ANON12
Years ago

Aussie team to China?

Not sure if this has already been raised. Just been told about a tour by an "Australian" team to tour and play China prior to the Olympics. Organised/Coached by Andrew Gaze with John Rillie as Assistant. Players include? - Darren Ng, Oscar Forman, Matt Knight, Peter Crawford plus. Maybe Isaac knows more. Seems to have been kept fairly quiet.

Topic #16224 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Full team is:

Tragardh
Ng
Burston
Vanderjagt
Carter
Crawford
Loughton
Knight
Forman
Tovey

Playing two games over there (thought both were in Shanghai, but the hotels booked suggest that the games are in Ningbo on July 4 and in Wuxi on July 6).

I'm flying over on the 4th in time to catch the Wuxi game (get in on the evening of the 4th, but the game is 4-5 hours away by train so no chance of catching it).

Not sure who will be suiting for China. I think Yao will be rested until a few trial games just before the Games. Hopefully Yi and Yue play.

Reply #191066 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I believe it is pronounced

Yue and Yi...

Reply #191068 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think his name is actually pronounced a bit more like "soon you are" rather than like "sun you".

Reply #191070 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Isaac did you have to sell the sports car to afford the trip?

Reply #191099 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just went without buying petrol for a few days.

Reply #191108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Davidson was also asked to join the tour, but couldn't make it due to his upcoming wedding.

Reply #191115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How were these players selected? What was the criteria? Is this like an Australia A type team or something?

Reply #191120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Gaze chose the team.

Reply #191127 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

why wouldn't they put guys on the team who are missing out on the olympics this year like big Luke, Jingles (should he not be in the team), etc etc... may as well put as many of our young up coming guys in there as possibly, instead of guys who don't really have much of a chance in 4 years or next world champs

Reply #191164 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

It would be a sad state of affairs for Australian basketball if the Gaze Team beat China and then the Boomers lost in the Olympics (and I know that China will probably not field a full strength team for these games). Is this a forerunner for a new Gaze coaching dynasty - possibly the Boomers????

Reply #191176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

becos jingles WILL be in the olympic team :)

Reply #191177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ricey - it's an invitational tour, not really anything to do with the Boomers (I'm assuming). Schenscher only had his first scrimmage the other day coming back from injury and Ingles may still be in the mix (for the tour of Europe) when these guys leave for China in a week or so. A few of these guys were in the Boomers camp and only a handful who aren't in the squad were and didn't make the cut for the Iran team (Holmes, Gibson, etc) - might be that they weren't available for the trip.

Reply #191179 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Gaze went last year as well with a group of ABA players. Must want a stronger team this year.

Reply #191190 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Gaze is coaching... so i can only assume he made the bad decisions... i beg BA to never ever let him coach boomers

Reply #191335 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What bad decisions? Picking from available players (not working or on fixed holidays or already playing) for a funded, invitational tour? This is nothing to do with the Boomers - it's more like when the 36ers, Tigers, Kings, etc take teams over to play against China.

You've already suggested Schenscher who has only just started training again after his injury and Ingles who may still be required for the squad that goes to Europe. Any others?

Remember that there may be good reasons that Gaze didn't put them on the list and it's likely got nothing to do with him making "bad decisions".

Reply #191345 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Game report sourced from John Rillie at http://jronfire.blogspot.com/

Last night at the Wuxi Indoor Sports Arena the NBL All Stars, Andrew Gaze coached, went down to Team China 89-73.
A-team kept the Chinese team to 11 second quarter points -half time the All Stars had a one point lead (37-36).

The Chinese team managed to knock down some threes in the third quarter. It was former NBA player Wang Zhizhi that was the catalyst behind the revival of the Chinese offense.

During the fourth A-teamwe could not manage a significant run to cut into their lead. China hit a few threes in the last minute to blow the score out to a 16 point deficit.

Notes from the game:

New Zealand Breakers Oscar Forman got out of the blocks fast with eight first quarter points. He finished with 12pts, 2rebs, 2assists

South Dragons Matt Burston played a typical Matt Burston game. He has a knack of finding the ball around the rim. He was our leading scorer with 14pts and added 4rebs to his stats.

Only other player to reach double figures for us was Greg Vanderjagt. The currently unemployed Vanderjagt had 11pts and 4rebs for the night.

Current NBA player Yi Jianlian was China's leading scorer with 22pts and 8rebs. His athletic ability along with his skill set really identifies him as the best talent on the court.

Yao Ming did not play due to injury.

Rhys Carter had 6pts, 4assists and 3 steals.
Peter Crawford had 2pts, 2assts and 2stls.
Darren Ng had 6pts.
Cam Tragardh had 6pts.
Matt Knight had 2pts and 5 boards.
Cam Tovey went for 7pts, 5rebs and 2assists.
Alex Loughton had 7pts and 6rebs.

Tomorrow A-team move out and head to Ningbo for the last game on Sunday.

Reportedly Hoops correspondent on location in Shanghai remained on location in Shanghai after being unable to board a planned train to WuXi due to technical difficulties-a bums on seats issue-too many bums and not enough seats- a seemingly common problem in China.
Good luck to intrepid hoops correspondent Isaac.

Reply #192915 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754