wondering
Years ago

div 4 teams

what do people think of coaches, not coaching to win but coaching to be fair. 9 players in a team, and coach subs 4 on and 4 off teh entire game (even when one lot of players get a 10 point lead, then the next group on the lose the lead and the game), plays players same amount of time whether or not they train. Stronger players getting fed up and losing interest, weaker players complain they want the time. Where do you draw the line, I realise players need to learn, but what about the stronger players either going up an age group next season, or ones that should be going up a grade. This is under 16s we are talking about. Do players just keep quiet and leave it to the coach.

Topic #16369 | Report this topic

Answering  
Years ago

Everyone in your team pays the same fees, so yes the coach should give everyone as fair amount of court time as is possible. He/She should be able to rotate the weaker ones through with the stronger ones so it does not have as much of an impact on the game. But 4 on 4 off is lazy coaching in my book unless he has a mixture of better skilled and less skilled in each group, and is swapping size for size. Now if in fact the weaker players aren't training without a valid reason eg illness, school commitments etc, the Coach should take into consideration and reward the kids that do train, But how do you know what their reasons are, I would have thought only the Coach would know that anyhow.

Reply #192858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is policy at most clubs, certainly mine, that all team members should be given equal court time because they pay equall fees; now that might not be every game, but should even out over the season....in a perfect world.

Reply #193149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That certainly doesn't happen at some clubs!

Reply #193279 | Report this post

wondering  
Years ago

giving players a fairly equal amount of time is not so much of a problem, its the subbing of four on and four off through out the game. Not one player can actually get warmed up and started before they are sitting on the bench again

Reply #193294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754