Kent Brockman
Years ago

Newley or Hodge who would you prefer?

If it came down to it who would you want taking up 10 points space in the roster.

The import who could bail at any minute or the guy who will be the Maher replacement for the next 10 years?

Topic #16420 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

hmm the import who will bail at any minute or the local who has already bailed??

Reply #193374 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

I would take Hodge. He is the better player by far. However, i doubt it he would actually stay here, with dreams of playing in the NBA.
Newley wouldn't put up the same numbers that Hodge did(I remember Hodge put up a few triple-double's last season), but he would certainly feel more comfortable and likely to stay.
Hard Choice, but i would rather take Hodge, considering that the 36ers were playing awesome ball when he was at the club last season. He makes the team better.

Reply #193379 | Report this post

GoMetro  
Years ago

Newley. Hodge played late in the season. Teams were poorly prepared for him in most games. Hodge can get to the basket well but Newley is a more complete player in offense.

Reply #193384 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'd say Newley. Especially given Ballinger may be playing as an Aussie in 2009/2010 and we could get two more imports. Schenscher, Ballinger, Newley, Import, Import: sounds ok to me.

Reply #193386 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd take the Hodge. He achieved a few triple double's, made the team better, drew crowds and excitement. Far more entertaining and the better player.

Reply #193389 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Hodge...Excitment!...Results!

Reply #193394 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Kent - Why do you believe that if Newley came back he would be here for good?

Other than Maher, Can you name a current quality NBL player that has played for more than 8 seasons and only played for 1 club?

Like any other player, Newley would go with the best offer and wouldnt sign again with an NBL club without a NBA/Europe out clause I would imagine.

Reply #193395 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Fair point Skip. my thoughts are that once here he would be less likely to leave as if you dont crack it first time round as others have failed to do, history will show that you rarely get a good second chance.

Reply #193397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mat Campbell for Wollongong

Reply #193400 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

True, But I wouldnt class him a quality myself. Good, but not Quality.

Reply #193401 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Hodge
Only for the fact that he was one of the most exciting players i've seen since willy in 02

Player of the week a few times as well

I think he would be a massive advertising piece for any NBL team to get numbers up

Reply #193410 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

gotta take hodge, like newley but plain and simply hodge can do it all.

Reply #193418 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Hodge is far far better. He can do it all and is an excitement machine.

Reply #193423 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hodge... I don't think any real comparison needs to be done.

If you want one, compare stats.

Besides, I'd expect Newley to honor his original agreement with the Sixers and play for them should his NBA aspirations die... but I doubt he'd do that now.

Reply #193426 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

Newley is overrated IMO. He is a good player, but the expectation was that he would come back and dominate for the Boomers. Has he done that?
No. He has struggled with his shot and struggled overall.
However, he is the kind of player, who is up and down. I believe he can have a great Olympics , simply because he was an NBA draft selection-He must have had skill to get where he has.

Reply #193431 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

So regardless of what Newley does in the olympics, the chances of him getting a spot on the opening night roster for Houston is almost nil? By and large i doubt too many 2nd round players taken from non top
European leagues or the NCAA have been given patience and a chance in the NBA more than a year after they were drafted, correct me if i'm wrong.

Reply #193445 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Hodge!!! Excitement machine and has it all.

Reply #193452 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Curtley, I think the same could be said for any late 2nd round pick, not just players with backgrounds like Newley. But if those players end up being good enough, there will always be a spot for them.

Reply #193459 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Can't beleive what i'm reading!!!

Hodge is the better player but you sign the home town boy for sure.

The top sides in the NBL all have one thing in common, top level home grown talent. Once you have that you can add imports, they are a hell of a lot easier to find than top flight Aussies!!!!

I am a huge fan of Hodge but no-way am i putting him infront of Brand Newley! (shout out to Beantown)

Reply #193462 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Schenscher, Ballinger, Newley, Import, Import: sounds ok to me"

Sounds like 50 points to me.

It'd have to be a hell of a bench :-)

Reply #193465 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Love to see both but cant this year but Hodge as otherwise will be playing against us in for the illegal melb. tigers and newley cant due to contract

Reply #193483 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Neither 2 reasons

Newley still all about himself....Watched Boomers vs New Zealand...Doesnt play team bball

Hodge....As someone put at anytime could bail

Reply #193511 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

obvious answer.

Hodge has actually played an NBA game.

Newley hasnt.

nuff said.

Reply #193556 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

DICKO, sorry, just read your reply. Yes it would, but who have we really had come off our bench in the last 5 years who is any good anyway?

Reply #193688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you could get newley for 10 years you would silly not to take him over hodge. when you look at the players we have this year and fitting newley into that team, its definately a finals team and for a few years. where if you get hodge for a year or two then you might miss out on that quality hometown player.

Reply #193721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO i would fit both into my team. Schenser ballinger newley hodge and davidson. whos going to stop that 5.

Reply #193722 | Report this post

SydneyKings22  
Years ago

^^ South and the Tigers.

Reply #193723 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If i had to chose id take Hodge as he is a far better all round player and one of the most exciting players going around, will score as much as Newley plus give u more in rebounds, assists, ball handling and defence. I also think Hodge is more likely, if he misses the nba i dont think he enjoyed Europe (i think he said that in interviews) so is moire likeley to play here than Newley who seems happy in Greece.
If i had the chance id grab them both, im pretty sure prior to the Winitana signing we had 8 players signed and 19 points available, im pretty sure Newley was a 9 last time he was in the NBL so there fore if Newley was any chance id cut Winitana and bring them both in, assuming money wasnt an issue.
If Newley did happen to be a 10 (which wouldnt surprise me), id downgrade Kersten or Hill (if they are both ones then maybe might have to sacrifice Cooper or Davidson) for a 1 point rookie like Burdon or Gerlach or Hoban and clear up the extra point.
Now that would be a AWESOME team with a first 5 of Hodge, Newley, Holmes, Ballinger, Schenscher Bench of Davidson, Maher, Burdon or Hoban, Kersten or Hill, Cooper, that bench would be guard heavy but hodge, newley and holmes can all slide up one or 2 positions to make it all work and only Cooper, Maher and Davidson would get decent mnutes off the bench
Ah well i guess we can live in hope, cos that team would pack out the powerhouse and bring massive excitement back if it were ever possible.

Reply #193728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754