moose
Years ago

Boomers team to Europe

Noticed on the BA website that Helliwell, Olgivy have been cut. That leaves 13. (12 to tour plus Bogut) One more to go by July 4.

Topic #16298 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldnt understand what they were doing with ogilvy? The kid is a gun!! Why not give him a decent run in the "trial" games and see what he's got! Really was hoping he would make the team. Is Jawai in the 13?? He bloody well should be!

Reply #192037 | Report this post

moose  
Years ago

Jawai is NOT in the 13.

Reply #192038 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

please tell me hinder is not in the 13.....

Reply #192046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the link to the BA website:

http://linky.com.au/ir1sf

Three athletes  Italy-based big man Wade Helliwell, 20-year old young gun A.J. Ogilvy, and NBA draftee Nathan Jawai - were released from international duty after the Boomers clinched the 2008 Ramsay Shield against New Zealand on Saturday evening, 94-57.

The Boomers squad is now 13-strong, with NBA star Andrew Bogut set to join the team at their final training camp on the Gold Coast in mid July.

That means one more cut must be made before the team is submitted to the AOC on July 4th.

The Australia Post Boomers team to tour Europe:
(name, height, last club played with)

David ANDERSEN
Forward/Centre / 212cm / CSKA Moscow (Russia)

Chris ANSTEY
Centre / 213cm / Melbourne Tigers

David BARLOW
Guard/205cm/Melbourne Tigers

CJ BRUTON
Guard / 188cm / Brisbane Bullets

Joe INGLES
Guard / 203cm / South Dragons

Luke KENDALL
Guard / 193cm / Sydney Kings

Patrick MILLS
Guard / 181cm / St. Mary's College Gaels (USA)

Brad NEWLEY
Guard / 198cm / Panionios (Greece)

Matthew NIELSEN
Forward / 209cm / Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)

Shawn REDHAGE
Forward / 203cm / Perth Wildcats

Glen SAVILLE
Guard / 197cm / Sydney Kings

Mark WORTHINGTON
Forward / 202cm / Sydney Kings

Personally, I think Kendall is going to be the last player cut.

Reply #192048 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Jawai should be there instead of Saville. The only reason I could come up with why his not in the team is perhaps he wants to work out as hard as possible to make it with Toronto. Also Kendall being in the team is a joke. Hopefully sense prevails and he will be the last one kicked out of the team for the Olympics.

Reply #192049 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

this will boost jingles draft chances next year if he gets any time to shine... but still think jawai should be in the team... hes one of our best bangers inside by far

Reply #192052 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

How does that work. A player being in the best league in the world but still not being able to make the cut. Who is actually picking the teams. Is it boy goorge? Or is it BA? Savile should definitely be in the team if nathan can't get into it.

Reply #192058 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

im pretty sure its not the final team for beijing, jawai should replace saville and aaron bruce should replace kendall, does anyone know if the team for beijing has to be taken from these 13?

Reply #192063 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

luke kendall is a joke. jawai would be great to have on the side, deserves to be there the problem being we already have 3 good bigs.

Reply #192064 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

jawai was cutt from internation duties, the team is pretty much settled. I think Kendall will get cut. Today Ogilvy, Halliway and Jawai were cutt. Leaving one spot which most likely i suggest would have to be kendall. But hey who knows with goorj, but i would say kendall as he is no longer playing in bou gorj nbl team.

Reply #192069 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Im only guessing but id say the reason jawai was cut is because he is a young player who is yet to prove himself on the international stage as of yet. He didn't take part in the recent trainings and games with the team and therefore was cut. Otherwise he is clearly good enough to be in there.

Reply #192070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm surprised gorjian didnt pick russell hinder!

but kendall still makes it tho..

Reply #192073 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kendall is surely the one to make room for Bogut...

Reply #192077 | Report this post

Flinders 66  
Years ago

Can't go away to an international tournament with only 2 point guards. If one gets injured your tournament is screwed.

Kendall will make it unfortunately as 12th man.

Reply #192081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys its pretty simple to me. Jawai was cut as he has already said that he will be working his butt off to make the raptors. This will be leaving no time for the boomers.

Aaron Bruce has also been working his butt off for the draft. Seeing he hasn't been training in Goorj's system and he had a very very average year in college, he's probably on the same level as Kendall.

Kendall still could be chosen I think, and its only because Goorj will want 3 point guards. Like the US have Kidd, Paul, Williams. Barlow could step in as PG, however someone like Chris Paul will run rings around a 6"9 temp PG/swingman.

In saying all that I think that Goorj has picked our best AVAILABLE side and either Kendall, Saville or Ingles will be the last one cut. Probably should be Kendall.

P.S. I'm gonna cop a lot of flack from this but I still think Newley is struggling and should start on the bench. Barlow should take his starting SG position. IMO. Move Wortho to the starting 3.

Team should be:

Bogut / Anstey
Anderson / Nielson
Worthington / Redhage / Saville
Barlow / Newly / Ingles
Bruton / Mills

Worthington and Redhage can step into the 4. Barlow and Ingles can go to the 3. Barlow can go to the 1 if need be. Anderson can go to the 5. Pretty well rounded team with a lot of talent. In goorj's system might go OK. I'm still not getting my hopes up.

Reply #192083 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Interesting to see Saville still there, particularly after comments made during the Boomers/Tall Blacks Game 2.

Reply #192087 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Wow Barlow is taller than Worthington, that came as a shock to me! Looks like a good squad and i agree that i think kendall will be the last cut.

Reply #192089 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon Chris Paul runs rings around all of the guards in the NBA so we have to look at who is the best for containment and not at who can stop him.

Reply #192091 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Kendall cut you would think,that is why Goorj is giving Barlow so much time at the point.

Jawai was cut purely because petulent Goorj has spat it cos he hasn't trained with the team.

"Wortho/Redhage/Saville" this spot will be our achilles heel at the games.All 3 have tendencies to go missing in games.

Reply #192092 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Andersen at Power Forward has got to be our strength.

Genuine Proven Euro 4 man who shot 54% from the 3 point line in the Euro cup last season.

Reply #192169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

saville has played terribly during the lead up games.. and kendell barely got on the court. KENDELL IS BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD and BADDLYYY needs to be cut

Reply #192283 | Report this post

steve hull  
Years ago

I THINK IF BOOMERS GET THROUGH THE FIRST ROUND IT WILL BE THEN THAT WE FIND OUT HOW MUCH WE REALLY NEED SMITH AND S MACK DEFENSIVLY.

Reply #194824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bump

Reply #802411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go away. Shut it down.

Reply #802470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh?

Reply #802472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754