Quagmire
Years ago

Don't think the draft will help you next year..

Just read an interesting article talking about how the draft really doesn't help teams the following year.
Case in point- between 2000-2006 only one player cracked the line up and started for a winning team as a rookie. (i was gonna tell you who but though some monday trivia would be more fun)

So for fans of good teams looking for the missing piece of the champ puzzle...hope your team trades the pick for a proven vet.

Derrick Rose- better than CP3? D-Will? both those guys teams didn't get better the year after they drafted them, not even the cavs did much better with LeBron.

So for fans of weak teams looking to turn it around, get yourself some patience and look forward to waiting 3 years before being competitive in the playoffs, and 4-5 years before any thought of champ glory.

Topic #16223 | Report this topic

dcanwade  
Years ago

Expect the Bulls to be the "next" traditional team to be up there !! .. feel sorry for the new small market teams ..they don't get a break from the NBA ie / t-Wolves & Memphis. Come on what other league has 2 teams dominating half of all the NBA Finals .. more then half in fact ... if Stern really doesn't want small market teams then the greedy bastard shouldn't expand so much and keep NBA to ONLY big cities LA, Phil,NY,Boston, Chicago etc .. instead of pulling a WWE on fans

Reply #191057 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Got a link to the article or was it old fashioned print style?

Reply #191060 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sorry, here tis,

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Eight-Rules-for-Draft-Night-Success-Let-History-Guide-2934/

Just scroll down to the heading-
"Do Not Expect Immediate Return on Your Draft Day Investment"

Reply #191061 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

For this very reason I enjoyed watching the Atlanta Hawks this season.

Holding and trading the right players will be the biggest challenge for this club this off-season and next.

Much like the Bulls in the mid 80's (albeit without the legend), Atlanta have drafted well and have a strong group of young players that will take them the distance or can be valuable trade bait for the 'missing veteran pieces'.

I expect their window for a Hawks championship will open in the 09 - 10 season (prediction Hornets v Hawks in the 09/10 finals).

Therefore it takes 2-3 drafts to built a solid team and 4-5 years to push for championships.

Reply #191064 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Spot on BigAds,
I like the Hawks ever since they signed Joe Johnson ( i liked him from the first time i saw him play for Boston) and then built around some great picks.

Is Bibby they guy to lead them though?

Can Marvin and J-smith play significant minutes when both are kind off like tweeners between a 3 and a 4?

Is Big Al a PF being asked to play C for lack of other options? I think he could be awesome if he was at his true PF pos all year...

Maybe time to pull the trigger on a Marvin for decent centre type trade? Dalembert?

Reply #191074 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Or if you're the clippers it takes 3 No.1 draft picks and around 20years to get to respectibility

Are they the worst franchise in the history of sports apart from the Dockers??

Reply #191091 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

shhhh ... lets pretend there's no scandal happening and continue our merry way .. just like stern wants .. sheep/fans going along and talking about things of small importance ... lakers-celtics in the finals pffttt how convenient .. bulls #1 draft .. how convenient .. just like first celtic-lakers in 80s followed by Jordan .... too bad for NBA LeBronz didn't just come out now ..then they could have their Jordan playing for Bulls !!!

Reply #191109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If stern rigs it why do NY still suck?

Reply #191126 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Bibby fills immediate needs at 1 spot but I expect Acie Law to take over in the 2nd half of next season, maybe season after.

Hawks need a centre who will be consistent (David Andersen , being an opportunist understands this quite well, hence his price tag). Alternatively a trade involving J-Chill or Williams could bring one to the team. Horford then moves to PF.

Law, Johnson, Smith, Horford and a solid centre is pretty good with bench made up of Bibby, Williams/Childress, Andersen and other vet/role players.

As I said, the challenge for the Hawks is keeping the team together and happy. If they do, they'll be awesome in two years, if not....did someone say Clippers (another team I unfortunately have a soft sport for).

Reply #191129 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

dcanwade;

I bet you have all the x-files shows on dvd at home.
Dude, heard stern say some pretty good things in his defense yesterday...
If he is pulling strings, then explain..
1/ Spurs winning every second finals series?
2/ Spurs winning the lottery and getting Duncan instead of Boston...
3/ The knicks sucking so bad...

I think he may have influenced playoff games with refs he can control but that is the limit of his powers... i think... (cue x-files music)

Reply #191174 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

I've known the NBA is rigged for 10 years. I can't believe it's taken so long for everyone to come around on this...but I"m supremely happy that it's finally happening.

It's a joke. Sterns a corrupt son of a #$#$&*(, and has ruined the game.

Superstars go to the line 20-30 times per night. The trades that happened to put Boston and LA in the finals this year. Come on. Gasol going to LA for a bag of chips, Garnet, Allen, Fisher the baby bailing out of his contract with the Jazz because LA needed another good player to make it.

In 2004 William Davidson's teams won the Stanley Cup, the WNBA finals and NBA championship all in the same year. Was it coincidence they are all owned by the same guy? Don't think so.

During the finals you could see the refs turn on Kobe Bryant like a pack of ravenous wolves (and I hate Kobe, so I was happy about it). The series before he was untouchable, then as soon as the finals started he was getting pummeled by the Pistons and not a single foul was called.

