The_Champ33
Years ago

Mayo heads to Memphis, Love to Minnesota

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3463045

Topic #16280 | Report this topic

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I will give McHale the benefit of the doubt on this... BUT - if Mayo ends up being a player (read: all star level guy) and Love becomes the second coming of Danny ferry McHale should be tarred and feathered and run out of Minny (or worse)...

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this - cause they (should know what they are doing) but it is a ballsy trade to make considering the reaction it was gauranteed to engender...

Reply #191888 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Makes a bit more sense when you see that Miller is included, and they offload Cardinal's contract:

Two league sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves have reached an agreement in principle with the Memphis Grizzlies that will send the draft rights to Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to the Grizzlies in return for the draft rights to Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.

Reply #191890 | Report this post

"Wolves GM Kevin McHale was infatuated with Love"

haha

Reply #191891 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Now resigning Bassy becomes critical - i hope McHale pretty much has him stitched up if not Minny is screwed...

Foye/Bassy
McCants/Miller/Brewer
Gomes/Brewer/Miller
Love/Smith/Al
Al/Collins

If Bassy walks Minny are truly ####ed... If he stays they are in at best stasis - the question is Love going to be Danny Ferry or a poor mans Larry Bird...

Note Larry Bird was another slow, anathlectic, white guy - who had to rely on his smarts and hard work as opposed to his natural gifts...

Once again McHale must have had a pretty good reason to pull the trigger on this given the reaction that would come down...

Miller is a good guy to have around - he can still score in bunches and is an ideal 6th man "Microwave" type guy to have...

I am intrigued by this move - surely there is a method to what prima facie looks like madness (note we got rid of a heap of ugly contracts in the process too)...

Reply #191895 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

All I can say is they are gonna stink either way, personally id rather stink with a potential superstar on my roster, then a potential only very good player.

If Mayo turns out to be the player he can be McHale is going to look like a right d*ickhead

Reply #191902 | Report this post

girl1  
Years ago

this is an absolute stupid trade. I don't see Minnesota making playoffs or getting more than 30 wins anytime soon, so i believe they should've kept Mayo and build around him. He will be the next NBA superstar, he has been compared with Kobe and TMAC, now y wouldnt u keep him. The wolves gm is an absolute wanka with no sense. At pick 3 Mayo is a steal. The next MJ. Keep him and build around him. he will be ur franchise player.

Reply #191918 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Stupid trade. With Mayo and Jeff, you had a pairing that could be successful for the next decade. Instead, they go out and get another PF and a 28 year old wing.

I fail to see the upside there....

Reply #191923 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't AL and Love play the same position?
ie- Too short to play center center?

So the Wolves are saying- instead of a foye/Mayo backcourt with Al in the middle, they would rather Foye carry the backcourt and have a stronger (but ultimately failed) frontcourt.

We just saw again how important defence is to winning champs- if his intention is to build a contender, then AL and Love will not get it done. Miller is a nice add but again- he would be a luxery guy on a good defensive team that has a strong defender in the middle. Think spurs or magic.

Now with regard to Memphis... Could it be we actually have a Gay/Mayo backcourt? lol!

Reply #192079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be a kiss of death, but I think it was Hollinger at ESPN who thought the trade favoured the Timberwolves.

Reply #192093 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Yeah well, they did get Miller who is a past ROY winner (thin year) and a top shooter which is handy when you project that the wolves now have two post scorers to draw in the D... But the problem will never be scoring, it will stopping the other team scoring... this just means you lose games 120-112 instead of 105-95...

You gotta have the balance between top defending and top scoring.

I think it would be easier for a GM to develop a defensive squad, then try to find a couple of guys that can facilitate the offence re Pistons, Spurs and Celtics, than getting a scoring team and picking a couple of key defenders re Phoenix, Now Orleans and Utah.

Problem with that is that it doesn't put bums on seats.....it just might get you a parade though...

Reply #192110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754