Jordan
Years ago

If Julius does come back ...

Just on the subject of Hodge and the Tigers, I can't see how he could fit under the points cap?

Anstey 10
Sammy Mac 10
Grizzard 10
Barlow 8
Crosswell - 8(7) from when he signed current contract
Hoare - 9(8) same reason as Crosswell
Corletto - 6(3)loyalty reductions??
Greer - 4(1) I'm guessing from earlier contract?
Johnson 3 - as the YAP must be in the starting 10

Now I calculate that as equalling 60 pts.

Hodge is a 10 and hence would not fit under the points cap. Surely even McPeake couldn't pull off a stunt like that to fit him in???

Even if they could re-rate someone, who? Anstey, Sammy Mac and Grizz are all legit 10s and Barlow is more a 9 than a 7, no other players could even be re-rated due to their internal ratings applying anyway.

Therefore, the Sammy Mac signing effectively means Melbourne will be playing with only 1 import this season, although I'm expecting McPeake to front with one of his usual tricks.

Thoughts?

Topic #16461 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

ps refer to the Dragons roster for examples.

Reply #193828 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Kad, the Dragons fit under the points cap at present ...

Horvath, Wortho & Ebi all 10s, cortez 9, gibbo & vukona 8s, burston 6, herbert & ingles 1s (from when they signed their contracts).

That's 9 players and 63 pts, leaves them 5 pts for their 10th player.

Now the SALARY cap, that might be a different story, but that's not what this topic's about.

Reply #193831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust me, Tigers still have 10 points to spare.

Reply #193834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How?

Reply #193841 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Grizzard is a 9, Johnson is only 1.

Reply #193846 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Well, if that's true, that would give 'em 10 pts to spare ...

Johnson's returned from college in the US, doesn't that make him an automatic 3 tho?

I'll have to take your word about Grizzard, although it's hard to believe that an MVP candidate from last season could be anything other than a 10.

Reply #193848 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I may be wrong about Johnson then, but Grizzard is listed as a 9 on the NBL site. I don't get it either, but he is.

Reply #193853 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Anstey 10
Mackinnon 10
Grizzard 9
Barlow 9
Hoare 8
Crosswell 7
Corletto 3
Greer 1
Johnson 1
O'Hea 1
Westover 1
Total= 60 points
Therefore only 8 points left to get themselves another player

68 total points allowed

Reply #193858 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I didn't think that Dev players counted against the points cap?

Reply #193896 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Yeah, only the top 10 players count against the points cap. So I guess it all hinges on whether Johnson is a 1 or a 3.

If he's a 1 then they've got 10 pts left, if he's a 3 then they've only got 8.

Does anyone with a better knowledge of the Points cap than myself (ie, Issac, skip, other learnered posters) know what Johnson's actual rating is?

For the sixers sake I sure hope he's a 3!!

Reply #193968 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

According to the NBL site..

Development players will be 1 point players if contracted as active roster players., unless they have spent 2 or more seasons at either the AIS or US college

..I beleive he spent 2 years at the AIS and had 1 season at College? Which would make him a three, but he was also signed as a 'YAP' (Young Australian Player. I dont know whether that then makes him a one.

He has been playing very well in the Big V. Scored 66 in a game a month or so ago.

Reply #193972 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

on the news. wildcats have made a strong play for hodge

Reply #194014 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, a good coverage of sixers first official training, today, on seven nine and ten. Hodge mentioned for Perth, Melbourne or Adelaide, if no NBA.

Reply #194017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dammit missed news.

Reply #194021 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Perth's in the mix now?? Damn ...
They def have room under the points cap.

Let's hope if Hodge returns to the NBL he honours his word, 'cos u'd have to think that both Melbourne and Perth could offer him more money that the Sixers (regardless of how legitimately that offer may be in re: to the salary cap.)

Reply #194034 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im pretty sure Perth have gone with Isiah Victor (from the Kings) to be their second import along side Hinson.

Reply #194091 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hodge will learn rather quickly at his first away game @ the Dome, what happens when you become a backstabber. I tell you what; I'd be going beyond the Shane Heal bollocking if he did a team change on us.

Nothing worse than saying on live TV that you'd come back IF you were heading back to NBL; then going against it.

And they wonder why fans get disgruntled with players half the time, "all talk and no walk"... hopefully won't happen in Hodge's case IF he comes back to the NBL.

Reply #194177 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

BM

If you played for a team and during the season was interviewed and the reporter asked if are you returning to (insert team name here...)?

You wouldn't respond, "Nah, the (inserted team name) suck. I don't like the Coach and the Fans are Feral".

You would Tow the Company line. "Yeah, I really like this team and I would play for Coach Sturty cos he's real cool etc etc etc......"

He has to keep his options open and then take the best offer for him and his Family.

Reply #194179 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Exactly Sturty and what if the Sixers offer him a shitty deal compared to Melbourne??? Would you take a pay cut to stay with the same company, or would you go to a competitor for another $50k a year???
Also i'm pretty sure it was discussed on here that Perth had signed Victor for 3 years.

Reply #194182 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Really Big Marty. The guy has been shot. I don't think a bit of booing and name calling is gonna stop him dropping a 30, 15 and 15 game on us.

Reply #194189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He not just committed on tv but to club so if he played for another team in nbl he would be a hypocrite and I would be leading the booing.
But believe he would honour his word.

Reply #194200 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754