Honestly, how obvious can they be? Of course the corrupt Stern and Davidson were doing the dark backroom dealings make it all happen.

Stern runs the NBA like a ####, slapping fines on players and coaching for complaining about the obvious corruption. If he was interested in fair play he wouldn't play God and try to shut up every comment that is made.

I can't want for him to be sent to prison and get the NBA back to a game thats fun to

Reply #191180 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

how hard would it be to control? its already set up to be controlled. league policy is already established that prevents the officials from ever speaking to the media. you heavily fine every nba person who ever complains publicly about officials. you pay everyone money than they cannot make anywhere else AND the players money is guaranteed.

huge amounts of money is the very same reason the wrestlers in the wwf line up every week for a paycheck even though they know the sport is fake. they know it is just entertainment. seriously, where are some of these nba players going to go to make 6 million a year? you can put up with a lot a crap for $6 million a year. and no matter how you slice it, the nba, and all other sports, are simply entertainment.

for the officials it is very easy to cover it all up. you only need a few officials to pull it off, not all of them. once you get them in the corrupt group, they have no choice but to comply. if they blow the whistle on the nba, their life is ruined. first, you may never prove it and you become a joke. second, you do prove it and you are implicated in a huge crime ring cover up that will change the sports landscape forever and possibly get you jailed or killed.

lastly, what does anyone know about the hiring process? if you wanted to hire guys who would be willing to be corrupt, you will find them. we give a lot of credit to these guys being honest simply because they have been placed in a position of trust. if they were placed there specifically because they were not trustworthy, how would we know? some of these men may have been very bad men or underhanded businessmen before they became nba officials. we will never know.

this type of conspiracy / cover up is much easier than anyone thinks. it happens every day in big business. we just don't want to think it happens in something we are emotionally attached to.

Reply #191185 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

2002 Western Conference Finals (Lakers v. Kings) -- Game 5 favored the Kings, Game 6 heavily favored the Lakers. Stern rigged the officiating to extend this highly-anticipated series to 7 games. 7 games = more $$$. The Kings were the superior team but the Lakers went on to the Finals. Stern knew a Laker 3-peat would be a goldmine for the league.

2004 NBA Finals (Lakers v. Pistons) -- the officiating in the entire series heavily favored the Pistons, giving them a disproportionate number of FTs. Stern wanted to destroy the Lakers due to Kobe's rape allegations, which negatively affected the league's image.

2006 NBA Finals (Miami v. Mavericks) -- Wade received blatant preferential treatment from the refs and shattered the record for most FT attempted in a finals series. Apparently, Stern wanted to promote Wade as the new face of the NBA.

2008 NBA Finals (Lakers v. Celtics) -- game 2 was the worst-officiated game I've seen since game 6 of the 2002 WCF. Here's the kicker: Leon Powe had a monster game just when ABC dedicated a halftime segment to him. Coincidence? I think not.

Reply #191186 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

if it's all "conspriacy theory" why do a survey of over 200,000 NBA fans in the US - 80% think there something wrong with the NBA and have thought so for years?? .. ok ok be naive .. belive that politicians don't have vested interest and don't rig elections, beleive that banks and companies worth billions of dollars don;t rip consumers off ... and athletes don't take enhancement drugs .. but I say if it quakes like a duck, walks like a duck ...

Reply #191191 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Imagine if the NBA was run to produce the highest level of b-ball possible regardless of money making...

First thing- you wouldn't have 29-30 teams playing.
All that does is;

1/ Dilute the talent pool to the point where good players look great coz their stats are bigger.

2/ Create more courts to fill up for games.

You would have at most, a 20 team comp.
East and West conf, 5 in each div.
Top 8 teams play off in the finals.

Can you imagine the starting 5's that only having 20 teams would result in??? It would make Bostons big three a lottery team.

The comp would be awesome, amazing to watch and super competitive.

Oh well, there's a reason they call money the root of all evil...

Reply #191205 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

if you don't believe games are rigged watch this:
Game 6 kings-Lakers 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcS10rSrOhI

couldn't believe a blatant is was until I watch this again

The Kings and the Nets were great teams back then. played the game the way it was meant to be played
then stern and NBA shafts Sacramento fans big time
because its a small market

look at the perplexed looks on the Kings players in this game. look at the elbow Kobe gets away with on Bibby .. with seconds to go

I feel sorry for C-web, bibby, Stojo and Divac .... everybody was shouting about this game and not a thing
was done about it !!!

You say NBA is NOT corrupt ..when we already have a ref being charged with changing the course of the games !!! ..you really think his the only one !!!??

I love the game of basketball but what Stern has done to the NBA is just f**** it up. Hopefully they blow it up and start all over

Reply #191210 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

this is from the "horses" mouth

They were starting to wonder why the league is losing money, that's why. People pay good money to come watch these athletes play and they try to take over the ***** game."
-Shaq on live TV

BUT then Shaq may be ONLY be complaining now cause he doesn't get the "superstar" treatment anymore ..now he is old and useless !!!

Reply #191215 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

That footage is horrible to watch. Its like i'm watching my social team... we get stooged even harder...

Reply #191239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754