Quagmire
Years ago

Where have all the great centers gone??

Quick- name the top 5 legit centers in the NBA. (Not PF's playing center coz no-one else on the team can!)

Dwight Howard...
Ming....
Bogut...
ah????
hmmm...
Shaq i guess...
Is Duncan a center?
Zadrunas Illgalossocosaus?
Eddie frickin Curry!!!???
Camby's a good defender? isn't he?

What happened to the days of-
Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Mourning, Mutombo and Shaq?

The center position is real thin in the modern NBA, so look for teams that actually have a domninant pivot player to be successful.

Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, the only centers who are throwbacks to the legendary 90's.

Not the best players, but clearly the best at the postition and therefore a very bright future for those two franchises.

Topic #16227 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Mourning was never good.

Reply #191080 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Gasol, Chandler...
This topic raises another interesting topic. The USA basketball team have pretty much picked their side now for the Olympics and it only has one legit centre in it, Dwight Howard. After that they have Bosh(PF) and Boozer(PF) running the 5 spot. They have passed on Chandler to include Prince in the side for defensive versatility, but I think they need another big.
They are running with a very small side in Kidd (PG), Paul(PG), Deron Williams(PG), Redd(SG), Wade(SG), Bryant(SG), Prince(SF), James(wherever!), Anthony(SF), Bosh(PF), Boozer(PF) and Howard(C).
Personally, drop Kidd from that squad. The only plus side of his inclusion would be his veteran status. When you have Paul and Williams in your team and LeBron (again can play any spot!), why do you need Kidd?

Reply #191081 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

US have not lost a game that Kidd has played. 38 - 0.

Coach K has personally stated that Kidd is like a coach on the floor.

Good enough reason there...

He wont be dropped.

Reply #191089 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Look at the style of the NBA these days though
Gone are the days of Penny to Shaq for a Jam
The classic PG or SG doesn't need the C to rack up 25pts and 12 reb anymore

But you never know it may revert back to a Big Mans game in a few years- it's all evolution

I ain't that old but how many dominating C's were there in the league in the 70's apart from Jabbar, Unseld and Cowens??

Reply #191090 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Kidd's only played at one Olympics, so the other 28 games were against teams that were never in with a legitimate chance, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Brazil, Canada. Argentina the only half decent team in that lot.

Reply #191093 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Kriss

Wilt Chamberlain
Mo Malone
Bill Walton
Willis Reed
Dave Cowans

Reply #191094 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The Chief was drafted in 1980 as well I believe..

Panther, I just answered your question mate, you wanted to know why have him...

Coach has stated he wants him, players all want him, he is a winner, a coach on the floor, he can teach the young guys, he is a "glue" guy.

Puerto Rico and Brazil are pretty decent.

Reply #191095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People's just forgot about what kidd can do cos he dropped his game after going to dallas, need to remember he was still getting triple doubles before leaving new jersey! his experience is far greater than d-wills to drop. plus, d-will more a scorer usa have enough of that, they need one of the best passer in the game and kidd is still one of the best if not the best (you have to say even in dallas kidd has still shown his passing skill like no other). this cp3 kidd combo will have 2 complete different style which will provide more versatility for usa.

i definitely agree with less great centers. but i think there's fair chance we're about to enter a new era with decent centers (leaving last decade)..

yao
dwight
bynum (like his prospects especially him working so hard with kareem! still needs to be tested, keep in mind he fully shutted down chandler so that takes tyson out of the equation; another thing is no other past greats was even playing in the nba at his current age!)
oden (another prospect to be tested)

you look at each of those eras with great centers, there's really only 4~6 great ones each decade with aging ones (in this case shaq, zo), so we potentially have 4 up and coming great big man i do think we're in good chance of entering another era with great big mans

Reply #191102 | Report this post

Years ago

Don't forget guys like Nate Thurmond, Walt Bellamy, Bob McAdoo, Artis Gilmore and (moving into the '80s) Jack Sikma when talking classic NBA centres. Everyone overlooks them, but they were up there with the best in their day. Sam Lacey was a decent Centre in the '70s as as well from what I've read.

Reply #191104 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

with all the soft touches "fouls" in the NBA you now have 7.0 Garnetts and Gasol ..all the face up softies .. real centrs are playing in Europe where they play by FIBA rules and is more physical in NBA and where refs folllow the rules and not rig games for superstars that get away with travels/carries and bail outs !!!

Reply #191110 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Yo!

Don't forget Mark Eaton from the Utah Jazz @ 7'4. He was a top centre.

Reply #191112 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mid 80s champ.

