unlvrebelx
Years ago

UNLV plays six games in Australia from tomorrow

My university (that I'm alumni of) is playing here in Australia starting tomorrow (June 26th)..you can see the schedule at there official website:

http://unlvrebels.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/08-unlv-down-under.html

First game is against the Sutherland Sharks tomorrow night...

If you don't know about UNLV, its the 3rd winningest program in the history of college basketball (there's 365 college basketball teams in the U.S. Division 1). UNLV has been to four final fours and won one national championship (1990). Coached by former NBA coach Lon Kruger List of Players that played at UNLV:

Shawn Marion
Mark Dickel
JR Rider, Isaiah Rider
Greg Anthony
Larry Johnson
Reggie Theus
Stacey Augmon
Marcus Banks
Brian Goorjian (Greg's brother)
Ed Goorjian (coached at UNLV under fellow Armenian, Jerry Tarkanian)
Many other NBA players have passed through UNLV's ranks

Right now, the Miami Heat of the NBA have three UNLV alumni on their team: Marcus Banks, Joel Anthony and Shawn Marion

Topic #16252 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Interesting! Might see if I can make it one of the games.

Thanks for the info :)

Reply #191408 | Report this post

unlvrebelx  
Years ago

You should go, we've got a really good team this year. Probably few that will be in the NBA in a year or two.

Here's the info:

http://linky.com.au/4flmi

Reply #191409 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Im not worried about UNLV, im worried about the teams you are playing :P

I wonder who these "QLD ALL-STARS" are.

Reply #191410 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Stacey Augmon - there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Anyone remember that massive tip dunk he did off a missed free throw where he came flying in from the 3 point line ...

"Plastic man from out of nowhere!"

Reply #191411 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

kad, it'd be a bunch of QABL guys and anyone else available at the time.

Reply #191412 | Report this post

gfg  
Years ago

hey im on gold coast will the game v qld all stars be here or brisbane?

Reply #191456 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

UNLV Running Rebels

or

the Hot Tub Gang!

Reply #191461 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Reading the link, it refers to the University of Houston and Phi Slama Jama. What does that have to do with UNLV???

Reply #191488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dare someone to name two CURRENT UNLV players without looking it up :-P

Reply #191497 | Report this post

unlvrebelx  
Years ago

the reference to Houston is a mistake, Houston and the Phi Slama Jama has nothing to do with UNLV.

About naming the players, I could, obviously, name the whole team without looking; but I'm here for a few weeks on business. I scheduled the trip for this time on purpose though, so I could kill two birds with one stone.

Players to look at:

Jovan "Wink" Adams, Shooting Guard, is our shooting guard and a heckuva a player. May be a bit too short to play shooting guard in the NBA, but has a good shot making it in the league as a point. Check out these videos at youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8_VCBRrSUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4XHJhf2iI0

Joe Darger, Small Forward/Shooting Guard, is a very interesting player. He comes from a polygamous family out of Utah. His Dad has two wives, and he has 17 siblings. Joe's one of the best pure shooter's in the college game, and one of the better shooters UNLV has ever had. They call him Dagger instead of Darger because he puts the Dagger in the other team with his outside shooting.

Here's a link from UNLV's tournament win last year in the first round...there's a bunch of Darger highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFUEjhEpvg

Beas Hamga, Center, is a newcomer on the team, and a legit 7 footer with great shot blocking ability. He's originally out of Africa but played high school in the states. Hamga was one of the top 10 high school center recruits in the states.

Here's Beas:

Providing the team is rested and adjusted from jet lag, I promise you disappointed if you come out to a game. This team was EASILY one of the best defensive teams in college basketball last year, and should be again this year. Coach Kruger was the head coach at the Atlanta Hawks for a few years, before moving to New York to be an assistant with the Knicks...before the NBA he coached 3 different colleges to the NCAA (college) tournament, and now is one of only two coaches to lead 4 different teams to the NCAA tournament. He's an incredible coach. I'm as giddy as child on Christmas morning about seeing this game tomorrow.....

I only wish the Tall Blacks v. Australian National team game wasn't on at the same time. Too bad, I really want to see Mark Dickel, former UNLV point guard, play with NZ. I also want to see Ogilvy play....I'm very high on Ogilvy, he's a special player for you guys.

Reply #191520 | Report this post

unlvrebelx  
Years ago

bump...don't forget, all starts Thursday night

Reply #191527 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Schedule for all 6 games please??? Opposition, Dates, times and venues.

Reply #191541 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

"I promise you disappointed if you come out to a game"

Sounds like a Port Adelaide home match!

Reply #191561 | Report this post

unlvrebelx  
Years ago

Thur. June 26, 8:00pm - UNLV at Sutherland Sharks, Sutherland Basetball Stadium, Waratah Park

Fri. June 27, 7:30pm - UNLV at Illawara Seahawks, Snakepit (Beaton Basketball, Foleys Road, Gwynneville)

Sat. June 28, 4:00pm - UNLV at West Sydney Razorbacks, The Kings School, Pennants Hill Rd., Parramatta

Mon. June 30, 7:30pm - UNLV at Queensland All-Stars, Queensland Sports Centre, Mains & Kessels Roads, Nathan, Queensland

Tue. July 1, 7:30pm - UNLV at South West Metro Pirates, Queensland Sports Centre, Mains & Kessels Roads, Nathan, Queensland

Wed. July 2, 6:00pm - UNLV at Cairns Marlins, First Australian Basketball Co., 289 Aumuller St., Cairns

Reply #191564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754