James W
Years ago

Raptors plans for Jawai

Found this while trawling the Raptors site for info. Looks like he might have to wait awhile to get into the big show:

"Jawai has been on Toronto's radar for months. Director of player personnel Jim Kelly scouted him in the Australian league last season. But it's likely the Raptors will leave the 21-year-old to play in Europe or Australia for at least a year or two."

From this article (mainly about Jermaine O'Neal): http://linky.com.au/rcljr

So Cairns Taipans fans might get to see him again this coming season.

Topic #16324 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

If he returns to Australia, I'll be glad to see him @ The Dome along with Mee.

Reply #192326 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Thats not true - he'll be in the roster next season

Reply #192327 | Report this post

JORDAN 123  
Years ago

He is going to a dud team hopefuly he can lift their game thats if he gets a go

Reply #192328 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Ermmm.. Raptors Are Not Dud.

Last Time I checked Anyway. haha.

Reply #192347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah they are not bad they got a 7'0 shooting guard come SF, come PF, come C.

Reply #192354 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

like the linked blog - Raptors Blog By Doug Smith as follows:=

"He's a beast, man. He's a monster."

That comes for Canadian national team veteran David Thomas, who's played about a decade Down Under and is uniquely familiar with Toronto's second-round draft pick.

"He's dunking everything in the paint in our league."

I'm sure we'll all learn a lot more about young Jawai when training camp opens (we need good stories to fill oft-boring days) so here's one angle we'll have to pursue, courtesy Thomas.

"The story was, they found him off the coast of Australia playing basketball barefoot & that's what we had heard in Australia& He comes from an area that's not well off.

"Great kid, humble, good head on his shoulders."

At least we have a journos block here who is obviously close to Canadian basketball and Raptor ball who should give us entertaining updates on his progress in pre-season camp.

Reply #192378 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And from the same Blog....

"So, all the wheeling and dealing is done for now. All that's left to do is make all the moves official, sign Nathan Jawai and the summer's work is done."

I reckon he will make the roster and play some minutes.

Reply #192404 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What avbout the raptors marketing angle?

If i was the owner i'd be saying- get this guy minutes in garbage time every chance we get. Promote the bare-foot Aussie story and give everyone at the game free BBQ-ed prawns if Jawai dunks...

Reply #192406 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Quagmire are you kidding me?? not likely but i do like the garbage minutes to an extent. Hopefully Jawai can impress enough to be a backup center for the raps.

Reply #192469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754