mr clutch
Years ago

cooper

has anyone noticed that he hardly ever posts up? he hangs around the 3 point line and is virtually inaffective on the offensive end. as much as i hate to say it but i think rees deserves the starting spot ahead of him. rees may not fill up the stat sheet he does more 1%ers and plays better defense even though coop blocks more shots.

Topic #1636 | Report this topic

mr siebs  
Years ago

I also think Oscar should be starting instead of holmes. Holmes may be doing alright defensively but some of the terrible decisions he makes in offence are inexcusable, and he's managed to get to the NBL without anyone teaching him how to shoot. Oscar (George) Forman (Grill) is by far and away giving more to the team when he is on than Holmes, and it might just give Holmes the kick up the arse he needs.

Reply #18672 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah, it was frustrating to see in the last couple of games, as the shot clock is running dangerously low, Coops flashes just at the top of the key, gets the ball, fakes a jumper and then passes off leaving someone to take a tough shot with 1 or 2 seconds left.

Apart from this I think Coops is doing well, and I think him starting is grooming for next season when he will need to take a bigger role.

Yeah, Smyth has showed he is not afraid to tinker with the starters, and I think Oscar has earned a chance. I"m a big Oscar fan (and not because Isaac runs this..), and think Oscar is getting no where near the minutes, or run on court, that he deserves.

Reply #18675 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

yes i think oscar should start ahead of holmes. holmes has struggled this season and he's turning in to a black hole. i think he should start on the bemch until he gets his confidence back and is playing like he did last season.

Reply #18689 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah i agree.i have seen many times cooper camp between like the middle of the 3 point line and the halfway line to recieve a pass.what the hell is he doing out there.rees should start.oscar has had a random season so far and should be a sixth man of the year favourite.

Reply #18694 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that when Holmes looks to score inside only, he is a lot more effective than the fadeaway which hasn't been very reliable. Anything inside is also more likely to draw a foul and send him to the line. Dusty gets blocked a lot, but Jacob rarely so (that I've noticed, anyway).

He's also done pretty well bringing the ball up -- I know he's slower than Maher and gets harrassed a lot by defense, but he holds onto it -- ultimately I think that's teaching him better handle of the ball under NBL pressure.

As for Oscar, I think the most important thing for his style of play right now is for teammates to find him when he's open. I do know that getting consistent minutes is working well for him, and he's playing a lot more of the final quarters than he has in previous seasons.

Reply #18717 | Report this post

For the record, i think the addition of Cooper to the Adelaide line up has given us something we have missed for a lot of seasons and that is a shot blocker. I dont want to pretend the guy is a 'Simon Dwight' or 'Willie Simmons' because he is not, however, he does block quite a few shots but importantly, he changes lots. Not to many players would attempt to block Mark Bradtke 2 feet from the hoop, but i saw Cooper do this with great effect on Wednesday night. Leave him in the starting quintet.

Reply #18724 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

if you have a look at coopers body and consider his lack of basketball experience then that may explain some of his style of play. I like the idea of starting Coops for the jump-gives us a good chance at first possession and then rotate rees and cooper as required. it seems useful to get rees in early and start wearing down bodies. Also it seems Phil and Steve are developing preferences for combinations (although tonight if we dont have darren and jason they will have to run jacob as a part time guard to rest Willie and Brett.
As for jake's game-although he has not achieved as highly as expected that is not unexpected for his age and he has generally contributed to the team. I think i would still start Jake as oscar is doing just fine in the current rotation and obviously coming in with reesy seems to be a good combination-although it depends on the opposition line up as earlier in the season there were times that the mobility of coops and oscar on at the same time was an asset.
Possibly early and quick rotations will be used tonight with a 7 man rotation and a few minutes from snake if required. Lets hope we don't see any foul trouble as the guys will be down on energy i think.

Reply #18729 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

dont be silly....put the snake in and keep jacob at 3...snake will do the job....20 and 10 coming up for slippery.

Reply #18733 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

While I think Oscar has been great this season so far I don't think he's quite ready to replace Holmes as a starter. Oscar has found his niche at the moment and I don't think he should be rushed into a role that he isn't ready for. His points generally only come from open shots. Whereas Jacob has the ability to create a bit more. I see no need to disrupt what Oscar is doing right now.

And besides Forman got more minutes than Holmes against the Tigers anyway. He played startes minutes and got 4th highest court time on the team.

Reply #18743 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Speaking of snake, looks like he might see some home court action tonight.

Boti is reporting WIlliams has re-aggravated his injury (no...not re-sprained his heart muscle...re injured his foot) and Ng's finger will keep him out, leaving us guardless on the bench, except for (shudder) Gower, and Snake.

Snake impressed in his very limited time against Melbourne, maybe he has done what Bell did last season and pushed for some further consideration.

Reply #18754 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

How about Oscar to start at centre to spread teams out to the perimeter, then the 36ers can skip pass for open shots have have wider driving lanes for holmes, farley and co.

Reply #18796 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

i dont think oscar can play center. eventhough he's tall he plays more of a sf position. i think holmes would be more suited to play center

Reply #18830 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

another good game from cooper againts sydney - almost cost us the game cause he cant make a layup

Reply #18897 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

cooper lacks in all areas.without jacob now i would start-maher farley forman rychart rees

Reply #18901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think cooper sucks at bball he runs like a big girl and cant shoot and turns the ball over numerous times. hes tall but forman is to.

forman over cooper any day

Reply #21454 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Well Anonymous, right back at ya. Cooper is a centre, Forman isn't close at that position. Cooper's value is greater than his running style, which is very Michael Johnson-esque!

Reply #21457 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Yeah cooper prances down the court like a freakin reindeer!

Reply #21463 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

How many blocks and shot-alters has he done this season? He is INVALUABLE to the 6ers this year

Reply #21466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754