Tayshaun Prince
Michael Redd
Dwyane Wade
Deron Williams

Thoughts?

Topic #16232 | Report this topic

mark  
Years ago

You could argue that Tyson Chandler is a bit unlucky not to make it given that they only really have Dwight Howard as proper big man.

He might have made it in place of Prince.

Still its the best Team USA in quite a while.

Reply #191206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If possible I would've like to add the untested Greg Oden assuming he's a big prescence down low on the defensive end cos that's where this team may struggle. or maybe they're just so athletic it doesn't worry them anyway...

Reply #191208 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

They have selected a quick and athletic team.

Chandler is unlucky not to receive a place.

I think the lack of big men will hurt a bit especially when one of the current bigs gets into foul trouble.

Reply #191211 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Gotta hope people are happy to sit on the bench....geez, who do you start, Paul, Williams, or Kidd ?

Reply #191213 | Report this post

Cantelope  
Years ago

I might've been living under a rock or something but can anyone tell me why theres no Amare or KG?

Reply #191214 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Amare said no. He will be too tired.

Kidd will start, teach Paul and Williams how to play international basketball.

Reply #191218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would get rid of Prince and Redd, Throw in Chandler and (KG, although i assume he is retired from Int Bball. so) Amare.

CP/Deron/Kidd
Kobe/Wade
Lebron/Melo
(KG)Amare/Bosh/Boozer
Dwight/Chandler

That is a ridiculously good team.

Reply #191220 | Report this post

BarkoftheDog  
Years ago

the team will be more like this:
PG - Kidd / CP3 / Deron
SG - Kobe / Redd / Wade
SF - Lebron / Prince
PF - Melo / Boozer
C - Dwight / Bosh

i dunno why Wade was included thoughh.

i'd take him out and put Chandler in.

Reply #191222 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I guess they picked three PGs to cover injury. I think PG is probably the most important position on a team of stars. Imagine if they only picked two and one then got injured in the first game. Who runs point when your only fit PG needs a break? Kobe? Redd? LBJ? That would be a disaster whichever way you look at it.

The hard part will be if all 3 stay healthy. You can't give them all equal minutes (or even any minutes for one of them?). You just need to hope that guys understand the situation and are happy with it. If they are not playing they need to do what KG did when he was resting this year - wave that towel like there is no tomorrow. That stuff is contagious - who knows maybe even Kobe will start jumping up and down on the sidelines cheering for his team mates when he is off.

Reply #191223 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

To me it looks like a very soft team. Extremely talented but soft. There is no defensive big, and no other big outside of Dwight.

Personally I'd be leaving Bosh behind for Chandler and Wade behind for Marion. There are enough slashers and players that can create their own shot and Wade is coming of a long term injury. Marion can play the PF is required.

If Brand was proven healthy then Wade for Brand, but the initial squad of 23 lacked power forwards.

Reply #191227 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Unfortunately you need to include Redd in the team or at least a good three point shooter. The USA team were exposed through this last olympics when they had no shooters and every team played zone against them. I personally would have had Ray Allen instead of Redd, but understandably Allen and KG (mentioned above) will be partying their ar*es off for the next 2 months!

Reply #191229 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agree with all that TR.

Redd has to stay, he is the only pure shooter on that team. International 'ball is all about penetrate and pitch. If anything, they are lacking another shooter. Kobe has been shooting the 3 well though in the playoffs.

Reply #191230 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

ESPN said Redd was their token 'zone-breaker' because its what killed them in the last few touranments.

I say they take the entire Celtics team and see if anyone can score on them

Reply #191233 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

And whats wrong with Bosh TR? Hes probably TALENT wise with this best PF in the game because he can score in so many ways, is so agile and quick, hits any jumpshot, has great post moves...and you said inside defense is the reason for booting him, Bosh is a good defender, I'd be showing Boozer the door first for Chandler, thats if any changes are neccessary.

