Skin
Years ago

O'Neal Trade

Jermaine O'Neal is very close to becoming the newest member of the Raptors as Indiana and Toronto have agreed in principle to a blockbuster trade, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

The Pacers will reportedly send O'Neal to the Raptors in exchange for T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th pick in Thursday night's draft.

The teams have been going back-and-forth with medical information on O'Neal's knee and Ford's neck all week.

Toronto will also send another role player to Indiana to match up with O'Neal's salary.

Topic #16263 | Report this topic

speedy  
Years ago

WHAT !!?? Shaq traded again !!! .. oh that O'Neal .. the skinny one .. not the rapper that can't shoot FTs

Reply #191548 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Rumoured to be Maceo Baston as the filler.

Reply #191551 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I just can't see why any team would trade to get O'Neal, he is very injury prone and is definitely on the downward spiral in form.

Reply #191557 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

He certainly hasn't had a good run the last few years. But at least a few of his injuries have been from freak occurrences like hyper extending knees and elbows due to contact in games.

Its certainly a risk, but if he even gets back to 75% percent of his peak, he would form a formidable front court with Bosh. Until he got hurt last season he was leading the NBA in blocks and charges taken, which is just about unheard of.

Another rumour is that this trade is dependent on the player that the Pacers want being available with the #17 pick.

Reply #191567 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I reckon its a risk worth taking for Toronto, Panther. If the trade goes through, he has obviously convinced the Raptors doctors that he can play.

Worst case scenario, he breaks down and only plays half a season, the Raptors are as good as they were last year, and they have a large expiring contract the following year to use as a very valuable trading chip.

Best case, his body has finally got the rest it needed and he is able to play like the old Jermaine - 20ppg, 10rpg, 2bpg - taking pressure off Bosh offensively and creating a tandem that has the potential to form a very formidable, agile keyway defence.

If these guys gel on both ends, the Raptors could challenge for the Eastern Conference for the next two years. Then they can assess their situation and either let O'Neal walk or try to sign him to a much more reasonable contract for his final years in the league.

On the other hand, if I were the Pacers, I don't know that I would make this deal. I still think O'Neal is the only player on their roster you could build a contender around. Big men like him don't come around often so I wouldn't give him up for a guy like TJ Ford. Chris Paul, yeah, but that aint happening!

Still, the rumours have been strong for a long time, so I guess Bird has given up on Jermaine for whatever reason and will happily trade him for 40c in the dollar.

Just had a thought, why didn't the Bucks offer the #8 and Villanueva or Yi (+ bad contract) for O'Neal?! I think that could be a better deal for the Pacers and Bucks. Oh well, too late now...

Reply #191572 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Who the hell do they want at pick 17 that is worth trading a perenial all-star for!!!???

The deal hinges on a certain player being available...who? I know his stock is dropping but i just don't see Beasley skidding to 17th ;-)

Reply #191575 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

That's real interesting Beantown.I would LOVE to see O'Neal to Bucks, they may be pretty decent if that's the case. In fact they should've tried that offer since there's chance Yi may not re-sign as he don't quite like Bucks anyway. And IF a deal like that went through...Bogut,O'Neal, Redd that'd be a potential big three right there for you, maybe you should go work as a GM haha

If Toranto trade goes through, I'd think Toranto'd get the better of the trade, Bosh-O'Neal duo would be a force down low over in the East. A bad O'Neal can still deliver a 10-10 (K Malone at Lakers complimenting Shaq, he only had a 14-10 and was great for the team at the time) so that should be a great compliment for Bosh.

Reply #191577 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Indiana are looking for a starting PG as Tinsley is broken. Thats why they dodn't trade for yet another under performing 3 man (seee Bucks).

Reply #191579 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Did I ever mention the time I went for the Grizzlies job? Unfortunately they went with Chris Wallace.

I told them that I thought Gasol was pretty good. They said "interviews over".

Next day, Michael Heisley called me up and said "missed it by THAT much".

Reply #191581 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Shin Splints, I realise they need a PG to replace Tinsley, but if you're going to give away your only franchise player in O'Neal, why not trash things properly to ensure you get good draft picks for a couple of years?

Part of the deal I was suggesting was getting the #8 instead of the #17. They could probably draft DJ Augustin or perhaps Westbrook there and get a quality PG of the future that way.

Charlie V just gives them a stop gap who could play PF and entertain the fans while they are rebuilding. He is perfect, because he comes on a cheap rookie contract and hoepfully won't be good enough to hurt their drafting position too much.

Obviously, Bird has something else in mind though. I was just throwing that out there as an interesting option that I would take over the TJ Ford one. I like it mainly because it might help Bogut out a lot, having defences keying in on O'Neal all the time.

Reply #191585 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Could Toronto have a bigger win than this for a trade option?
They get two years to test out o'neal. See if he can perform, after two, either cut him and use the cap room to replace him or trade him to a team mid season for goods because the other team may want the cap relief- aka "Brooklyn" Nets.

Plus they get rid of Ford who despite the positives, is still a Rondo esc player without a big three, which is pretty average at best really.

Calderon now takes over the point and will be good(not great) for them.

And the answer to my earlier question is that there is no-one at pick 17 that is going to help a team this year, and the chances of that player even being in the league after 5 years is 50/50.

Reply #191587 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Gonna be interesting on where tinsely goes now that they will have T.J

Reply #191620 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754