Years ago

NBA Salary Cap for 2008-09 Season

NBA Salary Cap for 2008-09 Season

The NBA has officially set their salary cap for the 2008-09 season - US$58.68 million.

The luxury tax threshold is US$71.15 million, and the mid-level exception is $5.585 million. Over-the-cap teams can only offer the mid-level exception to free agents.

A full article (from ESPN.com) can be found here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3479183

Topic #16422 | Report this topic

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

WOW, i can now understand all the fuss about getting picked in the first round and getting a guarenteed 3 years. What sort of salary do the top European teams offer (paper bags aside)? Also, what about the Filipino, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and South American teams?

Anyone know where i could find this sort of info?

Reply #193447 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

The internet?

Reply #193457 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The financial implications relate more to European players. It's interesting and it's been rumoured that European clubs will identify a young prospect, limit his minutes so his statistics are average, but just before they nominate for the NBA draft they offer the young prospect a bucket of money, but also write in a huge financial NBA-out clause.

The most a NBA franchise can pay another club to buy-out a contract is $500k. The rest has to be funded by the player. So if the Euro is picked late in the first round (lets say 22) and he has a $1 mill buy-out (team selecting offers to pay $500k and then the player has to find $500k). His first year wage is $947k minus the $500k he has to find. That is playing below the NBA poverty line, and usually a European team will offer more than this.

Fran Vazquez was a lottery pick, selected by Orlando. He chose to stay in Spain. If he joined the Magic, 1st year salary would be $1.4, 2nd would be $1.6, 3rd would be $1.7. I'll put money on it that Barcelona could and would pay more than this to retain him.

Another example is David Andersen. Whilst he was drafted in the second round, the amount of coin he was earning in Russia was worth more than what the Hawks would offer him. From day dot he's stated that he would like to play for the Hawks, but he would lose money to do that. I don't blame him, I wouldn't do it either.

Reply #193479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754