...v interesting
Years ago

great tussle for gold @ u18s

what a comeback - fingers crossed....

Topic #16454 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

do not cross too long or hard, old habits die hard. Good effort though to reach final. Once again fell at the final hurdle. Bad luck

Reply #193793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

I see a common theme with your points - a lot of negative posts constantly talking about how this group contstantly underachives.

Ever been in the cauldron of a national champtionships yourself - how did you go?? We're all ears.

Very interesting if you go quiet on this one, since you have been so loud in bagging the team.

Reply #193829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

can I remind you of your post two weeks ago?

"God help us then. This group of boys consistently under perform. Bet they don't make the final as everyone preedicts."

Eat dirt! And from now on please spare us your negative shite. I cannot see how anyone could possibly get anything beneficial out of putting people down as you do in your posts.

Our metro boys did extremely well. Even the finals could have gone the other way: they were only five points behind in the third quarter, but a bit unlucky with their shots (compared to a very lucky Vic team in that respect).
The boys can and should be proud of their achievement, as they beat everyone, including the gold medalists, to reach the final and win the silver.

Well done boys!!

Reply #193837 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

The SA Metro did a very fine job. I thought that beating VIC Metro in pool play was a really amazing feat. Credit to them.

Reply #193844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA boys played well all week. However I wouldn't say that the Vic boys were lucky with their shots, they also played well and were very clinical in their play.

A very high standard of play for a final between SA and the Vics

Reply #193867 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Actually have won nationals myself champ. Been a state captian and played NBL. All as a player. You have no idea who you are talking too. The point I make is this group of kids for all of the hype that has surrounded them from under 14's whether they created it or their parents and the coaches have not won anything. They are talented and have done well in the fishbowl that is SA bball. That is all. daly and Marriott may go on to bigger better things but I doubt it. Daly too small and selfish, marriot too soft.

Great kids , just my opinion.

Reply #193876 | Report this post

outrageous  
Years ago

Maybe when you sleep champ!

Can't come up with one name that has done all those 3 that would know anything about junior basketball.

My opinion is that you are a small minded loser that is so low on self esteem that they need to put other people down because they are more successful than you.

PS you were wrong abou them making the finals. I would suggest that you will be worng again.

Reply #193878 | Report this post

Well done boys!  
Years ago

anon,

Being knowledgeable you would know that Brett Maher's teams continually finished in the minor placings until Under 20's.

These players have consistently performed at a high level at State and national level without winning one (yet). They work incredibly hard and have done South Australia proud. 2nd place is a great result.

I don't think anyone has ever hyped them up the way you say. They have devoted much of their lives to becoming great basketballers and they do not deserve your continual "2nd place is the first loser" line.

I know it's your opinion and you are entitled to it but most people would probably prefer you keep it to yourself. If you are going to say something then praise them on yet another great result at a major tournament.

P.S. Calling Under 18 players soft and selfish may again be your opinion but this does contravene forum rules as well. Your comments are inappropriate.

Reply #193881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can't say that these guys are not "winners" therefore are not good players. I would argue that the fact that they can't get gold medals is actually a sign of (among other things) their individual talents not meshing into a cohesive unit, not that they arent individually talented. All it shows is a lack of skill in one important area of the game, but doesn't condemn any of them to be nobodys in Australian basketball!

Reply #193883 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

outraegous learn how to spell. why do you get so upset. I am not saying they have not done well at all. You can be successful without being ultimate winners, you can still be "soft" and successful to a certain degree. A lot of soft guys have played at the elite. all they have done is not win anything outside of SA fishbowl and never will. I call that under achieving on a national front, not being negative. I know the coaches expected to win this time round. thats not my fault. I know this group muh better than you would dare to believe. I know every little mannerism they possess and yes they have worked hard but they are not quite as good as they think they were led by their peers to believe they are. That is all.

Reply #193885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

you call winning silver on a national front "under achieving"??

They have done well by working as a very tightly knit team. They have none of the top players, and they have some, but not many in the top ten of any category. This goes to show that they made the most of their team effort.

Stating that "all they have done is not win anything outside of SA fishbowl and never will" while they have just won silver in a national championship is completely laughable.

They had already shown you up because you stated that they wouln't make the final, which they did.

So you have "won nationals yourself" (wow, that is some achievement for a single player), "you were the captain"( but considering your experience you of course realise that there's nothing significant about being captain). You played NBL?? How long for what side?

I'm sorry, but your claims to fame don't give any strength to your negative claims for the U18 achievement.

The oys won silver and they did so as a team. No individual achievement could have got them there.
Well done.

Reply #193887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon = loser.

Slagging off juniors and "talking up" (read: lying) about his achievments.

What a hero....

Reply #193890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many seasoned Vic observers, some of whom I know have won Nationals or played international and include experienced coaches, thought that SAM would probably win the Mens GF short of an upset. Unfortunately for SAM an upset did happen ... Vic got off to a flyer hitting its 3 pointers, its biggg played his best game of the tournament and the starters stayed out of foul trouble whereas SAM guards simply did not get enough shots off or put the ball through hands being beaten 23-10 on assists.

Reply #193892 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, but how is coming second 'achieving' when everyone predicted you to do that ?

Reply #193912 | Report this post

outrageous  
Years ago

anon,

Again, you are nothing but a small minded loser who needs to lie to make themselves feel better.

You have never won a National Championship. You have never been a State Captain. And you have never played NBL.

As such your opinion is not valid! Because it is only that of an ignorant bystander.

Reply #193913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Libertine, because even making the top 4 is a great achievement in the current climate. Everyone is good. Look at the top 4 for the past 3 years.

2006 - NSW Country, WA Metro, NSW Metro, Tasmania
2007 - Vic Metro, WA Metro, Qld South, Vic Country
2008 - Vic Metro, SA Metro, Qld North, NSW Metro

That's 9 different sides in the top 4 in the last 3 years.

2nd is a great result. I don't think anyone actually predicted 2nd for this group. They were a top 3 group who were capable of winning it but the Vics were still the pre-tournament favourite, defending champs from last year and 16's two years ago. Anything less than 3rd would have been a disappointment.

Reply #193914 | Report this post

Come out anon!  
Years ago

"God help us then. This group of boys consistently under perform. Bet they don't make the final as everyone preedicts (sic).", said anon recently.

Will you now come forward, reveal your identity, give credit where credit is due and admit you were wrong for the frequent negative comments you have made over the past 2 weeks?

Or will you slink away into further anonymity with your tail between your legs?

Reply #193951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

outrageous anon did win a national championship and he was a state captain i know that for a fact but he did not play in the nbl he got sick of bball after under 18s and quit. Btw if i were you i would just ignore him because all he wants is a reaction and you are giving him that. Well done to the boys they put in a great team effort and did us proud.

Reply #194170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754