at the PF/C position.

#6 - New York Knicks: Russell Westbrook
Phil Wash is in love with him, we all know that. Eric Gordon might be a more talented player, but Westbrook probably fits their needs better (when Marbury goes), and works better in D'Antoni's fast paced system.

#7 - LA Clippers: Eric Gordon
Their starting SG is Cuttino Mobley so they definitely need an upgrade and some fresh legs in that position. They are solid at the 3, 4 and 5 positions with Al Thornton, Elton Brand and Chris Kaman. So a starting lineup is starting to look pretty decent and Gordon will give them the outside shooter that they lack and extra depth.

#8 - Milwaukee Bucks: Joe Alexander
They badly need an improvement at the 3 position, and maybe an improvement from their frontcourt. Why not better than Joe? He'll slot straight into the starting lineup at the 3 and can also play at the 4, in a team that desperately needs decent forwards.

#9 - Charlotte Bobcats: Anthony Randolph
Will be looking to improve at the forward positions. Randolph is the best available.

#10 - New Jersey Nets: Brook Lopez
It's obvious that the frontline is an issue for this team. They do have some young bigs (Boone, Krstic, Sean Williams) with room to grow, but they still lack the toughness the Nets need.

#11 - Indiana Pacers: DJ Augustine
They need to shore up on the Point position, so DJ is an obvious choice.

#12 - Sacramento Kings: Marreese Speights
Kings need someone with a big body to help cover their inside defensive problems, and Speights is the best player available. Obviously if someone like Randolph or Brook falls through then they'll snare them up over Speights in no time.

#13 - Portland Trailblazers: Brandon Rush
The Blazers are basically set for the starting lineup position in the future, with maybe the exception of the Point. But Chalmers the next best PG isn't worth picking up at 13, and they don't need Danilo as they're loaded at the 3 with Outlaw and Webster. Rush will top off their scoring off the bench.

#14 - Golden State Warriors: Donte Green
The Warriors who are basically a 50-win team, will go for the best available to top off their roster and make the playoffs with #14. Donte Green is the best talent available.

#15 - Phoenix Suns: Robin Lopez
The Suns needs a big that's not just Brain Skinner. Shaq and Amare will likely get injured during the season, so they'll have Lopez to step up when that happens. Lopez also improves their defense a little bit.

#16 - Philadelphia 76ers: Darrel Arthur
They need an improvement at the 4 over Reggie Evans. Thaddeous Young isn't bad... but he's a 3 playing out of position. Arthur makes sense.

#17 - Toronto Raptors: Danilo Gallinari
Delfino or Parker will be gone, so they'll need a shooter. Gallinari is just too good at #17, and will be taken ahead of Douglas Richards and Batum.

#18 - Washington Wizards: Roy Hibbert
Hibbert provides them with solid interior D when Haywood is on the bench. He'll probably only ever be a backup center, but that's something the Wizards need anyway... he can't be any worst than Ethan Thomas.

#19 - Cleveland Cavaliers: Chris Douglas Richards
They should go after a big, but with Lebron on the team, they need to win and win now. So obviously they're gonna draft a shooter to be a good fit alongside Lebron (though that team is the most stacked team when it comes to spot up jump shoters). Chris Douglas Richards seems like the right choice if Rush is not available.

#20 - Denver Nuggets: Mario Chalmers
Denver desperately need a PG that's not name Anthony Carter or Chucky Atkins. Chalmers is a better fit than both of those players because he can hit shots anywhere (and will get a ton of open looks with Melo and AI), and he can also play defense which is something the Nuggets desperately need. Chalmers potential might not be that great... but he can't be any worst than Anthony Carter.

#21 - New Jersey Nets: Nicholas Batum
With a big taken a pick 10, then they'll need a spot up shooter who will backup VC and Jefferson, so Batum seems like a pretty good and safe pick.

#22 - Orlando Magic: Courtney Lee
They need to badly fill the hole at the 2 position, and Courtney seems to be the best SG available.

#23 - Utah Jazz: Jason Thompson
They need a shot blocker that's not Andre Kirilenko and a real center that's not Mehmet Okur. Thompson fits the bill.

#24 - Oklahoma Sonics: Kosta Koufos
All their positions is set for the future with Bayless drafted, so they'll go with the best talent available. Koufos fits the bill, and could be considered a steal.

#25 - Houston Rockets: DeAndre Jordan
Best talent available. They just need a healthy team.

#26 - San Antonio Spurs: Serge Ibaka
Best talent available.

#27 - New Orleans Hornets: Alexis Ajinca
Best talent available.