Reply #191114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are coming into/in the age of the great point guards now.
Paul
Williams
Nash
Kidd
Rose
Davis
etc.

Reply #191119 | Report this post

Years ago

"Gone are the days of Penny to Shaq for a Jam"

?????????????

Huh? CP3 to Chandler anyone?

Reply #191124 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Team USA obviously has an athletic advantadge over every nation in the world. Now i know the international game is based on the half court but when they turn it over they want big men who can run the floor. Having said that dropping Chandler for Prince was a terrible move IMO, Kobe and Lebron have proved this season they can guard the wings. I think you'll find the likes of Howard, Bosh, and Boozer can outrebound and stand their own against any big man the world after all they do every game.

Reply #191125 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

DB5.. The Chief was actually drafted in 1976 & played 4 years at Golden State before being traded to Boston. A great decision by the Warriors, much like that of the T-Wolves to trade KG... not! But hey, I'm a Celtics fan, we'll take 'em every time!

Reply #191132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree M Dizzle, there should be no worries they're gonna outrebound everybody else like what they always do!

Reply #191134 | Report this post

s30  
Years ago

i think people need to realise we're talking about 'great' centers, not 'solid' center..guys like bill walton, Mark Eaton etc were solid but not great! great are like wilt, ewing, jabaar, shaq, malone etc. because if you're looking at solid centers, the list'll extend to guys like bogut, chandler etc. so i think people needs to first differentiate who are the greats and solids...before actually saying there's less great centers around

furthermore, maybe the blossom at guard spot has taken away the attention down low post. and i also believe more advanced physical training has somewhat an effect to the game. as today, not only the centers are big, the guards are also fairly 'big' strength wise. so the game is more even in that not only the big man bossing people around because they're the strongest. guards are know better built up too.

Reply #191135 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Is everyone forgetting Bynum.........if he comes back strong, he will be the best Ctr in the NBA

Same can be said about Oden

Reply #191141 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

HA

is that a joke Fezlington?

Reply #191145 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Bill Walton only average.... Mmmm interestin call that... One of the NBA's top 50 of All time, NBA MVP, Finals MVP, not to mention his acheivements at UCLA. A little credit needs to be given to him considering the injuries that plagued his career.IMO His overall record matches up pretty well to the other greats.

Reply #191147 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I answered Walton to the question of "were there many dominating C's in the league in the 70s?". The guys I stated all dominated the centre at position during the 70s. I only just noticed you had already said Cowans kriss, doh.

Oops, you are correct lethal5.

Good to hear you are still here Fez..

Reply #191148 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I can't believe we're discussing great centers and no-one has mentioned ARVYDAS SABONIS yet. What's wrong with you people? :)

s30, Bill Walton was great in the 70s - he led the Blazers to a championship - but then his feet gave out on him, and he was just a solid backup after that, when he could get on the court, that is.

I'm struggling to think of other dominant centres over the years, other than those already named. Rik Smits? James Donaldson? Chocolate Thunder from the planet Lovetron?

I can think of plenty of busts at center though. Joe Barely Cares (a #1 overall pick - McHale went at #3!), Chris Washout (#3 pick), Sam Bowie (#2, as we all know...!), Benoit Benjamin (#3), Pervis Ellison (#1), Dinner Bell Mel Turpin (#6), Kwame Brown(#1), Kandi Man(#1), Steve Stipanovich(#2), Shawn Bradley (#2), Big Country (later "Small Continent") Reeves (#6), Donnie Darko (#2), Rafael Araujo (#8). I'll even throw in Dwayne Schintzius, even though he was a late draft pick, but he still woefully underachieved.

Reply #191149 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Greg "even my mum must think I am ugly" Ostertag.

Reply #191152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about "The Dream"? Best footwork of any big, past or present, could defend guards when required. Would school any big these days regardless of size or athleticism.

KG or Duncan would be closest in the modern era but they are a PF.

Reply #191153 | Report this post

s30  
Years ago

I like the chances of Bynum as he is the youngest to shine in NBA when comparing to all names mentioned above...you have to remember, durability and consistency is also an important factor when determining greatness; many players have 1 or 2 all star seasons then just vanishes eg. antoine walker, michael finely, jimmy jackson. the elite class of great players can meet that criteria eg. mj coming back from his knee surgery, kar malone before his last season etc. so been durable is really part of the game and is what bumps individual from one class to another!

so maybe to put someone in the class of greatness you'll also need to consider the number of years one was playing at star caliber? (eg. at least 10 years)

Reply #191158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u guess shaq?
come on Shaq has been dominating for over 10 years and u guess shaq... where u been?

