Quagmire
Years ago

Greg Oden ROY? What the?

Read in a few articles now, writers refering to Oden as "rookie of the year candidate.."

I assume then that since he didn't bounce an NBA ball last year due to injury, that it means he can receive the award despite being drafted in 07?

Can i just get some conformation on this before i put any money down for ROY tips 08/09!?

Topic #16396 | Report this topic

its the year you first play. Like Europeans getting drafted a few years before they play in the league

Reply #193148 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

If you suffer a season ending injury in the first game of the season, you are still eligible for ROY the following year.

Reply #193157 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Luis Scola being a perfect example. Drafted in 2002 by the Spurs but didn't score a contract until he was signed by Houston in 07/08. He was a rookie at 30 odd years of age.

Reply #193158 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thanks lads, i'm off to sports bet...

Reply #193159 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Hmmm... Unless Oden is at really long odds I think I'd put my money elsewhere (Rose, Beasley, Mayo).

Oden is stepping into a good lineup already and IMO will not have the same chance to be a standout like some of the others above.

Reply #193163 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sabonis is a better example, drafted in 1984 and 1985, (not many would have been drafted twice!), but only made it to the States in 1995. He was then runner up for Rookie of the Year that season.

Reply #193166 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

He is coming into an awesome spot- He has no concerns for scoring, he could dominate in defence and still get 12-15ppg. If the Blazers make the play-offs, he has to get some credit for that. Beasley and Rose have good chances, Rose perhaps will suffer from the fact his team will be weaker and his numbers won't jump out at you....but he is playing in the L-east conference... B-easy will put up good numbers but really- wade will score the points and Matrix/Haslem will be getting the boards so his numbers from college will not be translating to the show.

Ultimately the team success will determine the winner and if the Blazers make the playoffs in the LOADED west conf, and he is starting and scoring 12-15pts, grabbing 11+ boards and blocking 2.5+ shots....he wins. Pretty good chance of that happening too.

Reply #193169 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Compare Horford and Durant. Horford (like Oden probably will) averaged a double double on a playoff team. Durant stats were much better and his team sucked yet Durant still won ROY.

Same will happen with Beasley or Rose for example. Even IF (big 'if') the Blazers do make the playoffs and Oden has the numbers you are talking about I think that a dominant Rose or Beasley season should be enough to win it - plus IMO both Miami and Chicago are playoff chances and are likely to improve more than Portland (in terms of number of games won compared to last season)

Reply #193204 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

News just in- Beasley tore in his first game- scored 28 or something and led heat over bulls 94-70.
Now that was against Thomas and Noah for the bulls so draw your own conclusions...

Do i need to put a spoiler for a summer league game???!!!

I don't think Rose will put up the numbers needed to win ROY, also, traditionaly PG's take longer to develop.

Beast or Oden, with Mayo the only other option, but an outside one at best.

Run TMC- Beast may well put up Durant type numbers, but Oden will do a hell of a lot more than Horford.
He'll score a lot more and board a little better, while blocking a ton o shots.

Reply #193210 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I've got my doubts whether Oden will do much more than Horford - we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Reply #193212 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

David Robinson is also an example. Was the No1 pick in 1987 and was ROY in 1990 after doing his Navy service.

Reply #193242 | Report this post

wow thanks 10 people for saying what i did

Reply #193255 | Report this post

Years ago

If Greg Oden had played one minute of NBA basketball during the 2007-08 regular season, he would be INELIGIBLE for the 2008-09 regular season Rookie of the Year award. It's not like the NAB Rising Star in the AFL, where you have to be under a certain amount of games at the start of the season. It's based on the first season you play minutes. Therefore, Greg Oden is eligible for the 2008-09 NBA Rookie of the Year Award.

Reply #193343 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754