And watching Kidd in team USA, or in the all-star teams makes you realise how good he is, USA play Australia on August 5th

Reply #191234 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

These guys play in the NBA! As if they all cant consistently hit the 3ball? Seriously! They get paid millions of dollars and play and train every day of the week for up to 9 months a year - surely a typical guard can hit an open three. Taking Redd as the designated "Zone - Breaker" is a load of bullsh*t.

Redd for Chandler, get some defence in there!

Reply #191252 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

I just want to see the following:

Mills vs Paul
Newley vs Bryant
Bogut vs Howard

USA teams looking quite good.

Reply #191269 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Is this the first time that there hasn't been a white guy on the team?

(And let's not start that whole Jason Kidd is white thing again?)

Reply #191275 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Okay hustle, no Redd, who shoots the 3 then?

You shoot down a theory, then add a big man, do they give Chandler the game winning 3 then?

Reply #191286 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I think you'll find Wade is in the team because when USA basketball was stuggling to get the league's best to play Wade, along with Melo and Lebron made a long term commitment to the program to be the faces of the team for years to come. He's gonna have to stink it up pretty bad to lose his spot.

Reply #191288 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with Bosh at all Jules. I like the kid and he'll do fine. I just would of preferred more size and muscle at the back. There are going to be times where Bosh has to play in the middle and he'll get pushed around by the solid bigger European centers. It could work to USA advantage, quicker and more athletic, but I also see one game plan in the roster... Run and Gun, which has been proven in the past not to work in international basketball.

They don't have a back-to-the-basket threat. Dwight is a brute and will dominate, but after him there is zero. Too many nice guys in this team.

Reply #191289 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry for the double post. Another reason why I'd be taking Chandler is due to the below average defense of some of the other player on the roster. Boozer can't defend a tree, Redd is a total matador and in international ball I can see Dwight being fouled out in 20 minutes as the only solid big. Who defends the rim in this squad outside of Dwight. Where is the muscle in this squad?? Who's gonna be the defensive enforcer??

There is enough offense to carry Chandler and he will defend the rim, he will change shots and he will hit the boards. Three things I see lacking in the current squad.

You are correct Jules, I did forget about Boozer being in the squad, so Bosh now gets his ride to Beijing whilst Boozer stays home. Drop Boozer and add Chandler.

Reply #191293 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Excellent, NOW I agree

Reply #191301 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I agree with TR, I don't think the USA have enough muscle in that squad. I guess they will be relying on some of the players being able to adapt to being slightly out of position. I'm not convinced on the teams perimeter shooting either which is very important in international comp. I don't know much about the injury status personal commitment of some players.. ie where is Duncan? Would like to have seen a few more team orientated players in there..

Redd out for Mike Miller - Miller can do everything Redd can plus he doesn't need the ball as much and IMO seems a better team man.
Boozer out for Chandler - For defense and athleticism. Scoring wont be a problem for the US so may as well get some extra grunt in there.
Prince out for Battier - I don't know if Prince will get much time with that squad, so go for someone who offers something a bit different with great defense and team work and who is still capable of spreading the floor with the 3 ball.

Reply #191310 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

DB5 surely a game winning three could come from Lebron, Kobe, Williams, Anthony or CP3??

Are you serious?

Reply #191319 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

how do the celtics win the title, yet no one is supposedly good enough for team USA?

not a celts fan, but that is a bit strange.

Reply #191348 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

For those un-aware after the loss in Athens Team USA asked for a long term committment from players to try and build a gold medal winning team for years to come. A handfull top flight players such as garnett, and duncan did not give this committment initially leaving them unable to suit up at all as they were not selected in the initial squad of 35, from memory.

Reply #191376 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah, I am serious.

I had already stated Kobe is shooting it well, I wouldn't give Lebron the game winning 3 (he struggles to hit mid range consistently), Deron wont be on the court, Paul may be. Options are limited.

TC is on the ball with Battier. He definately should be on the team instead of Prince.

Reply #191395 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

think this "team" will dissapoint... too individually based

Reply #191475 | Report this post

WHERES HEDO TURKOGLU?!?!?!

Reply #191485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754