Reply #191159 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

dwight is not a center... he is a power forward playing center

Reply #191163 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What is all the hype over Andrew Bynum???

Is he really that good? People are talking like he is a big deal and that he dominates etc... i just don't see it.. perhaps its coz i've grown up listening to the hype around young players and i'm just growing more and more acustomed to them turning into good, not great, players..

And for my two cents Kidd should be in the olympics coz speed will be less of an issue so he is going to be fine in D, also, as stated many times, he is a coach on the court and this is never more valuable than when you have a team playing together for the first time and thrust straight into olympic compitition. They will need vets to run the show.

Reply #191175 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

predict that the US team will struggle in the Olympics .. cause the refs in the Olympics DO call travels, allow more physical plays with no bail outs and have no preferential treatments for "superstars" like the NBA. They may still win it all due to talent but there will be a few close games. The games can't be controlled by refs quite as much Stern does the NBA .... but then again the Olympics is as much a BIG business as NBA so who knows ... but have better chance at Olympics to be fair as basketball is NOT the only sport in town in the Olympics

Reply #191187 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

as for centers ..the NBA really only has Yao Ming and Howard.You could add Duncan there when he takes that position. Shaq is pretty much on his last legs. With the softy rules of the NBA these days the pivot plays arent coming through anymore .. instead you are getting 7.0 ft jump shooters. The last era of the great NBA centres were the days of Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson ...

Reply #191189 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

you have to watch what bynum does to know why there's so much hype on him, don't comment "if" you haven't done that.

you check out his efficiency before he was injured, he was pretty much giving you a DOUBLE-DOUBLE in 20min! now he's only turning 21 this year with 2 1/2 year nba experience already with 1/2 of it blossoming, considering his mentor kareem only entered the league when he was 22...

you do the math right there. plus someone within the club told me about his work ethics (where most youngsters fall). they claim he's the hardest worker next to kobe, and is really smart enough to put his ego down and value kareem's mentoring. while busts like kwame at the time wouldn't even bother turn up to the gym in the off season. expectation for him in the coming season is 15/12 average, and they believe it's fairly achieveable with gasol (who is also expecting to be learning a thing or two from kareem aftering olympics) on the line up too, bynum may be able to rack up offensive boards. Of course, he needs to make the full recovery first and they expects him to.

btw just checked up, USA's going REALLY small with only 1 center in Dwight who's really a power forward!!!

Reply #191193 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

also, reading about bill walton thought i might add something about him, apparently the team calls luke "bill's mistake"~~~

Reply #191194 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Patrick Ewing is the greatest centre of all-time

Hakeem Olajuwon is the 2nd best

Reply #191212 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Patrick Ewing...pffft.

I think you are forgetting about Wilt and Kareem there champ. Take off Isiah's glasses mate.

Reply #191216 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

DB5!

I'm just being biased because Ewing is my all-time favourite.

Kareem and Wilt are legends as is Bill Russell.

I think Wilt's is the best centre ever and better than Shaq.

If Wilt was around in Shaq's era, he'd dominate over and over.

Reply #191228 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol, that's why I said take Isiah's glasses off.

Cannot believe I didn't name Bill with the other 2!

Reply #191232 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey Quagmire, I'd like to say that Bynum is all hype, but I can see why people are excited by him.

His first two seasons were pretty uninspiring, but check out his game by game performances in the season just gone and you will see he was really having a breakout year until he did his knee.

He's definitely shown he can be a top centre, he just needs to play himself back in following his injury and ramp up his consistency, especially against the better teams. I remember for example that he was shut down both times by Boston during the season and had weaker stat lines against defensive teams like Detroit and San Antonio.

But I'd say with his size, athleticism, Kareem's coaching, reported work ethic and guys like Gasol and Kobe to take the pressure off on the court, he has a pretty good chance of succeeding.

If karma has anything to do with it though, the Lakers should be forced to pay their luck forward from the Gasol 'trade' and give Bynum to Sactown (make up for 2001), Milwaukee (make up for Kareem), Philly (make up for Wilt)!!! Hehehe

Reply #191244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olajuwon the greatest could do it all

Reply #191253 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Bynum will be an above average pro, but i still don't think he will be a top flight center, when i think of great centers, i think of guys who consistantly drop 20/10 and block 2-5 shots on teams whose sole focus is to stop THEM, not their team-mates...

There just aren't any of those guys left outside of Dwight...

And Duncan too...if you call him a center...i do.

