Chewy
Years ago

NH: Grand National Hurdle 2008

Today was one of the biggest days in jumps racing in Australia, the running of the Grand National Hurdle at Flemington.

Of the 13 runners today, only 4 completed the 4350m trek over the jumps. 3 horses fell, causing two other horses to fall as they couldn't avoid the fallen horses, whilst 4 other horses failed to finish as they didn't have enough energy and stamina to complete one of the toughest races on the Australian jumping calendar. Two horses who failed to finish, Chartered and Eveready were put down due to injury.

Today is seen as a dark day in Australia's racing history, with many calling for jumps racing to be banned.

I am of the opinion that jumps racing shouldn't be banned, but changes should certainly be made at the end of the season. It would be wise for races to have more hurdles to jump, as the race would be significantly slower, causing less injuries and falls to occur.

Hurdles are different to steeplechases in that hurdles are significantly lower than steeples. Steeplechases are much slower due to this, as horses can't just brush through them. As a result, we see less injuries and falls in steeples.

The main reason I am interested in this topic is I happen to know the trainer of Chartered, who was put down today, as well as owning Frenzilian, who was placed third in the race.

What is your opinion on jumps racing? Should it be banned, or should changes be made to make it safer for both horse and jockey? Or should there be no changes at all?

Topic #16294 | Report this topic

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Jumps races will probably end up dying anyway... I mean who would want to be a jumps jockey after watching a race like that? A couple of sickening falls over in NZ as well.

Reply #192019 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754