The_Champ33
Years ago

Ebi Ere Signs With Dragons

Ebi Ere has signed a deal with the Dragons and re-uniting with Goorjan.

The official announcement won't be until Monday.

This is a great signing for the Dragons and they look more dangerous now. The Melbourne derby's will be blockbusters and the best games of the season.

I wonder if there is an NBA out clause especially given he's on the Grizzlers roster.

Topic #16452 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

He was on the LAL summer league roster last year.

Reply #193780 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Salary Cap anyone? What a joke the NBL is.

Reply #193784 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Yeah this salary cap issue is shocking! BUT lets face it, unlike Sydney, If the Dragons are successful, then it will flow through to the entire NBL. As Victorian people WILL go to the games unlike the Kings fans which never did.

Good thing for the NBL that Ebe is back too, class import, and no matter how boring Goorj's system is, Ebe will still break through for some big time highlights!

Reply #193785 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If the 36ers can't compete in recruiting quality players like this, then how can they compete in the league? Its not a case of complaining about the salary cap, its a case of not being able to play the same game.

Reply #193786 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

EC - Who said the sixers couldnt compete for Ere's signature on a contract? Surely if we get Hodge we have done better than Ere?

IMO Ere was great during the season and had a real purple patch at one stage where he could do no wrong - but come playoffs he wasnt able to carry the Bullets into the finals. Also I feel he can be a little one dimensional in that he needs to score to be productive - and if his shot doesnt fall then he struggles, whereas Hodge found more ways that just scoring to contribute and brought so much confidence to the team. Also the way he plays - with the great attitude and excitement made the Sixers a real drawcard for fringe supporters towards the end of the season. Lets hope for the Sixers and NBL's sake he comes back to Adelaid for another season.

Reply #193792 | Report this post

SydneyKings22  
Years ago

I agree witth EC

Reply #193797 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Statman, i'm sorry to say this but hodge isn't coming back next season. If he doesn't make a roster he's going to the development league. I know he said that he is going to come back to the 36ers but the fact is that he's not coming back, not if he is serious on making the NBA.

Reply #193798 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thanks bolks, exactly what I was thinking. Statman, we haven't got Hodge yet so what's the point in saying I would rather have Hodge over Ere. The choice is not ours to be made yet. Apart from that, at 27.1 points per game, Ere was the top scorer last season. Any player that does nothing else but score that highly in a team is a huge asset no matter how you look at it. At the end of the game, the points tally is what matters. With Ere being available, I would have been pushing to get him instead of waiting for the uncertainty of Hodge. I would love to see Hodge come back and continue the same form here as when he left. Unfortunately the only one who has a say in that matter is Hodge himself and to date, he has given no indication of coming back.

Reply #193813 | Report this post

Bolder  
Years ago

I think Ebe has the ability to be a bit of a liability at times. Im very happy for the league that he is in the league, because the 'uneducated fan' will love the 'Im sure there is an I in team' highlights he offers, but id struggle to watch his play alongside a Jacob Holmes style as well! As fans lets just show a little patience. Julius Hodge is not the only guy in the world who would be a instant superstar in this league. IF he does get a gig in the NBA, thats fine, all that means is that he has taken the spot of another guy eyeing an NBA contract. There will be a lot of quality guys that just miss out on the NBA, we head hunt them when the time is right! let it play out and see what happens in the next month or so...

Reply #193847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well, another stacked Goorjian team, another future collapsed club. When will people learn you can't just spend money and worry about the future later!! You have to live within your limits.
Just for once I'd like to see if boy gorj can coach a normal team. Let's see how he goes with Wollongongs team.

Reply #193879 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I kind of agree with the sentiment, Anonymous, but in fairness, Goorj did pretty well with Sydney in seasons where they were NOT "stacked". Also, a LOT of those players in his Melbourne teams were either local product or improved by Goorjian's system. Bear, Mackinnon, Smith, even Anstey are much better players for having played with him. I wonder what your own Head Coach would say about it?

Although good players, Hinder, Wortho, Neilsen, Kendall, etc were critical to his success in Sydney, but none of them was bought in to stack the team, they were local boys who developed in his system, Neilsen less so, as he was clearly on a pretty impressive path beforehand.

Yes, Goorj GETS good players....but he has also proven that he can MAKE good players.

Reply #193901 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

By the way....funny how long it's taken them to announce Ebi.

2 months after the fact? Wow!?!?!?

Reply #193902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754