Quagmire
Years ago

Who is the best rookie not named Beasley or Rose?

The top two is really lock down at this stage.
It's just a matter of whether or not its chicago and miami making the choices after the trade smoke clears.

So who's the best of the rest?

Mayo?
Alexander?
Love?
Gordon?

Seems there are heaps of guys in the 6'3-6'4 range and they will find it tough in the NBA unless they go to a team that doesn't need a tradish point man.

You can get away being that height and playing SG in college, almost impossible in the NBA. They will play against guys just as quick but 2-3 inches taller..

So after all this draft talk, is this really a good draft at all? Is the reason there is so much debate over who is going where because they are all good players- or coz they are all average at best..

I see guards playing out of position, centers that need some massive time to develop, if they ever do, and forwards that are tweeners or skilled but lack the athletic side.

Some players i think are NBA ready-

DJ Augustine- no superstar, not even a star, just a solid pro who could round out a solid NBA team. No real weakness is his real strength.

Brandon Rush- Got the height to play SG, can lock down defend and hit the trey. Again, never gonna be a star- but could be so valuable to a team. Think Kendall Gill.

Darrell Arthur- Modern foward in that he is more face up, has potential and with increased demand of the NBA he could be a great rebounding, running PF. Joe Smith?

Roy Hibbert- legit size, coached well in college.

Topic #16238 | Report this topic

Run TMC  
Years ago

Joe Smith was "a great rebounding, running PF"?

Reply #191250 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

In his youth...

Reply #191255 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Jawai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #191291 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

I think OJ Mayo has the potential to come in and make an impact immediately.
Love is too small to be a center, and yet nto athletic enough and fast enough to be a forward-i struggle to see what position he can actually play

I honestly think that Jawai can make more of an impact than Love. This is because Jawai has the athleticism that Love doesn't have. Jawai could use his athleticism and speed to get to the rack and use his size and ups to finish strong. Love can get good positioning and get into nice scoring areas, but his lack of athleticism will mean that on many occassions, his shot will get blocked or he wil be put off his shot and as a result miss.

I like Brandon Rush, coz he got the height, shooting ability and still has the speed to get to the rack. Going into the NBA won't be as daunting for him compared with alot of the guys who are 6"4 who will lack the height to play SG, and will lack the speed to play SG. Fact is : The 6"3/6"4 rookies don't have a real advantage because they are going to be matching up against 6"6 guards who have a height advantage e.g Rip Hamilton (6"7 i think.??). Also the 6"3/6"4 rookies dont have the speed advantage. The SG's in the NBA are also very quick e.g Rudy Gay-much taller than the guards from this draft class.
Rookie guards just got to work hard in the off-season to work on speed, to make up that disadvantage which they have coming into the league.

Reply #191332 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Height doesn't matter, it's all about armspan. Beasly is 6,7 but he's got a 7 foot armspan, so he can rebound, block, release shots as well and as high as 7 footers.

Reply #191349 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Not really Mr Clutch, his shoulders will be a fair bit lower than those of a 7 footer so an equal arm span will still leave him well behind the 7 footer when it comes to those things you mentioned.

Reply #191353 | Report this post

Years ago

The best rookies besides Derrick Michael Beasley will be OJ Mayo and Joe Alexander. Alexander will be the steal of the draft IMO.

Reply #191362 | Report this post

Years ago

The best rookies besides Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley will be OJ Mayo and Joe Alexander. Alexander will be the steal of the draft IMO.

Reply #191364 | Report this post

Years ago

Eric Gordon is also an awesome athlete with long arms and great skills, so he'll overcome being just a 6'3" Shooting Guard.

Reply #191366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:28 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754