Reply #191254 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

bynum's a 20/10 prospect who also is averaging 2+ blocks LOOK at the minutes he's played; in fact a retired lakers told me he reckon bynum'd be the next "man" for lakers after kobe, so we'll have to wait and see!

Reply #191259 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Just coz your retired doesn't mean you have a clue- look at Isiah...

We'll wait and see obviously, but my tip is Bynum will never be a top flight center. Not even close really.

Reply #191262 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think you're gonna get burned on this one Quagmire. Its a lot easier to be a top flight centre now when good big guys are thin on the ground.

Bynum has everything going for him and he already was among the top rebounders and blockers last season. I think the only way he will fail is if he doesn't have the right work ethic and mindset to succeed.

I see him as a top flight C within a couple of years along with Yao, Dwight and Oden, with guys like Bogut, Chandler and Z in the next tier. Defensively Perkins has now proved he is right up there too.

Reply #191266 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

i weren't a player, i was talking to one, here's some more stats for you on his current career highs all achieved THIS season before injured:

pts: 28 against Phoenix (Amare?)
rebounds: 17 against Bucks (Bogut?)
blocks: 7 against Magic (Howard?)

Lakers vs Spurs (13/11; the only one Bynum played against Duncan this season; LA win)
Bynum:
FG:4-5,11pts,12rb,1bl,27min
Duncan:
FG:2-13,5pts,5rb,3bl,30.5min

only big man he couldn't stand out was against Yao. also 18 double-doubles in 35 games, a lot were missed by like couple of rebounds or points cos he really didn't get enough minutes.

average this season: 13.1pts,10.2rb,63%FG,2.1bl

that's already better than most bigs today, he missed too many games? If NBA plays 30+ games like NBL, that'd be a solid, efficient season!

keep in mind there's still lot more he's working on, his only weapon now is just put backs and alleys but heard he's developing a decent hook too and needs to develop lot better face up game also. so it ain't like he shines against average joes, he's outplayed stars.

Reply #191270 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So who do you get the inside word from la boy?

"in fact a retired lakers told me he reckon bynum'd be the next "man" for lakers after kobe"

Reply #191284 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

The fact is we are evaluating a guy on less than half a season, who is coming off knee surgery, and is 20 yrs old.

Lets wait til half way through next season and see how is he developing, and if he is able to stay on the floor. Then we can continue his evaluation..

Reply #191285 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Throw all the stats you want at me and i'm sticking to my statements- he will be a solid pro, no-where near top flight center material.

His career highs are what top flights should get every couple of games.

And when are people gonna stop telling me how old players are??? like its some kind of hint to steady improvement. Are you all sport agents or something coz i ain't buying.

Dwight showed it from day one. As did Hakeem, Duncan, KG... all of em. Show me a player who became a franchise player after 3 years of being a role guy- doesn't happen.

"Heard he's developing a decent hook..."

That reads on a ton of big guys NBA tombstones...

right next to;

"needs to develop lot better face up game"

Reply #191296 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

somebody from the players' management group who works closely with progress of the each athletes.i did work experience with a few guys of this role from 3 different teams and la was 1 of them.

Reply #191297 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Jermaine O'Neal, Karl Malone, Gilbert Arenas, Dwight Howard (he weren't this dominant from day one), Kobe, T-MAC there's way too many who became franchise player after

Reply #191300 | Report this post

Years ago

Jermaine O'Neal wasn't dominant as soon as he got to Indiana either. He was good, but it still took him a couple of seasons with the Pacers before he was an All-Star.

Reply #191360 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I guess my definition of great is different to some.
Dwight was becoming a monster at the end of his first season, not halfway through his third.
Malone always delivered, ask his many kids...
Arenas is good, not great, besides- his second season he was getting 18/6/5.
Bryant was getting 15/3/3 in 26 off the bench his second season..

Now T-mac is one that exploded in his 4th season.
So you got one.

Again, we will have to wait and see but i think Bynums room for improvement is not as large as people would have you beleive. He will be awesome one game but i still see him having big nights off...

My prediction... a fitter version of Eddie Curry.

Reply #191389 | Report this post

knickers  
Years ago

y don u spend some time lookin up each game he was playin before he went down. btw at least for 1/2 the season he played, age-age comparison, he wins against howard. u got no combak 4 tha dude..yo can jus try get urself out all holes with arguments tha jus 2 bias. eg malone was OLD in his 2nd yr (wat? 15pts average?) bynums delivered nite after nite! i aint even lakers fan.

Reply #191413 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

We'll see ;-)

Reply #191422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754