#28 - Memphis Grizzlies: Nathan Jawai
They need a big with power. Jawai from Australia, provides that and will also improve their fanbase.

#29 - Detroit Pistons: JJ Hickson
Will help their interior problems.

#30 - Boston Celtics: Ryan Anderson
Will be looking for a project player... so i just picked the youngest best player available.

Reply #190921 | Report this post

cjbruton  
Years ago

great predictions. where you think bruce will go?

Reply #190922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai ain't going to be first round...not many injured player has ever gone first round especially Jawai case when he actually needs to make statement to move him up a few rank

Reply #190923 | Report this post

Years ago

A couple of those picks are a bit off IMO. I don't see Gallinari dropping that low for starters, and if he was available at #13, I'm pretty sure the Blazers would pick him, as they need another true Small Forward more than another Shooting Guard, as they already have Rudy Fernandez finally coming over from Spain this year. Anyway, I've heard that if he's still available at #10, the Nets are all but certain to draft Gallinari.

And the guy's name is Chris Douglas-Roberts by the way :-)

Reply #190926 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

a) how is jawai going to get them a better fan base? He might have people watch HIM when his games are on, but don't think he will add extra seats at games or even sell many jerseys

b) the person who said Jawai should go to somewhere like detroit, are you forgetting that they destroyed any future Darko could have had by sitting him all season

Reply #190927 | Report this post

BarkoftheDog  
Years ago

Darko is from Australia, of course fan base will increase like that.

Portland don't need another SF.
Webster and Outlaw are going to take majority of minutes at that position.

At the 2, Rush seems like a good pick because he'll be backing up Roy.

Reply #190932 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'll just assume that you mean Jawai is Australian and not Darko.

My draft picks:

1: Chicago - Rose
2: Miami - Beasley (if they keep the pick. I can see them and the Clippers doing a trade involving Brand)
3: Minnesota - Mayo
4: Seattle - Bayless
5: Memphis - Love
6: Knicks - Randolph (I think the Knicks may trade this pick)
7: Clippers - Gordon (refer trade with Miami. If Miami has this pick then maybe Westbrook)
8: Bucks - Alexander (if Gordon is available then they'll select him)
9: Cats - Lopez
10: Nets - Gallinari (rumors are a promise has been made)
11: Indiana - Westbrook (if gone then DJ)
12: Kings - DJ Augustine
13: Portland - Jordan (I think Portland will trade this pick)
14: Warriors - Arthur
15: Suns - Speights
16: 76ers - Greene
17: Toronto - Hibbert
18: Wizards - Batum
19: Cavs - Chalmers
20: Denver - Robin Lopez
21: Nets - Mc Gee
22: Magic - Rush
23: Jazz - Ibaka
24: Seattle - Thompson
25: Houston - Anderson
26: Spurs - Ajinca
27: Hornets - Douglas-Roberts
28: Memphis - Hickson
29: Pistons - Walker (rumors of a promise)
30: Boston - Jawai

Reply #190936 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

My draft just changed......

Batum slips to the first pick of the 2nd round.

"Young Frenchman Nicolas Batum stopped a recent workout with the Toronto Raptors earlier this week after after a stress echo test came back in the "borderline" area, ESPN's Chad Ford is reporting."

Every player moves up a spot and with the last pick Boston selects Courtney Lee.

http://linky.com.au/inxe0

Reply #190948 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Guys i think we are forgetting some pretty important stuff, i mean, i'd love to do a mock draft but really, there are so many variables involved...
What team is going to trade up or down to get the guy they want?
What team is going to let a free agent walk and surprise by picking a player to replace that free agent?
This is the case for the clippers, They can re-sign Brand but what they pick in the draft should give other GM's some insight into whether or not Elton is in their future.
And the big question- which team is going to pick based on talent vs team needs...

Reply #191029 | Report this post

Years ago

I think Webster was more of an Shootinh Guard filling in as an SF myself, due to the injury to James Jones. I suppose they'll get him back, and have Outlaw too, but I think a versatile SF who can work hard and play both ends is what they need more than anything. If he's still available at their pick (which I doubt), Joe Alexander would be a steal for the Blazers. Gallinari probably doesn't fill any defensive needs, but I'd still say (if available) he'd be a more sensible pick (considering what they already have) than Brandon Rush. Rush might be very talented, but unless they plan on making Brandon Roy the full-time PG, he probably will get stuck without getting too many minutes. Again, they are definitely bringing SG Rudy Fernandez over from Spain, and he's supposed pretty much like Lottery pick value himself, so he'll expect (and probably will be given) minutes, or he'll just go back to Spain or demand a trade.

Reply #191107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754